Do most catch and release?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by vince, Jan 5, 2007.

1. vince

vince New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hey! this site rocks, I'm glad I found it.

Do most of you guys return fish to the water? The only time I eat catfish is farm raised...If you do eat what you catch. Do you have a weight limit that you will not eat?

Thanks Vince!

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Vince - Welcome to the B.O.C.!:0a25: I released all the Cats I caught this year but have no problem with anyone keeping some fish to eat. If I were to keep any Cats to eat they would be Channels around the 20" mark. Enjoy the site! Lots of good info here!:smile2:

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I target flatheads, harder to catch than channels, no blues here. I release all I catch, cept a few baby channels that sometimes wind up in my bait bucket. Its more of a personal thing I guess as to eat or don't eat. I want the 20, 30, 40 something pound flats I catch to grow up so I can catch them when they are 80, 90, or 100+. The more we toss back the better the chance of catching the fish of a lifetime.

4. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I usually release my catch but i do keep a few under 10 lbs but above the 3lb mark (not on all fishing trips) wasn't in the states long enough last year to catch anything.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Vince and Ula WELCOME to the BOC. Now to your question I release about 90% of the fish I catch. I keep fish twice a year for a coupe of fish fries. The rest, barring bad hook up, disease ect., go back. The fish I do keep are under 10 pounds.

6. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey Vince, Welcome. I release alot of fish through out the year but I keep what I want to eat. It does not really matter to me about the size when it comes to keeping them. A 50lb flathead is as good to eat as a 5lb one caught out of the river I fish. When I catch a blue about 10lb is as big as I want. To me I think a man who catches a mess of fish and wants to take them home for a meal for his family is doing a good thing. I just don't take more than what I'll eat. I hope you enjoy the site! Tons of great info and nice people on here! Ray

7. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the site. I prefer fish in the 3 to 6 lb range for eating, keep enough for what I need, the rest go back.

8. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I have to agree with BAM on size preferred. I will go up to about 10# max if I need to get some in the freezer but definitely CPR the big ones.

9. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    Once or twice a year I keep a few small fish (blue or channel < 5 Lb) for friends who enjoy fried catfish. Everything goes back in the water to fight another day.

10. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Vince,Welcome to the BOC.And Your Right the BOC.ROCKS !!! I Only Keep some Channel catfish to eat I return All of the Flatheads and blues I Catch.Just cant Bring Myself to eat one of them Bad Boys.Although I Think it's fine to eat some of those also.I don't know if the wife and I could eat all the meat that came off one of them 30,40,pounders.Your New Friend and BOC.Brother.J.D.:0a18: :0a17: :0a23: :001:

11. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    :0a25: Vince, to the B.O.C. I'll keep the smaller ones under 5lbs, as I like them & so do several of my friends. If everyone has had their "fill" for awhile then I'll release all of them.

BTW, glad to have you with us & keep on POSTIN':wink:

12. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    I keep what the Texas Parks & Wildlife says i can keep.

13. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    I only keep channels smaller than 5 pounds.

14. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    Welcome to the BOC. 2pds up to 5 pds. everything eles goes back in the water. I am a member of catch and release and i,m also a member of catch and filet.

15. vince

vince New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hey its great to see that people release most of the monsters!
    Catfishing is starting to get more popular in Minnesota, we have some great rivers. Mississippi, Minnesota River, St Croix and maybe the best
    river for channels cats is the Red river that flows into canada...
    Make the trip to the Red River you will not regret it!

Vince

16. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Vince!!! I release all that i catch. Only because i am usually too tired to clean em! LOL

17. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Catch & Release ALL The Catfish That I Catch. Practice C.P.R.

18. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I CPR everything. I think there is a trend here but don't have any real scientific evidence. My theory is, that most of the guys who consistently catch fish over 20lbs (probably 30lbs in the south, I am in Ohio) CPR because they know the struggle for both man and beast to meet eyeball to eyeball. I think that most of your catch and cook fishermen rarely catch one over 5 lbs. For 30+ years I was one of those. I wonder what the statistics are and if it is a measureable theory?

19. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Welcome vince! I throw back all the fish i catch. Let them get bigger for another day!

20. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I always release any fish that is over 10 lb. But I usually keep all my dinner size channels and blues. What can I say Me and all my family love to eat fish. They are never wasted though.

Wheelmobile07