Do gravel pits that contain northern pike still hold catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Montgomery, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i have been trying to fish this gravel pit. which is like 50 years old , and once was a pay lake. which means they stocked it . i have cought big carp with great numbers back to back. and have seen millions of bass. ranging in all sizes.the water is crystle clears. not much shallow i dont think . i only fish from bank, and every were i cast is fairly deep i think. only like a 2 foot ledge for shallow , then drops off like a whole. all the way around. and i was told there was northern pike in there. and one day i was fishing alone . and in that 2 foot of shallow bank. i seen a small 3 to 5 inch fish . i had never seen before. i was very quiet and still. and studied the fish. came home and looked it up on line. and i am 100 percent positive it wa a northern. but my question is . i heard gravle pitts dont hold many cats. i have cought 1 like 1 lbs. missed 2 others. but since this place is so old , pluse was stocked . and was not alloud to be fished for like 10 yeaers after the pay lake closed down. would have monsters. but i also thought northern pike was very aggressive. could they have depleted to catfish populations ?? and since that place is very much deeper then the rivers around me in ohio. should i be fishinf the gravel pitt . due to its deep water. since fall fishing is supposed to be great. would my luck better in a deeper area like this. verses a 4 foot deep river ???

2. Bigdan99

Bigdan99 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I haven't had any luck anywhere, and I have fished from riprap to sand tomud shallow and deep and haven't had any luck anywhere unless it is just how I'm fishing.

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Couldn't tell you about the gravel pit, but if there were any northern pike near me, I would fish for them.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i havent had much experience fishing gravel pits in the fall, but what time i did spend chasing cats in them i done best in the spring and early summer. seems after the spawn they just dissapear. if its over 15-20ft then forget fishing on the bottom, cats will suspend 1/3 the way down. try using a slip float and place it over the deepest area in the lake. is it the old stillwater pay-lake your talkin about?

5. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    This fascinates me.

I get pike and cats in the same river, sometimes in the same day. I get pike and cats in glacier-formed gravel pits- i.e. Lake Huron. We have cats and pike in our family pond at the game ranch... why are you guys so afraid of cats and pike together? If the cat is big enough, the pike has to worry. Think about it.

6. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois

Haha, so true. So so true.