DO FLATHEAD CATFISH REALLY HIT LIKE BULLHEADS ALL THE TIME?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by BIGCATFISH64, Jun 21, 2009.

1. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    I really have'nt caught all that many flathead catfish in my life, so I'm no expert, but the ones that I have caught, and the ones my buddies have caught, have all hit like small bullheads,even the 40lber my brother-in-law caught hit like that, hell, I've even caught ones I did'nt even know they were on the end of my line until I started to reel them in.
    Is this what I have to look forward to all of the time when targeting these fish. I've heard that they hit like frieghttrains and frankly I have'nt seen it yet.:confused2::eek:oooh:

2. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I just got schooled in that Friday. I caught a couple last summer in August that hit and run but there wasn't really any current and the water was shallower. In a lot of current, I don't think they like to turn around that much.

3. bream reaper

bream reaper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    For me more are slow steady and strong, leaving no doubt when they hit and put a good bend in my rod (tightlining with circles). I get the occational light biter that sits still.

4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've had a few hit like that...but my bigger ones I've caught have slammed my bait. My personal best (a 25lber) doubled over my heavy action set up...had it propped up in some rocks, what a rush when that one hit :roll_eyes:

5. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Time of year has a big effect on how they bite. Also if the flathead is comfortable where he is and you throw your bait right on top of him, he has no reason to run or move. Most of the good runs come from when you are fishing in a feeding area. The flatheads will come in an area to feed and hit your bait and move on to the next meal. This is why I use a heavy action rod with a soft tip, you can see the tip of the rod bend down and stay. Thats a flathead sucking in your bait and sittin still.
    I've floated gills in the river under a float and all the sudden the float just stops moving like it is hung up. The float did not go under or run just stopped. This got me a 26lb flat. Then again I've had them run so hard I was afraid to lock the reel down!!! Flatheads bite several ways sometimes even playing with the bait suckin it in and spitting it back out over and over till they wanna eat it. It takes alot of time to learn whats goin on. The best thing I,ve done is if you think it's a bite then set the hook. If there is a flathead there then you will get him, if not then you might loose your bait.

6. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Doug is right, I dont quite under stand it either. All of the flatheads I have caught so far have all hit in that manner. Usually the blues hit the bait like a freight train and headed for the house from what we have seen. The channels seem hit much harder than the flats for us so far.

7. richard84

richard84 New Member

State:
    ky
    that is very sound advice...good post

8. ErrorS

ErrorS New Member

State:
    indiana
    I've caught two.. one pulled drag on my line and ran like the shark did in the movie jaws, thought it was going to break my abu.. it was insane, most memorable fishing moment in my life. The clicker was on, but my reel wasnt in freespool, drag was set kinda low.. instead of clicking, i heard 'zoooooom'

the other one grabbed the bait and moved off slowly, acting like he didn't even know he was hooked. The pole just kept bending, and bending and bending until drag started pulling slowly.

9. Jadkins

Jadkins New Member

State:
    Connersville, I
    i fish brookville Lake and the ohio river and the 1s i have caught and my fishing buddys all say they are like reeling up a plastic bag..... there relly no time of year that i have seen them hit hard....... but thats just for me and the guys i fish with

10. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    The head acts like a water kite. The more current they have to play with, the more action they can give you.

11. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana

I know what you mean about reeling in a plastic bag. But then again I've had a 30lb flathead jumping out of the water like a bass:eek:oooh: did it 4 times in a row!

12. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i never thought of them hitting like bullheads. i guess they do sometimes. you guys need to make a trip up to my place for a weekend. these rivers wil teach you how flats bite,wont it Matt. lol

13. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I fish mostly live gills big or small -whatever I happen to catch for bait that day. Baby flatties often take the bait running fast like channels or buzz the clicker in short fast "spirts". Bigger ones- more often than not- take the bait and walk slow and steady with it.

14. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah Man! When they hit up here 9.5 times out of 10 you're gonna' know it!