Do I need to have a clicker????

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by patrickgd, Jul 28, 2008.

1. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    When I go fishing I usually fish in rivers or below spillways from the bank. I normally use 7-8" foot medium heavy rods with large Penn spinning reels. These reels do not have clickers or bait runners as I think they are also called. I usually will just cast my bait out, let it sink and then tighten my line and watch for a hit. As an extra attention getter I usually attach a bell to my rod tip or glowstick at night . But would I do better using a clicker? any pros or cons out there?....

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Pat, in my opinion a clicker is for a lazy fisherman. I have them on my reels, but then I bought them when I was a lazy fisherman. lol If you are in quality cat waters and set up in a productive area you should be watching your rod. Oh, clickers are for bait casters and bait feeders are for open face generally speaking. I really don't think that you need one, but I sure do like a level wind! lol :wink:

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Simple: Yes, if you want to free-spool, No, if you prefer to tightline.

4. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Any thoughts on which would be more productive?

5. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo

i agree i wouldnt worry about it in your situation i would tight line and use circle hooks . that set up is killer in current situations .

if your using big baits like 6 to 12 inches or big live baits and feel maybe your missing fish because they not getting the hook use a 2 hook set up on big baits like that.

check out wild wolf products double hook set ups on the boc sponsors.

6. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    If you have a durable rod holder you would be good with circal hooks:wink:

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Unlike Jack, I'm still a lazy fisherman:smile2: I loosen my drag off and leave enough that it will still let the circle do it's thing but a big fish can pull drag, run the clicker, and wake me u....I mean, get my attention:wink: You don't need a clicker if you pay attention or if you don't mind using bells. It's a "nice to have", not a "have to have".

8. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    When the fish are really feeding hard and in a frenzy tightlining is real fun but when the fish kind of play around with the bait or hit soft I think they might feel the tension and let go. I like the 2 hook idea I think I might try that. Thanks!

9. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I agree completely about the "nice to have" but not "have to have". Seems like when I have 2 rods with a clicker, and one without, the fish invariably go after the one without anyhow!

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use circle hooks, and my rod holders are so firm in the ground no fish will pull them out, but they are nice to have if you need them.

11. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Short answer: no.

There are times and places that a clicker will be nice to have, but you don't need one. All my catfihsing reels have clickers, but I almost never use them. I fish from a boat and with the rods in the holders and the reels engaged so the fish hook themselves. This doesn't work bank fishing, since most rod holders wouldn't be secure enough. Sounds to me like you are doing fine.

12. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Pat, a using a clicker allows the cat to run 5 ft and drop the bait. The other side of the coin, if u had it locked and in a sturdy rod holder it may have hooked itself.

Every hear it posted where...."Got two but had several good runs"??

The baitcasters can be had in LOW GEAR RATIOS, that is what I like about them the most!

:0010:

13. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Patrick, I am a bank fisherman my self, and I will be the first one to tell you I don't know the first thing about clicker reels, as I have never owned one, But the way I fish catfish with my spinning reel, is with an open Bail and as little weight as possible. those fish that just want to peck around at your bait, are more likely to take it and run if they don't feel that weight and tight line. But you have to to be their ready to close that bail when he takes off.

14. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    From what I'm reading, it appears there are proponents on both sides. I have two baitcasters with and two without. Personally, I like the clicker. I'm not lazy (no offense intended) but my one baitcaster took a swim in the blink of an eye the other summer and that was a $150+ rig. Now, my rod holder wasn't the best thing in the world but I now know how quickly a rod can disappear. Quicker than I can react. I still fish both kinds but pay more attention without the clickers. I guess it depends on what you prefer. I generally fish with a slightly slack line (lake fishing) and I like the clicker over just releasing my spool. I'm always affraid a free spool will backlash and away goes the rig. I'd don't like to keep changing the drag setting to keep it locked. So then, maybe I am a bit lazy :roll_eyes:

15. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    For my style of fishing I prefer clickers. Alot of the time I'm 50-100 yards away from some of my rods that are stuck down in the riprap.
    Another setup I use is a long rod, wedged in the rocks, with the line straight down from the tip. The bait is just below the surface, there is maybe 3 foot of line between the tip and the hook. The clicker protects my rod-reel-and line from the shock of a big flathead hitting this rig. You could use bells and loosen your drag for the same results but I always forget about the bells till I hear them bouncing off the trees back behind me somewhere :eek:oooh:

16. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    :smile2:Thanks for asking this question. I had thought about that, too!

17. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I look at the clicker as a light drag with noise... if you are fishing multiple poles, circle hooks and natural bait, they really are nice to have. Forget to loosen your drag once and watch a pole go under, and clickers start to make a bit more sense.. However, it's what you like, nothing more complicated than that..

Good luck!

18. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    A few weeks ago I got a lesson in how important it is to have your rod really secure. I normally like to use my rod holders which are very secure. They are metal steaks with PBC pipe that slides down on the steak. Unfortuanately allot of banks are'nt condusive to using them, mainly the rip rap ones. Anyway I had a handsize Live baitfish on my hook and something SLAMMED it hard. I was fishing a riprap bank and had the butt of the rod lodged in between some rocks but this fish yanked it out. I got in front of it an caught it but I swear it tried to put a Lawrence Taylor move on me. Anyway unfortunately my 8 oz. no-roll (which was Carolina rigged) to the mainline got hung in the rocks and I lost the fish. :angry: Learned a costly lesson about how to rig in heavy rocky cover. Anyway I really appreciate all of y'alls experience. Keep it coming I can use all I can get. :wink: