do flats fight harder in presawn

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, May 8, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    the flats i caght in the summer gave up, now there fighting like trains, so far missed 2 large ones only got a six pounde flat and 5 pound channel after being out three times, almost landed a huge flat but my poll couldent keep his head up, is it their bulding musserl for spawn

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    YES!! the water temps in mid summer "HOT" lower the oxygen levels in the water which results in less aggressive fish. Spring and fall is when they hit like "trains" and more often. However they also may hit Very aggressive in the hottest months but will tire out quicker.

3. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    my PB flathead I caught last summer in July and he weighed between 42 and 47 pounds. He hit like a freight train, and fought like you wouldn't believe the whole way to the boat, it was about a 15 minute fight. He was by the far the hardest fighting fresh water fish I've ever caught.

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    so bigger doesent mean harder fighting,

5. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    In my opinion I would say for the most part the bigger the fish the harder the fight. However I've had small flats in the 10lb range fight like they were in the 20 to 25lb range. I think that water temp, when the last time the fish ate, spawning/after spawn, current in the river if fishing the river are all contributing factors to how a fish will fight and their aggressiveness. I've had small cats in the 5 lb range nail the pole and scream the baitclicker making you think that it was a much larger fish, on the other hand I've had 25 and 35lb cats nibble the bait and maybe pull a couple feet off the clicker, then stop, and mess with the bait, making you think it was a small fish messing with the bait. You truly never can tell unless your in slack water the approximate size of the fish, or until you see him and land him. :wink:

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    from all my experiences....the bigger they are, the harder they fight.:crazy:

7. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Very good reply Pete! I agree I just wasn't going to go into full detail on my last post..... I was at work LOL!!

8. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I know they fight pretty good all the time,, Prespawn.Yes.

Spawning= I wouldn't want to be a bluegill swimming past a male flathead gaurding its nest :eek:oooh::smile2: