Do it yourself boat motor repair

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by txthumper1691, Mar 1, 2007.

1. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I bought a 14 ft jon boat recently and it came w/a 9.5 evinrude. Th motor has sat up in a garage under a tarp for at least a yr before I got it. Before y'all ask, I dont know exactly how old th motor is, but I'm guessin roun 10-12 yrs old. Motor looks good, no leaks, no rust, nothins missin. Its just that I took out th plugs, cleaned'em, and checked'em. They were gettin fire. so I buy new tank, and new hose an pump from Wal-Mart. Hook it up, sparay some B-12 in th carb, WHAMMO!!, she fires right up and runs for appeox 10 sec, then nothin. No more spark, and she aint even gettin gas to th carbs anymore. I was told I would hafta tear into th motor a lil an do some cleanin, but am having trouble gettin it tore down. Has anyone any suggestions, Has anyone worked on their own pull start motor before, I am a virgin here and wanna learn. HELP.

2. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    keith, i am not a boat motor mechanic, but it sounds to me like it may have sheared the crank woodruff key. you need to ask bobpaul - he is our boat motor guru:smile2:

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I would say mister washburn may be onto something here. If it a 9.5 I woul say it is older then 10 or 12 years. On the transome bracket you will find a serial number and model number. Get them and we will find out the age and then can start you in the right direction.
    I have one of those punkin head 9.5 my self.

4. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    model # 9022 C
    serial # E04575

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That is a 1970 ---- 9.5 Evenrude.

Now let me see if I can find some online info for you. You will need to get you a manuel for this engine because it is very pertcular about the temp it runs at and the other things that need to be looked after. Those engines were good engines but were pron to burn the lower exhaust gasket and let the exhaust back up into the cowling and stop them from running.
    Parts can still be had for those engines though.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Go to this web site http://epc.brp.com/default.aspx?brands=ej&lang=E

When the window opens look up at the almost top od the page and you should see a drop down menue. Click on go and when the page opens you will see a series of years. Go to 1970 and when it opens it will give you the model numbers and click yours and it will give you a drawing of the different motors and a parts list. Copy these to your computer if you can and print them out.

Before you start tearing it apart though lets check the kill switch.

Read this and it will take you out of the guesing stage http://www.wisnersinc.com/Fishing Info/Johnson 9.9_15.htm

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The 9.5 hp, was built from 1964 to 1973, which was a the first of the low profile motor series, and is not a sleek looking motor in my opinion, with a squatty oversized motor cover & upper housing sitting on a standard lower unit. The lower unit was not unitized like the later 9.9's, in that the bottom half of the 9.5's at the output shaft was split (like the QD' series) although allowing easier access to the shaft & gears. I understand it was also basically a souped up 7.5 hp motor. Some experienced mechanics say the crankshaft did not stand up under heavy usage as a 9.5. It apparently was not designed for remote controls.
    For those of you who have asked, the water pump impeller is the same for these 9.5 motors as the previous 10 hp from 1958 - 1963

8. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    I would take it to a good outboard mechanic and getter done. Being a do it your selfer can cause more money and grief in the long run. You might save $20.00 but one little mistake can cost you twice as much down the line. You don't do your own Brain Surgery do you?

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Ron what you say is true but there ain't to many techs today that will work on a motor that is more then ten years old and some won't touch them if they are 5 years old.

If he lived close to me in about 3 hours we would have it running like a kitten.:tounge_out:

10. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    I took my 20 year old motor in for a tune up this winter and they not only worked on it they were on there winter labor rate. Half the hourly rate to keep the mech busy in winter. I was happy, they were glad to see me and my bill was very reasenable.

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I am glad you have one that will do that ron but for every one that will work on one there are 25 that won't. Its his motor if that is what he wants then he can but if he wants my help I will more then gladly help any way I can.

12. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    Takin it in would be a good idea, but I did talk to some mechs around here, and they suggested do it myself. they said that if I had them do it I could possibly pay more than th motor's worth. I figure it shouldnt be too hard, its not like its a high tech computerized imported engine. Right. Besides this way I KNOW whats been done, what parts were replaced an so on. And in my later yrs, I can pass on th same info to th next generation of motor fixers, lol. Thanks bubbakat for th help.

13. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Good info Bubba. I like reviewing that site you posted.

Kieth, some people are all thumbs when it comes to fixing things, some aren't. You'll save alot more than 20.00 if you can get it done.

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Hey RON in government service or CIVIL SERVICE as its known ,if a position is vacant you only have to be 10% qualified to apply for it and be selected.So yes I DO do my own brain surgery.I have no problem getting the brain out but I am struggling with putting them back in and getting them hooked up correctly.Does anybody know where I can find the operators manual for a brain manufactured in 1944? I can't seem to get the "light in the eyes" to work.:lol: :roll_eyes: :smile2: :eek:oooh: :tounge_out: :wink: :cool2:

15. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    Mr. King, I take my hat off to you. Ron, how well do you know this mech? I know a couple car mechs, and would cut me a break to once in a while, but I dont know any boat motor mechs at all, i know 2 sales reps, lol, but they're no help, haha. Maybe if we lived closer to each other then we could've went to c u mech, but I like to be able to say "I fixed it myself" I'm a poor blue collar redneck/punk rocker, raising 4 boys. I dont have any money to pay some one else do anything for me, plus I enjoy trying something new, and learning whatever I can. Thank you Ron for your input, but I think I'm gonna try to fix it myself w/ Mr. King's help, and any one else who wants to put in on this. thank you guys for being so helpful. I tip my hat to all on th B.O.C. even if I dont agree w/u. doesnt mean we cant be friends.

16. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    Keith, as mentioned above find a manual and have at it. Small, older outboards are pretty simple and usually pretty easy to find the problem. When I bought a 1990 15 hp merc. last year it ran at the sellers house fine. Two days later I went fishing and it started ran for 15 sec. and died and would not restart. After about 10 minutes of wrenching I found the exhaust gaskets were bad. Cost 10 bucks. Another tip One of my buddies who cant ever get anything back together now takes digital pictures during the teardown. Good luck.

17. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    Well I think its done. I had to replace th kill switch and wireing, regap th original plugs and she fired up after alil B-12 was sprayed in th carb. But according to bubbakat, I need to check th lower end oil and impeller. I gonna go look at that here in a whole minute. I found out why it wasnt gettin fuel........my buddy hooked up th hose to th tank BACKWARDS, plus he accidently loosened th elbow thingy on th tank. But so far I think its done. I wanna thank every one who had advice put in on this and did or said what they could in th hopes it would help me get this engine fixed. I am honored to call all y'all friends.:0a23:

18. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Keith, take some time and read through the repair section. You might just pick up a little information.

Good to see you got it going.

19. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    Awsome, a lot of times its the simple stuff as you found. Good job, you saved some money doing it yourself. Good fishin'.

20. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    Well, I am sorry to report, I do have one small new prob. th filter cover is cracked. DAGGUM IT!! geesh. I tried a lil gasket sealer, but it didnt help, when I squeezed th pump on th gas line, th pressure was too much for th sealer,lol. so tomorrow, I gonna call an see if I can get a good used one, or will i need to purchase a new one.