do i need a new depth finder?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by flatheadslayer, Oct 22, 2009.

1. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i have a hummin bird depth finder on my boat,the temp. & depth work good.its a cheap $95.00 unit(all i could afford).it never shows up fish.my question is,do i need a new more expensive unit or can i adjust the sensativity,if so how sesative would i need it.thanks:crazy:

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have several of the cheap 68.00 finders that work great. I would think your unit, at that price would have more bells and whistles than mine, leading me to the conclusion that it must be operator error. Find another boater and ask them for a fast 5 minute course on how to adjust your sensitivity. Thats what I had to do...LOL. I had AKwolf show me one year at the degray gathering.

3. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    i have a cheapo and mine shows three different size fish and has fish ID on or off and fish alarm. paid 78 dollars for it four years ago and still works great. i leave my sensetivity at 0. Mine dont even have temp or mph.

4. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    mine does'nt have mph either.maybe i just need to adjust the sensativity,thanks.

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    No offense to anyone that has good luck with cheaper fish finders but how many pro's do you know that use cheap equipment?
    I am talking about guides, tournament fishermen, and possibly some commercial fishermen. I personally do not know that many tourny fishermen or guides that even good OUTDATED equipment. 95% of the GOOD tourny fishermen or guides in my area use a color Lowrance with atleast a 5" screen.

6. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    to me, half the fun of fishing is looking and trying to figure where the fish would likely be. i do use graphs on my boat but i use them for the depth and temp information. i have fished with a friend that has an expensive lowrance unit and he cant take his eyes off his fish finder long enough to do any fishing. it's comical to see how engrossed he is with the information his graph is projecting. now, i'm sure that the more expensive graphs are worth the money if you need to see things in 3-D and color and pinpoint a certain spot on the lake where you caught fish last trip out but for the average fisherman the most important info that you need is water depths and for locating underwater structure. find the structure and you usually find the fish. if you have the money to spend on expensive equipment and you have more confidence when you have this equipment then by all means get it. but if you just want to go out and pit your skills against the fish with a one on one battle then a cheap graph is fine.

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    For your average cat fisherman a cheap unit will show depth and structure. Sure a $600 one is nice but for a $100 I bet ya I can catch fish ; )

Its more of a $$ issue. Seeing depth is a lot better than waiting until you can afford the one that costs big bucks. That's what I'm doing for now. Later on I will drop over $600 for Gps and all, but for now...A cheap one will work fine.

8. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i ain't got the money the pro's have!i would never pay 600.00 for one any way.its just mine shows accurate depth,and temp.,but no bait fish,or bigger fish.i catch plenty,it would just be nice to be able to see bait fish.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  9. afishpatrol

afishpatrol New Member

State:
    indiana
    make shur the transducer is set up on the boat correctly...it's critical... best way to do so is to put your boat in the water and take a small level and mark a level line somewhere in your boat.
    next put your boat on the trailer and jack it up to the point your line is level again.
    next put level on your ducer to make shure it is level, if not adjust it so it is. then also make shure it is level from side to side and the depth of the ducer is not to deep or shallow in comparison with the bottom of your boat, generaly you want the ducer about 1/8th inch below the bottom of your boat.
    keep your sesitiviyty as high as you can without a lot of screen clutter. if you have the option of fish ID or showing true arches, use the true arches rather than showing a fish symbol.
    the cheap graphs work fine but the high dollar ones are much more fun..lol..stick with what you can afford, it leaves more money to fish with.

10. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Preston, Hummingbird has the manuals on there web site and also a trouble shooting guide. Each unit has different setting that they prefer. Some run best in auto mode and others work better with advanced settings. I would look at the website to get a guide line then try adjusting the sensitivity a little at a time. To many times I have fished a spot that didn't show fish, but the structure of the bottom looked good and produced fish. Don't get to hung up on the fish symbols and arches. Fish the structure that looks productive.

11. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    For me, just seeing the depth is cheating enough. But, different strokes for different folks.

For the most part, I only fish for fun and to me, trying to figure out the "puzzle" if half the fun.

To put it in hunting terms, you can shoot deer around the feeder in your back yard or,,,, you can get out into the woods and play the game. Which is more fun to you?

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    What you have will work just fine brother. As many have posted, you just need to play with it and see what works for you. Get rid of the "fish" icons and change it to arches! That is the only way to clearly judge what you are seeing. I like my sensitivity set real low. I only want to see strong returns on my screen. Large bait balls will still how with a low setting. If its a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the most sensitive, I go with 3-4 based on the amount of debris in the water.

You find should have a "simulator" mode and that will allow you to play with the settings at home in your driveway

13. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Yup,exactly! and if I depended upon a fish finder as part of my work then I too would be willing to shell out big $$$,but I'm just doing it for fun and as a hobby I'm not gonna dump 1000 bucks into a fish finder, let me see the bottom contours and depth and I can find the fish on my own.

14. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I was only posting this as INFORMATION.
    I guide and tournament fish. To me it has saved at least $500 extra it takes to chase the bait down. Plus EBAY and the craigslist are the budget fisherman's friend. With advances in technology the NEW units from 5 yrs ago are now dirt cheap. I see the LCX 15's that I drooled over 5 yrs ago now selling COMPLETE for $200 or less. I see BPS selling the units that were $1200+ for about half price and they are new in box.
    I used a HB 525 for a couple yrs. It worked well for what I needed at the time and that was that it showed depth and temp. Now that I chase the larger fish more often, I need a unit that will show me aproximately what size of fish are in that area so I don't waste time on smaller fish.
    I have seen it first hand that the fish will be where they are NOT suppose to be that time of year, example would be BELOW thermocline in July, and I have caught them. With a cheaper unit I would not have had the faith in my electronics to believe that fish is below thermocline.
    This is just my opinion, I personally worked several weekends of overtime just to get my electronics, and scraped and scrounged where ever I could to make sure that I could afford to do so.

15. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    There is much validity in all of the posts. IMHO, unless your income is dependent upon that particular device, don't get caught up in the hype that your unit is inferior.

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm as guilty as most, as far as getting into the hype. Let the real truth be known, I haven't really mastered any of the electronic devices that I own. I should really practice what I preach but if you can't master the unit you already own.....How do you KNOW it's incapable of meeting your needs ????

I can truly speak from experience, since many of my friends call me "Inspector Gadget":embarassed::embarassed::embarassed:.............:eek:oooh: