do it molds "entry" holes

Discussion in 'Sinker Making Institute' started by lissaannjon, Dec 26, 2009.

1. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    Ive been pouring sinkers for several years now. In doing so I've found that the cone shaped "entry holes" in the smaller do it molds restrict lead flow and plug up if the mold isn't perfectly warmed up. I took a hand held wheel grinder and touched up the smallest most "necked down" area at the entry point of the mold making the hole a little bigger. You don't need to go crazy or it makes it tough to get the excess broke off after cool down but a little don't hurt any. The lead flows into the mold faster this way thus not plugging the entry hole if your mold isn't perfectly warmed up. I have done this to all of my molds from 1/2 all the way up to 5 oz. hope this helps some of you guys out. Most importantly be safe when working around this hot stuff!

2. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    I had the same problem with the neck clogging, I always just use little propane torch to heat up the molds get them good and hot...I use a Lee production pot to pour my wieghts up to 8oz when i pour my bigger wieghts i use a cast iron pot on a turkey fryer specially when pouring 1-2lb rock cod sinkers.

3. Fatman

Fatman New Member

State:
    Vermont
    I've always just heated the lead a bit hotter and just poured the mold until it kept pouring perfect.

The only time I've ever had to enlarge the pour spout is on my 1/32 oz molds

Fatman

4. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I had my pit set on 3 and it was pouring 5 oz sinker no problem..BUt i have my propane tourch to heat up the molds...i turned it up to around 6 and oured 16 oz bank insker for the heck of it...

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jon thanks for sharing this tip.Could help many people who don't take time to get their molds hot before they start the pour.

6. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    yeah i had to open up the gate on my 8oz flatbank a bit cuz the lead wasn't flowing right.. small rat tail file did wonders to it now it looks bettter than new

7. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i think i need to open the holes up on mine a hair also, but i am going to wait until i get the hang of cleaning my lead to make sure thats not why im having problems... i get the molds plenty hot, but the weights turn out looking like they have waves in them, almost as if the lead isn't being poured in one continuous motion.

8. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Your lead is probably too cold if it comes out wavy.

9. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Or he doesn't have enough lead in his "pencil"! :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::cool2:

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Jeremy we need to get together and make some sinkers. You know I have such a busy schedule, we could do it about any day that isn't to cold for the lead to melt.:crazy::wink: I'll bring my molds too. We can do something constructive through the cold weather.:wink:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  11. foghorn

foghorn New Member

State:
    Wagoner Ok
    I had the same problem with my jig mold for making 3/4 and 5/8 jigs. I used my die grinder and a cone shaped burr.

Foggy :glasses-cool: