do people eat carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by Catfish Jaw, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Catfish Jaw

Catfish Jaw New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    when people bowfish for carp what do they do with the carp? eat em'? on them videos in google them people get 20-30 carp! some people told me they are good but you need a good recipe!

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have eaten them ,no different than any other fish to me ,except for the bones. I usually turn mine into cut bait or fertilizer for the garden.

3. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    They were introduced to the Country as a food fish, so I guess people do.

4. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Most folks I know use them for fertilizer. They occasionally give them to the less fortunate. Just usually the "less fortunate" want them gutted,cleaned,and cooked to order.

5. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    ive never ate them but my grandpa did when he was livin but not big one he always kept the ones under 15" you gotta get the mud streak out of them i do know that if your gonna eat them

6. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    People all around the world eat carp, it's prized as a delicacy....In the International Farmers' Market near my office in Northeast Atlanta they sell regular carp, asian carp, grass carp , and buffalo carp in their seafood dept... I go there for the tuna and blue crabs, there's all kinds of stuff I would'nt eat, but somebody does... Mom is German and she tells stories of the carp they ate before the war, and a friend of mine from South Africa tells me that his Grandma (she raised him) fixed lots of carp...he was especially fond of the carp balls, sounds just like gar balls with a different seasoning, and carp cakes, sounds just like my wife's salmon patties...I'm gonna' try the next one ...

7. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    my grand parents fixed carp so i've ate it many times.their is a mud seam that needs to be cut out and they are very boney:big_smile:

8. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    My grandpa told me the best way to fix a carp was get ya a pine board and put the carp on it. Bake it for 30 mins. When its done take it out of the oven and throw away the carp and eat the pine board!:smile2:

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    lol. are you joking? lol. shoot ya carp are edible. now weather they eat the ones there shooting or not thats a individule deal. but folks eat carp all the time. and have been for hundreds apon thousands of years.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya. heard that more times than O.J.'s innocent jokes.:roll_eyes:

eat the carp and whack the story teller with the board.:smile2:

most unfourunate foks use them for fertilizer cause thay cant cook lol.:smile2::embarassed:

11. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio

Im just joking! Ive heard of alot of people eating them just like eating bullheads they say them are tasty too! Just not for me! Thats like people eating coon. Ive skinned so many of them stinkin greasy things id never eat one!:smile2:

12. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Fillet them carp just like a crappie. Take the skin off the fillet. Lay the fillet
    down cut side down and look at it carefully. Cut out the pinkish meat in
    the top middle of the fillet beginning at the end where the ribs used to be
    and follow the pink meat all the way out to where the tail meat ends. Season
    the fillet with salt, pepper, dill weed, dill seed and about two teaspoons of
    fresh lemon juice. Cut it into chunks that will fit inside of your pressure
    cooker. Make sure that the meat rack is in the bottom of the pressure
    cooker. Stack as much seasoned carp flesh in the cooker as it can
    comfortably hold. Drive out the air between the chunks by slowly adding
    just enough vegetable broth(comes in cartons near the chicken stock) to
    cover the fish and carefully shake the cooker on the stove top until the
    bubbles stop coming out. Cap it up, heat it until it comes up to pressure
    for ten minutes only then let it cool down to room temperature before
    you let the steam loose. This is what my grandma did with carp and I
    really liked carp done this way as the main part of the meal.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    had that once. ONCE. BBQ'ed. tasted ok but left a bad feeling after the thought process.

bullheads. them are fine fare. just lot of work for lil reward.:wink:

14. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    :big_smile:lol sounds better then a carp

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Carp work really well in coon traps.

16. richmondherperman

richmondherperman New Member

State:
    va
    I love carp in germany it is vary prized same for eel.If you wait i can get any info you want i will ask my mother or ant they will know.

17. jodster

jodster New Member

State:
    texas
    I've had them smoked and they were pretty good! I've also heard remove the mud vein and the red meat beside the skin. I do the same thing with large cat fish and heard they do the same thing with lake trout. Can't be no worse than bass!

18. trapperP

trapperP New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Ate a lot of them growing up - we shot carp with a bow or gigged them when they spawned in the spring plus caught the odd one on hook and line. A carp is very susceptible to the water he is found in – if you find him in muddy, stagnant water he won’t be good table fare. Taken from clean, fresh water, he is a lot different. We ate the ribs from the big ones, very few bones here and these are large. And you need to skin the fish inside and out – that takes care of the ‘mud line’ – actually, I think they are referring to the kidney.. Carp to me have very little fish taste and they are more like eating some other kind of meat. Someone mentioned bass in an earlier thread and it takes a tough man indeed to eat a bass if you leave the skin on it.
    Now for the clincher: We canned a lot of carp, filleted it and trimmed out the larger bones [remember what I said about the ribs?] then cut the fillets into cubes, packed them into jars and Mom cooked them in the pressure cooker. After a period of time, she would turn the meat out of the jar and proceed to made ‘salmon patties’ from the canned carp. A lot of my friends thought it was actually better than the salmon as it had not ‘tinny’ taste from the can. I’ll try and find the recipe if anyone would like.
    Remember, the French say you can eat some part of anything that comes from salt water and I believe this is true of fresh water as well – just that some is better than other things! And I have yet to see anything that someone can’t fix to be fit to eat – except the ‘coon previously mentioned and a coot!

19. jodster

jodster New Member

State:
    texas
    I've had canned sucker befor, there very boney, but canning softens the bones. The back bone and ribs were removed but it is all them y bones in the tail. My brother my a soup, simular to potato soup he called sucker soup! That was some good soup, Not as good as my ground up beaver meat that was full of tendends, wich the grinder removed and turned the meat to mush. I made burgers out of it and called them fur burgers.