DO TV OUTDOOR SHOWS TELL IT LIKE IT IS?

Discussion in 'LUKE CLAYTON' started by Luke Clayton, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    DO TV OUTDOOR SHOWS TELL IT LIKE IT IS?
    by Luke Clayton

[​IMG]
    Luke Clayton

Maybe my way of thinking is just old school but about 99 percent of the hunting shows I’ve watched on TV do a poor job of portraying what hunting is really about. How many times have you watched some well heeled or well sponsored show host spend a good five minutes scrutinize a whitetail buck, while setting in an elaborate blind in South Texas or famous game ranch up north. The drill goes something like this, “Look at the mass on that buck, he’s a monster for sure but I’m not sure if he’s a 5.5 year old or a fully mature 6.5 year old. His G2 on the right side is a little out of sync with left side that will cause a deduction in the net BC score. I’m really looking for a drop tine.” Then, with much fan fare and contemplation, the host will add, almost like a shopper at the meat market, “Are you on him (talking to the camera man), I think I’ll take him. BANG and this hunt is over!”

After the shot, the cameraman will pan to the host walking up to the buck, mouthing loudly the woods YES! YES! YES! while grabbing the antlers and carrying on as though he’d just scored the winning touchdown at the Super Bowl.

Another scenario is a beautiful lady that looks as though she could be a runway model as host of the show. I never see these beauties field dressing their game or, for that matter, setting stands or filling feeders or plowing food plots. What are the sponsors of these shows buying into, a host that accurately depicts what a hunter and, hunting is all about or a beauty contest? Don’t get me wrong, I admire ladies that truly are hunters, I had an aunt that could match hunting and shooting skills with any man I’ve hunted with and she field dressed her own game and later turned out some tasty venison meals.

Is glitz, glamour and overreacting what hunting is all about? I think not! I’ve been hunting big game animals for the majority of my life and I’ve spent time in the field with guys that share my passion, guys like Bob Hood, longtime outdoor editor for the Fort Worth Star Telegram and Larry Weishuhn, possibly the most famous big game hunter/writer in the world.

[​IMG]
    Photo by Luke Clayton

After every kill on TV or in the field just hunting, Weishuhn is very respectable of the animal he’s just killed, no not harvested, killed. One harvests grain, one kills animals. Another thing that gripes me about the rank and file outdoor show, especially those with southern folks as hosts. When referring to the act of pursuing game animals or birds, any southerner I’ve ever known and, most Rocky Mountain hunters say ‘huntin’. How fake does it sound when you hear them pause and, with much practice, stop and slowly mouth the word HuntING, with heavy emphasis on the TING. Huntin’ is ok, we all use the term and most of us know how to correctly pronounce the word hunting.

When veteran hunters I hunt with kill a deer, elk, antelope or even wild hog, they are obviously pleased. After all, they will have meat for the freezer and possibly a new mount to display on their den wall but they, without exception, walk up to the animal, make sure he’s dead by placing the rifle barrel or arrow on an eyeball, then spend a few minutes admiring their kill in a quiet, contemplative manner. NOT jumping up and down giving everyone high fives and acting as though there were just awarded the hunter of the year trophy. European hunters have for many generations honored the downed game animal by placing a green sprig it its mount. Native Americans honored the game animals they hunted. They asked the Great Spirit for a successful hunt and gave thanks after they had their winter’s supply of buffalo or elk meat. They knew they were richly blessed with what was once, an unending supply food in the form of buffalo, deer and elk.

Hunting and killing game and birds should never have been given the moniker of “sport”. It’s much more than mere sport. Killing big game animals, butchering them and transforming their meat into the makings of many tasty meals is living at its raw essence. Granted, at least for the present, mankind does not have to kill animals in order to survive. We can purchase our meat at the meat market, all wrapped and ready to prepare. But, in doing so, we subject ourselves to an artificial way of looking at life as it really is. Somebody had to kill that animal that we perceive to be just a piece of nicely wrapped steak or pork chop. Hunters, real hunters, know where their meat comes from. They were there when the animal was killed and many of us do our own butchering and wrapping.

I felt prompted to voice my opinions on hunting after doing an interview with Steven Rinella, host of the Travel Channels new show The Wild Within.

