Do I need to upgrade?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by Ruger 454, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    I really don't have catfish rods&reels,I have some downrigger rods and cabela's line counter reels.I have 20lb mono on some and 30lb braid on another one,please give me your opinion's on what works the best out on the Ohio.
    Thanks, Mike

2. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    Don't really fish the Ohio much, but if it were me, I would use what I have until it breaks! Then maybe think bout upgrading. :big_smile: To me, a good all around catfish rig would be an ABU 6500 and a good Ugly Stik.

3. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    i agree with lilgriz ... i fish with smaller tackle than that ... but i havent had anything big enuff to break it yet ... ive landed a 31.2lb carp on it.. and i hossed that in ... so im sticking with what i get until i can afford to upgrade.

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    "Upgrades" do not have to mean more expensive outfits.
    I have fallen in love with my Okuma Fin Chaser combo (seen in my avatar). It's a 10' spinning combo that has caught several fish over 20#, my PB of 38 1/2#, and my step-son's PB of 42# this year. Another one I have is the Avenger, around $80, and to a lot of people that is inexpensive too. Both are adequate and I believe capable of landing anything I hook into.

5. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    What you have will work.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I would fish with the gear you have now and evaluate it after a few trips out. If you've experienced some short comings, then you have a better idea what to upgrade.

I use medium heavy action Ugly Stik Tiger rods with Abu Garcia 7000 baitcaster and Penn 310 Gti baitcaster. 30lb-40lb Berkley Big Game solar green seems to be the line of choice in my area.

7. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Mike;
    I have to agree with all of the Brother's that have posted! Use the equipment you have and if you find that it does not meet all of your Catfishing needs, then go and purchase different equipment. If you will also read the BOC Posts and look in the Equipment Testing, Rod/Reel test reports, ect, and combine this with what you learn from your current equipment under actual fishing conditions on the part of the Ohio, and other bodies of water, you plan to fish on you will then be able to make a Much Better INFORMED Choice! :big_smile: "INFORMED CHOICE" is a concept that I am a HUGE Fan of because it eliminates a lot of mistakes in equipment choice {in this particular choice} and thus money being wasted on equipment that does not work for you in the conditions you fish under!
    This way, you will also be a more effective Cat Fisherman and will enjoy the time spent much more because you won't always be "fighting" your equipment among other things. :big_smile:
    Now, there is one more IMPORTANT thing to cover in this post.
    "Brother Mike, Welcome To The BOC"
    You have made a decision that will now start affecting your life in a positive way!
    At first you may be a bit overwhelmed:eek:oooh: by all the post responses to your questions and the information available in our Library and Archives, ect. NOT to worry, this is a normal happening that we all have went through and you will soon adjust to it all very quickly. :wink:
    DON'T be afraid to ask questions about anything you may not understand and if you have a good answer to someone else's post for information then DON'T be afraid to post your answer either!
    There are NO DUMB QUESTIONS in the BOC!
    I believe I can speak for the membership when I say "We ALL thrive on the Free Exchange of Information, Opinions, Facts and New Updates in Equipment, Records, Tactics and Techniques, ECT, ECT!:big_smile:
    I see your from Kentucky so you might want to also get in touch with another of our Brother's. That being "Dreadnaught; Brother J. W. Fisher" whom is also the ACATS President in KY. Brother J.W. is one of many BOC Members that fish the "Mighty Ohio" quite often and I know that any of those folks will be happy to help you out in any way that they are able and not just about fishing on the Ohio either. :wink:
    As I said, I agree with all the Brother's that have posted before me. Use what you have for now. Take "Notes" ask Questions, Read the BOC Archives and Library, ECT, and you can't help becoming a better Cat Fisherman!:smile2:
    I hope this all helps you out while you getting started.
    Again, WELCOME ABOARD,
    "Walk In Peace"
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I agree also and use what you have for now. I'm using light tackle atm also but it works fine for now. I caught my #20 cat on my 5.5 ugly stick with a reel that holds less than 150yards on it. Yea it takes some time to get them to shore but I love the challenge. I'm also upgrading as soon as I can and so far I'm stuck between the Penn's and Abu Garcia's.

9. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    neocats, i dont spend that much on my tackle as it goes ... im a cheap fisherman. im easy... i tend to stay light cause i fish for all species .. i know to some that means BAIT!!!!! lol ... but hey catfish are fun to catch but they dont always bite ..so u got to kill time between bites .. so i fish for others ... i just love fishing no matter what the species is. yes i know catfish fight harder, they are bigger , and are harder to come by. i just like the tug on the other end thats what keeps me sane. i hope others feel the same ... i know im rambling on.. but good luck on ur forth comings with the tackle upgrades that u decide on . for me ill stick with what i got.

10. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    This site rocks fella's,I can't believe the amount of posts a question gets.

11. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    just wait there will be more .. this site is awesome too ...very generous people ... its the best ive seen ...