Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do shad go bad after a few outings? I have always used every bait fish I catch until they are such mush that they don't go on the hook by freezing and refreezing. Just wondering if everyone else is like me or if they use fresh or froze once all the time.
Thanks,

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
I prefer fresh, but use frozen alot. I bag them in small bags, enough for a few hours fishin by myself. If someone else goes or I am going on a longer trip I take more bags.
If I dont use it all, it goes into the water. I will take a fresh bag on the next trip.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Something I do with the shad that is thawed out and is getting mushy is make it into a dough. I take it back home with me and I get out the old meat grinder and I run them thru it. I take this and I put it in butter containers and freeze it. I then take it out and set it in the sun as soon as I can the day I'm going to use it. I then take squares of panty hose and put either a kahle hook or treble hook in the hoses then place a glob of shad mush in the square I tie it up just like some do liver. I have had great luck with doing this, I really do not think the fish know. With it being in the panty hose it does not wash out so you can use it for a while.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
The bigger the shad the better they stay frozen.

But I'm like Kyle I bag the small one's with about 20-25 to the bag.

I will take a few bags with me but I will only thaw one bag the day before I go.
Then keep the others on ice during the day using them if needed.
If I dont use them I will refrezze them when I get home.

But like Kyle and Chris said better fresh..

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Matt, dont listen to all these guys. They are just tryin to mislead you and poke fun at you while your back is turned. Take MY WORD for it bro, just put a lil extra salt and pepper and butter on them, and they taste just fine. :wink:

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Hey Rick, how the heck are you?....Long time no see. Are you gonna make it to Melvern?

Good to see ya postn again buddy.

OOPS!! I didn't see your post about not making it until after I posted here. Sorry you're not gonna make it Rick.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Martha I'm sorry I'm late. I sat there all day and didn't get a bite because the shad went bad.

That'll work.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Do shad go bad after a few outings? I have always used every bait fish I catch until they are such mush that they don't go on the hook by freezing and refreezing. Just wondering if everyone else is like me or if they use fresh or froze once all the time.
Thanks,
Of course they go bad Matt, specially if you take them to the places you hang out at in Ks City, you know, where you go when the wife thinks you're working.
They probably learn how to drink, smoke and become susceptible to seduction hanging around with you. I don't think vacuum bagging them keeps them from being violated either, but you would know better'n me.:wink::laugh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.