Do I need my boat registered???

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Johnny B, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    I have a 10 foot John boat with no motor just a trolling motor and oars I am going to use to drift down river and hit some cat holes...My question is do I need to licence it and get numbers and stickers for it if it doesn't have a motor?? Plus, I don't have the title it was given to me by my friend?:confused2:

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Call the folks in charge by all means. No need to pay a ticket if ya don't have to.

3. Herogre

Herogre New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My father in-law has a 10' row boat and he has to have it licensed. As far as I know only peddle boats and kayaks don't have to be licensed in Illinois.
    Tricia (Littleman) just registered two boat in the last two months. One was out of state and had never been registered. The other was from Illinois and had been registered but they didn't have some type of paperwork when they sold it to her. She was able to get license on both of them. I think she went on the Illinois dnr web site and found a number to call.

4. catfishken

catfishken Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    YES you def. need it licensed in illinois. dont get caught w/o it i think it is $45 but it is good for 3 years. even canoes need to be licensed kind of dumb if you ask me

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Definitely check with your local authorities. Here in FL you don't need to license the vessel, as long as, it doesn't have any means of powered propulsion, INCLUDING trolling motors.

Your regular safety gear, IE, flotation devices still apply. HTH & have a safe trip.

6. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Definitely check with your local authorities. Here in FL you don't need to license the vessel, as long as, it doesn't have any means of powered propulsion, INCLUDING trolling motors.

Your regular safety gear, IE, flotation devices still apply. HTH & have a safe trip.

Same way here in va.

7. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Same in WV. Any motor and you need numbers.

8. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    Yea in Illinois even if you have no motor it needs numbers. I called the DNR and they wanted to come inspect the boat...I told them I'm reselling it...It leaks too much even after I tried reriveting it and using JB weld but I think the boat belongs in the scrapyard...Thanks

9. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have not gotten round to doing it (if I am out with the motor in the little one I am mostly up a small river where "official" entanglements are so rare as to be practically non-existent) But it is something like $10 for a boat that small so I really have no excuse.

But as I recall, if not titled before, you have to file an application, with pictures, and then take it to be inspected by the LEOs. Reckon to check if it has been stolen.