During the course of our interview, now archived at Luke Clayton Outdoors | Catfish Radio and Your Station, 88.9 KETR - A Service of Texas A&M University - Commerce, I learned that Rinella and I and, I’m sure many of you, share the same ideas when it comes to killing game. Rinella makes no bones about stating that he kills when he hunts and in each segment, he’s shown butchering game and usually enjoying a feast from the fruits of his hunting and fishing trips. If you think all outdoor programming is centered around guys and gals jumping up and down like cheerleaders when they kill an animal, you owe it to yourself to watch The Wild Within. It’s a refreshing show and, as Steven pointed out, “There’s no fancy lodges at the places we hunt, fish and film. We’re really out there.”

Hopefully this column will be taken in the context it was written, an honest account of the way an old hunter looks at hunting and those that hunt. If I’ve stepped on any toes, I offer my sincere apology. Sometimes, it’s important for us all to tell it like it is, or at least tell it like we see it. I just did.

BOW HUNTING TOURNAMENT- I’ve know Larry Large a long time and spent many enjoyable days fishing and hunting big game up in Colorado and New Mexico with him. When Larry came up with the idea of a winter hunting tournament, held each Saturday a big ranch near Seven Points, just west of Cedar Creek Lake, I knew he had a winning idea. I liked the plan so much that I’m planning to be on hand on most of the hunt myself. Here’s what’s in the works:

A total of 10 bow hunters will show up at the cabin on the ranch late afternoon on Saturdays. They will be treated to a BBQ lunch, then draw number for stands to hunt. Hunters will be put on stands with feeders and night lights around 5 pm and the tournament lasts until 10 pm. A point system will be put on hogs, coyotes, bobcats, raccoons, etc. Back at camp, the scores will be tallied up and the winner wins a free hunt and a new GhostBlind. Cost is $125 each. Sounds like fun, doesn’t it? To make plans, give Large a call at 903-765-3176 or drop him an email at bassandbulls@aol.com.

Want even more of Luke's hunting/fishing tips and tricks, wild game recipes etc?​

Listen to Outdoors With Luke Clayton for a new show each week at www.catfishradio.com

Contact Luke with hunting and fishing news from your area at lukeclayton@prodigy.net

The BOC has a virtual library of Luke's stories right here on the forums; just about anything you could want to read about the outdoors. Click here to see a boat load of information!

Whistler and festus like this.
  2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Excellent article Luke! I agree with how you look at outdoor shows. Thanks!

223reload likes this.

3. festus

festus New Member

I don't watch hunting shows but have a sneaking suspicion that many fishing shows are made at well balanced stocked private lakes. Some shows are nothing more than a half hour commercial for a certain bait or lure. And I bet sometimes it takes 2 weeks or more to film a 1/2 hour show and the hosts wear the same clothes or a change of clothes identical to the clothing they wear at the beginning of the program. Wouldn't doubt the same fish is filmed at different angles to make it look like they're catching fish most every cast.

223reload likes this.
  4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    You have it right Luke , many years ago I help make a 30 min Walleye TV show. Five of us fished 8 hrs a day for 5 days to make a 30 min show. It sure looked like we had a great fishing . In fact by fishing hard we caught one or two fish a day

223reload and festus like this.
  5. FATBOY DAN

FATBOY DAN New Member

State:
    West T= IN.
    well said!! sure right on that,many but not all, hunting & fishing shows have move to the FAKE SHOW= its all set up,from hunting= they push deer to the stand or like a few said in their show,some one else scouts the land then the BIG name hunter just sits in it,or fishing show their mostly fishing with a guide or a paylake,now i know some times its cool to fish with a guide as im sure i well some day. but most hunting shows you see them in a ground blind,deer 300-yards out & they whisper like a deer is going o hear them,now ive sat in a blind and thalk to the buddy next to me as we drank a beer & still saw deer,now that right their is hunting.

6. Keith Mette

Keith Mette Horse-MON Supporting Member

State:
    Palmyra,Mo
    Except for Larry, it is rare to see someone get dirty, sweat, or miss a shot. I think your getting old, but hey good luck on your bow 'huntin' trip. LOL

7. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    From your picture, I can certainly tell I'm no whipper snapper like yourself but glad you share my taste in TV shows! HA

Keith Mette likes this.
  8. festus

festus New Member

I think many hunting shows are shot at the zoo. :monkey::goat::poop::clown::snail::tv::turtle::cat:

9. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    what I find funny is so much hype and sooooo much money spent on deer huntin lmao

dont get me wrong i like to hunt deer but come on its a dam goat with antlers for crying out loud

lmao if a guy bought and packed with him all the garbage they showcase and push to sell it would take a mule and 3 mexicans to set up on a deer lmao

your right on the money with the shows being so phoney and fake I lost interest in watching them a few years back and when 1 comes on I usually change the channel

Im not putting down hunters I like to hunt but todays shows are just to showcase and push products with very litle real honest to goodness fair chase hunting

about 12 miles from me a guy has 2 deer farms that he raises deer to sell when his bucks reach the 150 class he sells them to ranches all over the usa he also sells the seamen . big buisness for him

2 years ago he sold 4 bucks to a ranch in iowa for 10 grand

he makes more money off the deer then catle farmers make

pretty cool place tho but just shows ya how close ya can get to a pinned deer lol

his bucks are so use to people a guy could use a 22 and killem all day long lol

but of course ya need a grunt call ,, ratling horns ,, sent this sent that and cover sent close from head to toe ,, range finder ect ect ect to get these kind of farmed raised deer lmao

glad im not the only 1 who finds this outrages .

also a ranch close to me gets 3500 to 5000 for folks to come in and hunt these kind of deer on his 1800 acre ranch that has a 10 foot tall chain link fence all around the property . OOOOO YAAAAAA thats really huntin lmao good for the camera or kids and elderly or disabled people I think thats great .

but for an adult hunter in good health and all I think its a joke
    same as going into a petting zoo and picking out wich goat ya gonna kill .

good read and thread to tell it how it really is !!!!

223reload likes this.
  10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Excellent artical, Luke . I agree 100%, tv ain't nuthin like real life , or never was when I went after game .

catfishscotty likes this.
  11. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Luke,, as always, a great article that's interesting and fun to read!!

Appreciate the perspective,, Years ago, I started a "Respect and Gratitude" ritual about game animals I kill,, by streaking some of it's blood across my cheek.. to "Thank and Honor" the animal I just killed. It means more than that, but, I do it for honor and respect of the animal, and Thanks to the Provider!

Thanks!

12. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yea they take the hunten shows to far and need to sow a lil reverance for that they kill. Some basic gear is nice but as scotty said ya dont need the kitchen sink. I think its funny they always taken 300 yard shots. Seen that craze dont like it its a sales pitch for rifles. Funny thing $150 buck singel shot rifle $200 scope I do just fine lol.
    Nuthen wrong with it takena deer or 2 that far out. But if ya know what ya doen most the time ya can have that same deer within 50 yards of ya. Some of the bow hunting shows are ok. I have seen some even have time lapse in and out. I like a guy who is down to earth and willen to wait for 4 days and 12 hrs for a good bow shot on wild unfenced deer. I dont agree with hunting over feeders but that is a regional thing by state. Here we hunt the hard way as ol Barta used to say lol.
    I wish they made more down to earth hunting shows. One of the best shows I ever seen and cant remember the name, but the guy was in a wheel chair had almost no use of his arms. It was him and family hunting together. It was just hunting plain and simple. He done ok was happy just to hunt and the kicker he downed some deer does, small bucks and one nice one. They showed family and freinds hunting together setting up blinds, stands, and processing game ect. The way hunting should be a family event , good time and fellowship with a reverance for nature.

13. kbbgood

kbbgood New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I for one stopped watching because of a day back in the 80's when I pulled into a cove on Truman Res. and saw one of the oldest guys making a show, and I won't name names, but he was casting to another boat and having them hook a big bass on his line and he reeled in in. I then decided I didn't need to watch any more.

At the same time I have to admit I have followed guides around to find good fishing spots.

14. Briars

Briars Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I am not sure I am buying this thing. I agree I do not like the commercial videos out now. So I do not watch them. Man just go hunt and enjoy it the way you want to.
    Same thing goes for fishing.
    Your not out there to impress anyone. The only person you need to please is yourself.

15. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    For the record I do not like hunting shows for all the reasons listed above. I do want to point out that I have shot many fishing shows over the past decade and we have always done it legit. No re-hooking or having other people bring us fish. NONE. Sometimes it takes us two hours to shoot a segment and others it takes nine or ten to get the right fish for the job. Of course editing does happen and many fish don't make the cut.

I am not saying all are as legit as the ones I have worked on but don't call them all fake and yes we do honor the the trophies for how special they are.