Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Do I need a Fishing license?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  canebreaker 
#1 ·
have a question for yall ok my fishing license ran out this past weekend and unable to get them until this weekend so im planning on fishing the river WED so with that's being said my family friend has private property on the river do I need a fishing license to fish the river since im on private property and the river runs through his property.

#5 ·
Simple answer: either have a license (or don't get caught).

Since I rent property with a pond and have permission to fish a pond on another property that also has river frontage, I decided to check the regulations....Here's an excerpt from Va DGIF.

All persons, except those listed below, must purchase the proper licenses before fishing.

Resident or nonresident landowners, their spouses, their children and grandchildren and the spouses of such children and grandchildren, or the landowner's parents, resident or nonresident, do not need a license to hunt, trap, or fish within the boundaries of their own lands and inland waters.
Residents under 16 years of age (also do not need a trout license).
Resident, active-duty members of the armed forces while on official leave—must have copy of leave papers in their possession.
Tenants, on the land they rent and occupy, are not required to have a license, but must have the written permission of the landowner.
Guests fishing in individually owned private ponds.

Hmmm, if you have permission to fish a pond, you're a guest, right? So, you would need a fishing license only if you fishing in a private pond without permission, which in itself is illegal?...

Fishing is getting way too complicated....You'll also need the definition of "inland waters." Then there are "waters of the Commonwealth." And second thoughts about my rental situation. I rent the house but there's nothing specific about the pond. Maybe I need written permission....But wait, I HAVE a fishing license!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.