Do flatheads and Blues eat Everyday?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by KansasKatCatcher, Aug 5, 2008.

1. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    I was just wondering do these type of catfish feed everyday.are do they only feed when the weather is right?

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Catfish are like most preditory fish especially the flatheads. They are opportunistic feeders. They may not feed everyday but if an easy oportunity presents itself they might.

3. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    I agree that they are opportunist. Mostly the flats. I do belive that somedays they do not eat. Some may go several but id say when they do feed its alot. But i dunno:confused2:

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yes.

No.

Maybe.

Aw heck - who knows?!

Since fish are cold blooded and their metabolism changes with water temp and conditions (like oxygen, etc.), the amount they eat will change a lot, too. I suspect that during cool periods in the early spring or winter or late fall, they probably don't eat much - like once a week or even less. In the prime conditions when it's warmer and everything is good (more active, digestion is faster, too!) then they probably do eat almost every day.

Something to think about, though. A few years ago I caught a flathead in the fall (like November maybe - pretty cool, but not real cold yet) that had the tail of a good sized blue cat in his throat (the rest of this 2 or 3 pound blue cat was in his stomach) and he ate my little piece of cut bait! Even though this flathead was so full he couldn't get the whole meal into his stomach, he ate again anyway. I think that pretty much spells out OPPORTUNISTIC.