Do i need a steel leader????

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by field989, May 30, 2006.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i use 50 lb power pro and i use a steel leader, which is not as strong as the main line but i use it to protect against bite throughs

do i need a steel leader (for the purpose of protecting against the catfish biting through the line)??????

thanks Jeff

2. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    I dont use one personaly, but you may be going after bigger fish than i am, its really up to you i mean it really cant hurt to use it.

3. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i usually aim for flatheads bigger than 15 lb but really any cat that bites lol.... this summer im gonna try for a 50lb flat that is in this guys pond so hopefully ill catch that one

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jeff,
    Absolutely no need for a steel leader, even for big cats. Stout mono with well tied knots are all you need...W

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I use Sufix 50lb test mono leader line, its just as tough as any steel leader in my opinion. I trust my knots on mono more than I do the crimps on the steel leaders.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Suffix makes a great leader line. I use 80#, better then any steel leader in my opinion.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree with the others, I have never used a steel leader for catfish, you dont need them.

8. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    ok so steel leaders are gone.....

does this setup sound good
    main line, sinker, then barrel swivel, then mono, then hook
    or
    main line, 3- way swivel, then hook then weight on bottom

what brand of mono is good that they sell at wally world
    triline big-game???

9. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    A steel leader for cat can cost you bites as they can sense the steel and will spit out or avoid the bait.

10. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    WELL FELLAS I HAVE ALWAYS USED STEEL LEADERS AND SOMETIMES MAKE MY OWN SO I KNOW THEY WILL HOLD UP.CATS DONT BITE THREW THEY WILL ONCE HOOKED GO INTO A ROLL LIKE A ALLIGATORS DEATH ROLL AND WHILE DOING THIS THERE SANDPAPER LIKE TEETH WILL FRAY AT THE LINE CAUSEING IT TO WEAKEN AND BREAK. THE STEEL LEADERS HAVE A SWIVEL SO THEY CAN ROLL ALL THEY WANT AND NOT TWIST YOUR LINE UP EITHER. I HAVE USED 50+ LEADER LINES BEFORE AND LOST A MANY BIGGGG ONES DUE TO THEM FRAYING THOUGH THE LINE SO STEEL IS FOR MY REEL.:big_smile:

11. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    GATOR,I HAVE TO RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE, IF CATS CANT SINCE A STEEL OR METAL HOOK THEN I DONT SEE WHAT A STEEL LEADER MATTERS!:smile2:

12. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I used to believe that steel leaders will a good idea until I actually hooked into a cat with one. What happened was basically large scrapes all up and down the fish's body with a lot of removed slime. I dont see any need for them since I have never had a fish fray monofilament at all, and I use a swivel. Their little toothpatches will just rest against the line, and I have never had it cut the line at all. What might be happening for you, trfoster, is that you fish around a lot of rocks and things.

13. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i always used steel leaders and only 1 time i have thrown the bait out and not got a bite, so that is real iffy but i just wanted to see what y'all thought about the situation

14. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I still believe steel leaders can be a good idea, but you might look for the ones that are coated. The plain steel leaders may cause those scrapes and slime removal, but the rubber coated ones won't.

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If your using steel leaders for catfishing, then you are sure doing your part to polute the rivers, lakes and streams. What breaks first? your main line of the leader? If catfish had teeth like gar, or bluefish, or even flounder, you could justify steel leaders, but they don't. As far as them chewing on your line and weakening it, isn't that why we were supposedly taught to run the line through our fingers for rough spots, and if found, replace the bad part of the line. Of course it is a matter of opinion, and I have been wrong before, but I kinda think your reasoning for using steel leaders is wrong.

16. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    ok so if i take out the leader, what kind of rig do u suggest

17. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    when it comes to catfishing steel leaders are kinda a overkill. what i do with my leaders is. i take a 12" peice of 20lb big game double it up to six inches and the tie it to a barrell swivel. give that a try. and stop wasting money on those leaders.

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I dont even use steel leader blue fishing in the ocean and they have teeth like razors.
    I lose a very few due to a mono leader failing.

For catfish, I use 50 pound ANDE for leader. Never have lost a cat due to leader failure with mono.

19. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Im not so sure about the pollution of the rivers so much, but I am with you on this one. This is what I was trying to point out; the reasoning behind using steel leaders is a little bit flawed. The toothy fish, like you said, would be justified to use a steel leader, but catfish just have the little toothy patches. And you get about as much damage on the leader from the surroundings as you do the actual fish. Monofilament leaders are also cheaper, so if you are willing to save some money, I would advise switching to mono. One more thing: steel leaders cant be clipped by anything short of wire clippers (dikes, to some) so you have to carry another tool with you if you gut hook a fish. Just my two cents.

20. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    so would the doubling up the big game in turn double up the strength?