Do-it molds: need help please

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by IrishO'Brady, Nov 4, 2006.

1. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Any tips on pouring lead?
    I notice the lead sticks IM buying from BPS must have a lot of impurities? The crap rises to the top, while the bottom is liquid. This pours fine but my sinkers are almost too soft. Am I not heating it long enough for should I buy different lead? Any suggestions would help, thanks
    -Chris

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I always dip the crappy stuff off the top when it's in the pot, and then pour the rest, after practicing for a while my sinkers started coming out perfect everytime. And I get my lead from the Tire Shop, so it really has a lot of junk in it.

3. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    what do you scoop it out with? sorry dumb question just curious
    also how do you clean this thing out after a pouring session?

4. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I use wheel weights personally. They have a few impurities that make the sinkers a bit harder. You could likely add a couple of pounds of them in the pot and it would help your lead some. Vern

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I use an iron ladle for dipping my lead. You can usually find some good long handled ones at flea markets and antique shops. Vern

6. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    boy heres another- lets say I get one of those to scoop the impurities out- what do I do with>? Also, Vern how do you clean your melter?

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vern is right, use a Ladle to dip the junk out. Wheel weights do work very well. Catfish Connection has Ladles for sale, Bass pro might even have them. They are only like $6.

I have the melting pot that is small and you pour yourself, not one of the bigger ones with the spout. And I just find something sharp laying around and scrape the stuff out of the pot.

8. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Yeah I got a small pot with a tip spout too, now im just debating on how to dispose of scrap lead- cant exactly throw it away ( I dont think)
    Sounds dumb, but Im darn proud of my homemade sinkers- Im doing them now, and they are coming out great- thanks guys :smile2:

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, it's kind of fun making them in your spare time too. And of course, saves a ton of money!

As far as disposing the scrap lead, I don't know yet, right now I am putting it all in a bag and am not sure what I'll do when it's full.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If the lead is sticking to your mold, I don't think it is the condition of your lead rather than the condition of your mold. You should smoke the molds by holding them up and letting the soot from a candle cover the cavity, or by using a ocy/acy torch with just the acy burning. Coat the molds with soot.

Your lead may be soft due to its composition. But, lead is lead, unless your doing something in competion where it needs to be weighed on postal scales.

Okay, I read the thread wrong. Lead will almost always have inpurities. Buy a slotted spoon from your local dollar store and skim the crap off the top of the molten lead.

11. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Chris I dip the clips of the weights off with the ladle and put them in a five gallon bucket, when it is full I dump it in the landfill. I never need to clean my melter. I use a cast iron pot on an old electric stove and just scrape the pot once in a while with the ladle while the lead is hot and it will bring any trash to the top. Vern

12. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Smoking the molds with candle is a great way to prep your molds.
    I take a thin wooden board usually a paint stiring board and stir my melting pot and scrape the bottom and edges. This will help make any impurities release from the inside edges of the melting pot. I use a large spoon to dip the impurities from my pot then place them in a old coffee can until I can dump them in our industrial dumpster at work.

When casting your weights if you think the lead is too soft either add tin, zink, or wheel weights (wheel weights have tin and zink added to their lead to make them hard) to add alloys.

You can also if very careful after emptying mold take the weights while still hot and drop them in a bucket of cold water...this will chill them and make them hard. But keep the water away form the lead while in a melted state. If water and melted lead meet each other there will be an explosion of lead over everything including you. It could do major damage to you and anything in lands on. So keep the water bucket a couple of feet away from where you are melting the lead.

Jesse

13. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i use any lead i can find pretty much, old split shot thats to messed up to use, every once in awhile wheel weights, scrap lead, little peices i find around shops. ill put it in my pocket it and take it home and toss it in a bucket of old sinkers that are for some reason messed up or smashed and i melt it down in a cast iron pot on a turkey frier. all the junk floats up and i srape it out with a spoon and use a cast iron ladle to pour the molds and then i let it all cool when im done and just put it up. so when i need to do more of em i have everything ready where it needs to be.

i do have a question tho, if lead gets any kind of moisture on it when its dry and cool can there be a risk of it blowing up when heated and melted down. cuz ive herd horror stories and im careful when i do all this stuff.

14. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    This comes into play when you are adding the lead to a pot of already melted lead. I have noticed that, some ingots will get a little condensation in them from time to time. These when added to the pot will emmit bubbles and make you back up a little but, so far I have have no major reactions.

15. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I use a stainless steel strainer , like a tea strainer to scoop off the impurities. The led won't stick to the s s screen.

16. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    What melter do you have?
    I have the Lee production pot IV, bottom spout.
    I melt everything I can find. Clean lead will leave a skim on the top when melted. Dirty lead and with metal clips and things will float to the top. But not all trash will float. I use a long handle teaspoon. Scrape the sides and bottom while lead is melted. This trash will float then. Sweep it around to the edge with the spoon and dip out. The spoon won't get hot enough to burn if worked fast, if it does wear gloves. As soon as you finish pouring sinkers, scrape the sides and bottom of the pot while it's hot.

17. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    If your just heating things up to get started it shouldnt be a problem the water should evaporate by the time the lead melts but dont ad wet lead to melted lead. if you think their might be some moisture in the lead make sure you have gloves and long sleeves on add it slowly sheilding your self with your covered arm so it dosent burn your face.

18. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Thanks for all the good advice and suggestions guys, I got my smelting operation goin full speed! I did notice the lead from wheel weights is a bit harder, and tends to hold the stem shape of my bank sinkers better ( and its FREE) so Ill use those from now on. Its easier than using soft lead and dumping it in cold water after Im finished (it does harden up, Im just looking to cut out a few steps)

-Chris

19. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    went to the new bass pro shops here other day n they had lead ingots. like 4 lbs for about $5. this a good deal? anyone used this lead?

20. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    the wheel weights are free and make harder sinkers than the ingots. and again... their free.