Do Skipjacks feed at night

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by flathunter, Jan 14, 2006.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am thinking about fishing for some skips at night, anyone ever have luck at night?

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    From what I have heard and expeienced, When the sun comes up they feed and when it goes down they shut down. I hated to be the one to break this news to you, LOL!!!!

3. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    The way they are built i'm almost betting they are day feeders. Those big eyes are their primary feeding tool. Is there any light where your fishing? That might help. I've caught a few right at dusk but i've yet to catch one at night...

4. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jack, here in Kansas we catch Goldeye for bait, they look similar to your Skipjack herring, except for the teeth, GE have a mouthful, even on their tongue. The eyes are the same though, huge and goldcolored. We have better luck catching them at night than during the day. We'll fish the dam with a worm a couple of feet below a float.

5. Catwagon

Catwagon New Member

State:
    Justin, TX
    Flathunter I've never caught one myself after nightfall. I haven't heard of ayone else catching one at night either, even with lights.

Steve

6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have seen them caught just after sunset and just before daybreak which seems the best.