Do flathead catfish hit like bullheads all the time?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by BIGCATFISH64, Jun 21, 2009.

1. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    I really have'nt caught all that many flathead catfish in my life, so I'm no expert, but the ones that I have caught, and the ones my buddies have caught, have all hit like small bullheads,even the 40lber my brother-in-law caught hit like that, hell, I've even caught ones I did'nt even know they were on the end of my line until I started to reel them in.
    Is this what I have to look forward to all of the time when targeting these fish. I've heard that they hit like frieghttrains and frankly I have'nt seen it yet.:confused2::eek:oooh:

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I don,t know whats up with that deal Doug.I,d say less than 10% of my fish have ever played around with it,most of them just take off for parts unknown.Are you using big live bait?:wink:.

3. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I've had them hit real soft like Bullheads and also hit hard like Blues and sometimes the line will just go slack. Never know what them Flatties will do.

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    it depends were your at, if your on a lake at night, they hammer it down and pull, if your in a log jame they might pullhard or just mouth it, if your at a dam they will not move at all ,they just tugg, ,,this is my experiance, and the bigger the slower they takeoff,

5. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Yes sir, I've used live bait & cut bait and still the same result.

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thats due to the area and time your fishing, were are you fishing douge, spillways and daytime flats wont run, also some big ones lay in the mud and just suck the fish in and will not move,, if your in a cruising zone they will nail the bait, its 50 50 if your in logjames, explain your area this will help you

7. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Fish for them on the Ohio river, down south Derby IN. area in logjams, woodpiles, and dropoffs using about 4oz's of wieght!

8. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    Most of mine grab the bait and start out slow and steady pulling the clicker in short burst until you set the hook and then the battle is on. I mostly fish cover.

9. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Time of year has a big effect on how they bite. Also if the flathead is comfortable where he is and you throw your bait right on top of him, he has no reason to run or move. Most of the good runs come from when you are fishing in a feeding area. The flatheads will come in an area to feed and hit your bait and move on to the next meal. This is why I use a heavy action rod with a soft tip, you can see the tip of the rod bend down and stay. Thats a flathead sucking in your bait and sittin still.
    I've floated gills in the river under a float and all the sudden the float just stops moving like it is hung up. The float did not go under or run just stopped. This got me a 26lb flat. Then again I've had them run so hard I was afraid to lock the reel down!!! Flatheads bite several ways sometimes even playing with the bait suckin it in and spitting it back out over and over till they wanna eat it. It takes alot of time to learn whats goin on. The best thing I,ve done is if you think it's a bite then set the hook. If there is a flathead there then you will get him, if not then you might loose your bait.

10. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    for me it seemed like in the spring the bite wasn't as aggressive as in the fall, but once the flatty's find out they have a hook in the mouth its far from any bullhead i've caught:wink:

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've never had a flathead to hit like a bullhead. All the flatheads I have caught hit like a freight train and heading for the next county.:big_smile: I fish shallow feeding areas at night in a lake....with live bluegills as big as your hand!:crazy:

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I think that if your baits big and lively,they try to crush it more to kill it,thus getting stuck in the mouth with the hook more.Once they feel that hook,HOLD ON!:wink:

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I guess it would depend on what kind of bullhead bite you have. The little buggers around here give you a heck of a battle on light gear. I believe that most big fish have no need to run until they feel the resistance of your line. I don't think that they even feel the sting of the hook, just something pulling one way and they automatically go the other. Channels are notorious for grabbing a bait and then darting off. This behavior is designed to get the food quickly away from competition. In general the smaller the cat the faster it will take off because of this. Big fish even when hooked may not run until they get spooked. I had a very big flat on one night in a lake and all was going well till he saw a flash of the light and heard to big feet in the water with a net! lol Man did he take of fast! I was left holding the bag with my jaw dropped open........ lol :smile2::smile2::smile2::wink:

14. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Depends on when and where and how. In my experience, when fishing dead bait (cut bait) the flatheads just gently pick it up and there hardly any hit at all. With live bait, the standard bite is a little thump followed by a short pause and then a gradual pull. Smaller flatheads will sometimes really take off with a bait, but the big boys usually just pull it down slow - they are in no hurry and nobody is going to take it away from them.

15. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a theory that it all depends on what other fish are around. If the flathead messing with your bait is the biggest and baddest around that part at that time they have no reason to get a move on. They can eat and hang out if they want to. I have had flatheads hit my bait and I could swear they sit there for over 5 minutes without moving and then I reel in and it is there. On the other hand if there are multiple large flats in the area and they are afraid of one of the other flats stealing the food supply then they attack more like a bass and then get out of dodge with their meal. This is all just my theory so I could be way off.

16. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Thanks guys for all of you feedback it all helps in determining how to master these fish, I truly do appreciate it!

17. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    That has been my experience with my flatheads. I have never had one hit like a freight train.

18. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i cant say, all mine ran off with a clicker, but how many did i mis thinking they were little channels???????, HOW DO YOU KNOW, IN THAT CASE A CIRCAL HOOK IS OUT OF THE QWESTION,WICH BRINGS YOU BACK TO MY POLL FOR FLATHEAD HOOK