Do we all over-estimate the weight of fish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Pylodictis Olivaris, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Is it just me or do we all over-estimate the weight of fish while being caught. If you are like me, do you try to questimate the weight of a fish while it is being caught only to find yourself coming up a few pounds short everytime? I don't ever exagerate the true size of a fish but it seems like in the heat of the moment while catching a fish it always seems to be bigger than it really is. I think it is optimism and adrenaline that causes it but it seems to never fail. This isn't just with the fish that I am fighting it is also when someone else in my boat has landed a lunker as well. I will be like "oh thats going to be at least 20 lbs" and then weigh to realize it is only 14 pounds. Stuff like that. Does this happen to you?

2. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    I know just what your talking about, I have done that many times. I think it is just the excitement that makes us think they are bigger than they are.

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sometimes when I catch one, I'll be like "Oh that's a good'n'!", but then it turns out to be a 3# or something. Sometimes those little boogers fight their heart out. Other times I will catch a good size one, but don't think anything of it 'till I get it to the bank, then reallize it's a bigger fish. Seems like the little ones hit hard, and the big ones peck around with the bait for a bit.

4. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I'm with Matt on this one. Or just guessing the weight before weighing it and be a long way off too.

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I must be the odd ball. I've been catching channels so long that I am usually within 1/2 pound of their true weight.

6. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jeff Im with you I can damnear hit it on the money give or take a little.

7. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N

Ill agree 110% with that statment. That and it makes for a better story........

"....then that fish jumped clean over the boat...."

Kenny

8. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    I usually under estimate the fish when im fighing it dont know why but it usually happens...

9. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    im just the oppisite of you guys its after i weight it. It gains 3-4 pounds lmao

10. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Todd I'm like You when it comes to guesing the weight on the larger catfish. But I can most always get within #3 pounds on a Chicken.LOL.J.D.
    :beat_brick:

11. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    They don't call them fish tales without a reason.

12. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i guess i am not a 'true' fisherman in the area of over emphasizing fish size. Normally if i catch a fish that is worth talkin about, i will weigh and measure the fish and post or brag accordingly.

I have never thought it was neceassary to make something better than what it was.

The best fishin trip of my life included a group of fish that NONE were over 15 inches long. I caught 4 brook trout from 13-15 inches long once in a lake in Oregon. Any of those fish would have been a "best of the year" based on size and aggressiveness.

my PB catfish is about 10 lbs....i've caught a lot in the 5-9 lb range....greatly look forward to breakin the 20# barrier and then on up from there..if i choose to do so.

cyas
    robert

13. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    im sure most of you do. I've never owned a fish scale so I dont bother with weights just length. tape measure is easier to carry in my pocket.

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    My rule for fishing is the same as deer hunting:

"If it is yours then it will weigh 10% more than it actually does, and if it is someone elses you will say it weighs 10% less than it actually does."

:lol:

15. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I seldom believe it unless, it is weighed on scales, not by guessing!!!

16. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    You know my Dad says every hook set or so it seems " oh thats a Good'n" LOL then he pulls up a 1/2 pounder!! I think his guestimater is broke!:roll_eyes:

17. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    LMAO!!! that was mean, LOL!!!

18. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I really dont have a good scale to weight what I catch.

19. dwordenfish

dwordenfish New Member

State:
    massachusetts
    I always fall for it in clear water. It looks twice as big and i'm yellin 'get the net'. Then you can swing the darn thing over the side it's embarrassing.
    In muddy water i SEEM TO UNDER ESTIMATE THOUGH. Its the eyes for sure and that clear water doing such a great job as a magnifying glass. It's especially fun though when the fish is really big, and then you see it magnified in clear water. MOBY DICK!

20. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i dont have no problem myself. i just hook them on the scales and step on the fishes tail and weight to what i thought it was. im pretty close most of the time unless its real long one....:big_smile: