Do stocked channels in a lake spawn the same as a natural channel?

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by kitsinni, Jun 6, 2008.

1. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know a lot of the county lakes around here stock farm raised channels. These fish are stocked weekly in some of the lakes. When they are stocking these fish right through the times they would be spawning I have to wonder how do these fish react?

2. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i would say they are milked before they are stocked in the lake if it is that close to the spawn.as long as the eggs are ready.at least thats my opinion,lol

3. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    I would say you are right

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    ODNR told me they only stock lakes where the channels do not reproduce naturally for whatever reason.

5. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    even if cats arent spawning i do believe through some experience that they are at least "going through the motions" at some point in the year.i once filleted a female full of eggs-i mean full of eggs in early november.

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I would say if the conditions are good in any such lake there would be no reason for them not to spawn, they need moving water to do so, whether it be from a feeder creek or river or as the small lake out back here, it has several good springs in it and if you know where the springs are in any lake at time of spawn you can clean house on the whiskery delights :wink: Also remember that ALL the fish do not spawn at one time.......

7. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    my buddy had a 12,000 gallon pool. i think it was that many gallons he said . but anyway. right at spawn we put a couple channels in there . and with in a month i would say. we had channels . i dont know exactly when it happend though. also with in a month i believe the babies were big enough to see them . so they had time to grow at least a little . before we found them . so if i recal . it must have had to happend fast.

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Yes, stocked channels will reproduce on their own if the conditions are adequate for them to do so. In Trautman's book he tells that prior to 1908 there were no channels in Indian Lake and that year they were stocked. The several years later they were catching small locally produced channels from that one stocking.

As far as milking the females before they were stocked .... well 99% of the fish that sotcked are of fry size or yearlings, which only be a few inches long. The only adult fish that would normally be stocked are ones that were at the end of their breeding prime. Now that is not saying that the state or private pond owner couldn't buy mature fish for stocking, but the cost difference is not normally worth it. ..... Garry- :eek:oooh:

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I agree with Randy on this. Makes great sense!!!:wink::big_smile: