Do "secret" spots even exist anymore?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by JBrooks, Jul 22, 2009.

1. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    To make a long story short,

My buddy and I set out on a small fishing trip tonight (8 pm - 12 am) at what I thought was one of my spots that I haven't been to in about three years. Since the river is pretty low, I decided to try an eddy that I knew about, where the current is always ripping all around it.

We pull over, grab the cast net and bucket. We walk down, see a man and his wife fly fishing in the stream I was going to cast the net. This wasn't a problem to me, actually gave me an idea of where to toss the net. :smile2: First cast, a big sucker. Second cast, some shad. Couple more casts, more & more. One of the last casts, a big ole' drum. Sweet, we had bait.

So we walk to the Eddy which is a good 200 meters from the netting spot. We turn the corner, and there is a mexican guy there with his girlfriend. As he was leaving (not to mention he was where I thought this spot was pretty "secret"), the guy had a stringer full of channel catfish. One of the channel's being the biggest one I've ever seen in person. Said he was taking it home to eat 'em. He was a real nice guy, even gave us his extra bait. This pissed me off though, now people are even taking fish out this great hole.The whole point of this trip was to go stress free and not have to worry about fighting for a bank fishing spot.

Once night came, I seen a group of guys setting up on the other side of the river - which I know no one knew about that spot. Never seen a soul there until today, and it was the primary fishing spot for me and my buddies. And we all agreed not to expose these spots unless it's other close friends of us.

My question is, does anyone have "Secret" bank fishing spots anymore?

A few months ago I couldn't even teach the girlfriend how to fish without being stopped by two groups of people! :angry:

Sorry for the rant, it's just getting frustrating!

Needless to say we did hook into two flatheads and two big channels at the spot. Hopefully it stays promising ...

/ James

2. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Honestly I dont think there are any secret spots! Ive heard guys on here tell of secret spots and what not, But dont you think that the old time catmen and the catmen before them knew of these spots, just got to old to walk into these areas or gave up fishing? Most people that have secret spots got them from someone else anyway! By the way there wasnt a sign that said your secret spot was there? That fellow that you ran into must not have seen it.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009

3. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yes there is. :wink:

4. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    there are secret spots yet just getting less and less of them one spot i fish there is no other way to get there other than walk and there arent alot that are willing to carry their stuff that far, even an atv couldnt get into this area

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Only to those that don't know about 'em:wink:...W

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    James all it takes if for someone to see someone fishing there once and there is no secret anymore. It could be a spot that looks inaccessible from the road then someone sees someone fishing there and finds out how to get back there.

7. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have decided that I am not fishing spots anymore. It is a waste of time. If a spot is a known producer it is over fished. I am going to look at everything fresh and forget fishing known spots all together.

8. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    with the amount of catfishermen in Ohio now...........i really dont think there is any secret spots..............there MIGHT BE small areas within a spot that will produce fish consistently that other guys dont know about such as a underwater stump or brush pile or a hole or drop off but as far as secret spots i doubt they exist anymore.............like one other guy said it only takes one person seeing you fishing in a spot then they will more then likely try the spot out and if they do good chances are they will tell a friend who tells a friend and so on...........ive seen it happen.

in fact i lost a "friend" once over a fishing spot that i shared with him and then he shared with a dozen of his "friends" ..............now you cant hardly ever get to fish there its always taken.............and on top of that the fishing has went down hill fast because so many guys are fishing it and keeping fish !!!

9. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    True Story, one evening a couple years ago an aquantance wanted to go fishing. We took my boat and headed to the Greenup Pool of the Ohio. When we were driving to the ramp he said "we will fish one of my secret spots" Well down river we headed and he directed me to one of the exact places I have fished for over 30 years.
    I really don't mind sharing info with most other people for like shackworth said it is public waters and the fish are constantly on the move feeding . Plus I am sure every square inch of every river in this state has been fished by someone at one time or other. And will continue to be fished in the future.

10. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    This is exactly why catch and release is so important. If everyone that fishes your "secret" spot keeps what they catch, there won't be many fish left to try for. Sure new fish will migrate into the area but constant fishing pressure will affect the overall fishery. Keep the little ones and release the spawners and only keep what you intend to eat in the immediate future...no need to stock the freezer. Besides, fresh (unfrozen) tastes best anyway.

Just my thoughts.

11. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great anwser Earl! I agree 100% I was thinking when I read the first post that maybe that guy and his girl was thinking the same thing "I thought this was my secret spot". It cracks me up when someone on hear thinks they are the only one smart enough to find fish in public water. With more and more people fishing now there are going to be less and less places to yourself.

12. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    WELL I GUESS MY SECRET SPOT IS OUT.I ALWAYS FISHED LONG JOHN SILVERS.:smile2:
    DO YOU THINK THAT MAYBE BY HAVEING A LOT OF PEOPLE FISHING THAT SECERT SPOT, IS WHAT BRINGS IN A LOT OF FISH TO THAT SPOT. YOU LOSE BAIT, U THROW AWAY BAIT THAT U DON'T WANT TO DRAG HOME AGAIN. OR LITTLE JOHNY THOUGHT IT WOULD BE FUNNY TO SEE IF HIS DOG AND BUN WOULD FLOAT. SOME PEOPLE CAN'T HELP BUT FEED THE FISH IN YOUR SPOT. THEY FEED MORE THEN THEY TAKE OUT OF THERE.

13. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    no everytime I ask where to go to get out of my secret hole everyone tells me OF my secret hole...on provate property...thats a smack in the face.....whats that about my SECRET HOLE?????Grrrrr:angry:

14. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    This is just my opinion, but fishing is cyclical. In other words, the interest in fishing (especially catfishing, especially channel cat fishing, which doesn't require a lot of overhead costs) will increase when the economy is in recession.

When everyone is making money, they go do things that require more money to do. I think that, because we are in a recession right now, you will see a lot more people/families finding free entertainment on the side of a river, versus going to the beach and chartering a boat.

Plus, keep in mind that, in addition to patience, catfishing requires a lot of TIME. The more people who are laid-off of a job, the more people you'll see on the side of the river.

That being said, I don't think there are any secret spots. Keep in mind that humans have only been around for 200,000 years. These rivers have been here for millions, sometimes tens of millions, of years!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  15. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Secret spots?? Maybe but doubtful. Spots that aren't fished as hard as others...more likely. I have a couple on the river i fish that aren't hit all that hard and produce quite a few fish. There's never any sign of someone having been there but then again i don't leave anything behind to show that i was there either. With more and more people fishing the only way to have a "secret" spot would be to have a pond on your land and not let anyone else fish it. But i still betcha someone would know of your secret spot!!

16. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    There are some secret spots still only if the only friend you tell is your dog. Best way to find a good spot is to float down a river if it is a smaller one an look for the obv signs such as log jams ect.

17. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    IMOP, only in the user's MIND.

18. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Funny thing is, the eddy that I thought was pretty secluded is a long walk - also inaccessible after dark if the river is high. The river must be low in order to walk the bank and access it. To get any other access to it, you must park in a location that locks it's gates after dark - and I think this is because I have so much luck here at night - no one knows how to get to the spot after dark.

Had a great night at the spot last night, wish I had the pictures to prove it.

19. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    James, there are "secret spots". If yours is on a well beaten path along the river or lake IT AIn'T a secret. If you gotta knock down briars and weeds to get to it it probably is. From a boat, there is no way to tell if you are the first guy there or the 1000th. What I can tell you is the more obvious it is the more folks will fish it. The more you fish a stretch, in all water and weather conditions, the more experience you gain. You'll end up finding spots that hold fish that are not obvious at all for the given conditions. They will remain secret, untill you tell the first person. Then he'll tell one guy and he'll tell one guy.....etc

20. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you want proof they are very rare just try this. You can be in a 3,000+ acre lake on the slowest day of the year where there are only a few boats on the lake. Find a place you don't think will produce and anchor up and start fishing. I will bet 10:1 odds that another boat is within 100 yards of you fishing within half an hour.