Do-it-Molds

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by vlparrish, Oct 27, 2006.

1. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    How many sinker makers use Do-it-Molds? I have two of the bank sinker molds. One makes four bank sinkers, a two ounce, three ounce, four ounce, and a five ounce in one pour. The other makes three five ounce bank sinkers in one pour. These molds run around thirty dollars a piece. Over the last ten years I have saved hundreds of dollars in sinkers by using them. At most tackle shops in my area a five ounce bank sinker will run between 75 cents and a dollar. All you have to do is make fifty sinkers to be into the savings.

for any of you guys that don't already make your own sinkers I highly recommend these molds to anyone that is planning on starting.
    Vern

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have 4 differant molds, splitshot, bank, no roll, and a stand up type of sinker the correct name escapes me at this moment all do-it molds.

3. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a noroll mold and an egg sinker mold, both of these are good molds. I like them because of the thickness of the aluminum around the mold cavity. They hold the heat well and very few bad pours. I also have an old bank sinker mold, this is a thinner one, and it just don't pour as easy as the Doit molds. Later Andy

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I have the egg sinker do it mold, I like making my own weights and it definitely saves a lot of money, I even have a baitshop offering to buy some from me next summer.

5. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i have one bank sinker mold, a no-roll mold, a jig mold and a bullet sinker mold...will add another one at some point. It's nice to pour your own stuff and make as many as you want.
    I haven't had to pour any lead in several months now. I usually pour lead for about half a day and get stocked up. The actual pouring doesn't take real long, it's the trimming that takes a bit longer. Well worth the effort.

cyas
    rc

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i cant see how a serious cat-fisherman can NOT make their own sinkers. i have been pouring my own sinkers (except split-shots) since i was a teen, i cant even begin to imagine how much money i have saved over the years! i currently own an egg mold 1/4-3oz, flat bank 3-5oz, ro roll 1-3oz, and a snagless mold 1-3oz. have a couple in bigger sizes on loan till i can make em also. all do-it molds by the way. never seen anything but do it brand, are there others?

7. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have 7 different sinker molds and they all are Do-it molds. Great product and last a life time.

8. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Mike, yes there are/were other molds. Penn had some molds out at one time, but I'm not sure if they still make them. And there was another company or two that made some, but I can't remember the names. Vern

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Vernon you are right. Do-It Molds are the way to go. I have about 8 of their molds of different type and size and never had a problem. This is one of my winter projects to take care of cabin fever.:big_smile:

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You may be able to beat the do-it molds advertised prices by shopping Amazon.com. I know you can beat their price on e-bay. Believe you save about 10.00 per mold.

11. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    You are so Right Vern! The way I loose Hooks and weights I would go broke if i diden't cast my own sinkers,and do-it molds are the bomb. As a matter of fact I think I'm one of the best when it comes to finding a good snag to loose My gear in!! LOL. J.D.
    :big_smile_2:

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Robert, I was doing a lot of that trimming also. Retired those molds which required trimming and got some new ones from ebay/amazon. You will be surprised as to how clean the lead comes out of a new mold... no trimming required. Makes better sinkers also. LOL

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    my do its were sutch a tight fit when i got them that i had to leave a small gap to get them to pour

14. huntduck

huntduck New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I've got the flat bank and no roll.Going to order the 6&8 ounce egg pretty soon.

15. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I have a bunch of do-it molds and a few others. I like the do-its best. For split shot and pinch-ons I use pure lead. For the bigger sinkers I use a mixture of whatever lead I can find. Spent bullets have a lot of tin in them. So when melting it there's a lot of weight in the trash. It doesn't melt very good in a
    Lee pot. The last scrap lead I bought was a quarter a pound. I picked the flashing, being mostly pure lead. I can pick up a bucket of wheel weights when having car or truck serviced.

Watch the pricing on ebay. get the list of the molds from
    www.do-itmolds.com
    I have a link for the cheapest prices I've found on molds
    www.millerrod&gun.com
    click "enter shop"
    click "fishing"
    click "lure making"
    click "molds"
    The first 10 or 11 pages are jigheads then you get to the sinkers.

16. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I only use Do-It molds...I pour jigs, sinkers, walley lures, their quality is
    great.

17. 1 cattin dude

1 cattin dude New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Hey guy's, do all of you get lead from used weel weights? I've heard that they are going to stop using lead in weel weights because of it causing cancer etc. I've really been looking into the molds and doing sinkers myself, but I'm afraid I won't be able to get free lead in the future. If I bought my lead, I've found that I can buy 10 oz. sinkers on e-bay for about $0.63 a piece. That's the same price it would cost per sinker if I bought the lead ingots on e-bay and made them myself; so I thought it would be better buying the sinkers already made....What do Ya'll think?????????????????? I can't decide what to do!

18. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Cattin dude, you might check with your local scrapyard and get the lead reasonable. The trip alone would save you in shipping if you buy in bulk. Vern

19. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I have found great prices on ebay for sinkers. Last year I found 58 pounds in 1-2-3-4 oz egg sinkers for 32 bucks, after shipping. You can beat that. Go to people that sell sinkers on there, ask to buy in bulk, and tell them u want flat rate shipping (it's like 8 bucks for anything up to 63 pounds).