Do I need color screen?

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by bnt55, Mar 25, 2009.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I am saving up my pennies for a new fish finder, probably will be spending in the range of $350 (used if possible) and was wondering if color will really help in locating fish? I currently have an older humminbird that is greyscale. I have heard good things about the lowrance 135 as well.

any help is appreciated

Bill

2. catfishfever1

catfishfever1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    the colored is the way to go yes it helps seperate the bait fish schools from the other fish

3. hoppies56

hoppies56 New Member

State:
    wv
    i just got a new humminbird color unit 586c . had it on the river last sunday, i think color is the way to go. hopppies 56

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'm kinda like this. If it ain't broke why tamper with it. :wink:

5. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I am definately buying a new fishfinder the one I have really sucks, I was looking at the Lowrance x135 but it is a black and white finder...not sure what the equivalent color finder would be to the x135. Thanks for the replies.

Bill

6. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    guys i use a lowrance x135, this is one great piece of equipment. it does the best job of finding bait and showing the bottom. i fish with some guys who use these colored hummingbirds. its hard to set them up for finding bait. these colored jobs are made for bass fishermen and for fishing off the coast. for catfishing you only need the locator to show bait,bottom,depth and water temp. every thing else is junk, the grey screen does the best job for our type of fishing. the picture on our screen dosen`t need too much info, bass fishermen use the extra info we don`t need it,all the extra info does is cause the catfisherman problems wondering why he`s trowing his net and not catching bait, with the x135 you`ll trow your net less and catch more shad, other than looking at the bottom catching bait is the most important thing you`ll use your locator for

7. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    When I was in the market for a new fish finder specificly for catfish, i called a catfish guide that fished simular to how I fished. Steve Brown recommended the Low. 15 or 17m. It is black and white, but I found a good deal on a 17m and have loved it. I would contact a guide that seems to fish the same type of waters that you do or the same style of fishing. They will give you a good idea on what to look for. I bought the color Eagle $500 gps/ff and i HATE its fishfinder. I trust the 17m for finding fish and do not trust the eagle. Color is not everything, but go with something that people use to make a living. They will not have "junk" on their boats.

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I know a boccer who I think is getting ready to sell an X135 in perfect condition. PM me if interested and I'll get you in touch with him.

9. hoppies56

hoppies56 New Member

State:
    wv
    bnt56, go to cabeals or bass pro shop or anywhere you can see this units on display. try them out, most have simulators so you can try options menu.this may help you. in my opintion color unit show bottom so much better than grey scale. screen so much easier to see. on mine you can change back ground color. hope this helps you some. hoppies56