Do figures lie?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mac-b, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    The World Health Organization (WHO) is back on the tobacco trail again. They now say that 5,000,000 people will die from smoking Worldwide and from the second hand effects of smoking. The current population of the World is 6,446,131,900 + and counting. Total deaths Worldwide was 56,597,034 as of July 2005. Total number of smokers Worldwide is estimate at 1.3 billion.

Now let's do a little math. Of the total population Worldwide, approximately 11.55% die from all causes. Dividing 56,597,034 folks who died by the number of current deaths from smoking (5,000,000) equals 11.5% (rounded). Up to this point, smokers and non-smokers are dying at about the same rate. Now the complexion of this dying stuff gets confusing to me. WHO states that there are 1.3 billion smokers Worldwide, which is approximately 19% of the Worldwide population, yet their percentage of the smokers death rate is 18 to 19% according to WHO. It is commonly known that 23 to 25 percent of the US of A population smoke cig's. Also, it is common knowledge that China, Japan, Korea and other countries are the largest buyers of US of A tobacco. So, I would have doubts about the (low) number of smokers presented by WHO, which would cause the foregoing figures to not reflect the true situation as it relates to the use of tobacco products. It would not surprise me at all, if the true number (2.4 billion worldwide) of smokers were used in the foregoing stats, a death rate in the order of 11 to 12% would reflect the true situation.

I have not totally presented this data to say that cig. smoking is good for you, which it might not be for you. But of late, such as the climate scientist fudging their temperatures to make a case for Global Warming, so do I believe the WHO group is sort of doing the same thing. I can live with the truth, but I'm sick and tired of World Organization fudging the facts to continue to receive funding from the UN and the USA.

Also, don't forget that 100% of the population that eats eggs, bacon, ham, chicken, fish, beef, veggies, milk are going to die.

I will close with this. I do not recommend that any one start smoking tobacco products. I started when I was teenagers because my peers smoked, I have tried to quit more times than I have fingers and toes.

Question is, what do y'all think about the way our government and their agencies, State side and Worldwide use figures to match their agenda's.

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey Mac., while we are about this, you wouldn't happen to have another one on ya would ya? I am out. Smoked my last one reading your post. What ya got, Lucky Strike, Camels? I hope it ain't one them girlie Menthol things. I quit Marlboro once they killed that cowboy so they's out.

Mac. looking on down past the mailbox as I reply to ya here, I think I know what you and my problem is as regards this kinda thing. We are too damb old. We seen the sunset too many times. A lifetime, one more than 40 years gives us some insight into being conned and duped and fudged. I have no doubt cigarette smoking can, will and does kill ya. Got not a problem with them thinkings. Had a surgeon tell me three years ago before he sliced and diced my herniated back that I had lung cancer. Said when my back got better and I could walk again I should walk myself into another surgeon and get my lung carved out. Thought about that for a coupla days and I walked the other way and am still smoking.

The problem as I see it is that once I learned to fry my own eggs, knew how to breed a woman, and could change the tires on my pickup without help that I could make my own decisions about how to live the rest of my life, within the law of course. We grew up when is was ok to shoot BB guns at one another playing Cowboys and Indians without some Govt Dick telling us it weren't right.

As we progressed to old man hood the world kept getting tighter sphinctered and the new young hotshots told us how wrong we were in just being alive. Now we got trillions of dollars ready to be spent on Global Warming because some guys who have odd initials after their names have learned how to cook the books. Sounds like this outfit has learned how to cook the books too.

I gotta pay you this cigarette back?

3. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i just think its all a big crock myself.my great grand mother and great grand father both lived to be over 100.both smoked probably from their teen yrs.i'm not sayin' its good for ya,but the books are cooked i beleive.

plus the government wants to protect people from their selfs,like seat belts they just protect you,no one else.they say half the food we eat causes cancer,maybe it does.i'm not gonna stop eating though.

so my smoking is my choice,if it kills me,its my choice.no cooked up books & figures are'nt gonna change that,besides sometings gonna kill me.

just my .02 cents worth.

4. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The thing that really gets me about all this anti-smoking stuff is this.. If its such a bag thing, You make everyone in the USA that smokes go to his/her doctor and show that they smoke. Now that doctor places them in a computer file and this person can walk into a drug store anywhere in the USA and buy smokes, snuff or chaw at a reasonable price..

BUT NO ONE ELSE CAN BUY THEM ! In 40 or 50 years all the smokers have died off and the trouble is over. No need tell more BS.

But its not about health. If a dumb old country boy like myself can see such a simple fix you know those in power can too. Its not about health. Its about MONEY....We are being bled dry and we're paying them to do it !

5. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    hey, have ya'll heard about the global warming scientists screwing with the info to cover up the fact that the world ain't really warming? :smile2:

6. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I learned something a few years ago. Sometimes when the government does the percentage things, the numbers may not be current. They normally take the highest year on record and stick with those numbers forever. Take for example stolen cars. 1991 was one of the highest years on record for auto theft in our great state. They decided to use that as the base year. Each and every year since then that's what they compare the current years auto thefts to. Even know 2007 may be higher than 2006 and 2005, it's still less than 1991 so they can say that Auto Theft was reduced however many percent.

It's all a numbers game... Doesn't matter what the variables are in the equation.

7. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was watching one of the following Discovery, Science, National Geo, History channels and saw a show about Alaska. They told about someone discovering a glacier and that a handfull of years later the thing had retreated a good number of miles. (Meaning that though I don't recall the number it was well more than a couple) .

They are having a hard time covering up the fact that there are books and stories passed down from the 1600s on showing that there has been a great deal of warming and that its been going on for years.

Reading books/stories like "A Christmas Carol" To understand that winters were far more harsh back then.

8. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    so your buying into the whole al gore song and dance.

9. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to confuse anyone. Let me start by saying I have no idea what if anything Al Gore said about this..

Its more along the lines of what Bob Dylan said.

"You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows."

Its about knowing that when the first white men were exploring Alaska, They kept journals, drew maps, built settlements etc etc etc.. They did not know that 200 years later some BS pushing people would want to scare people.

The following taken
    From Wikipedia-

The explorer Captain George Vancouver found Icy Strait, at the south end of Glacier Bay, choked with ice in 1794. Glacier Bay itself was almost entirely iced over. In 1879 naturalist John Muir found that the ice had retreated almost all the way up the bay, a distance of around forty-eight miles. By 1916 the Grand Pacific Glacier was at the head of Tarr Inlet about 100 km (65 miles) from Glacier Bay's mouth. This is the fastest documented glacier retreat ever.[citation needed] Scientists are hoping to learn how glacial activity relates to climate changes from the retreat.

What I am saying is that They wrote down what they saw 200 years ago with no reason to lie. And you can fly to Glacier Bay yourself and see that the ice has melted 100 miles if you care too.

But that in its self don't really prove that the whole world is warming. There are currents in the oceans just like the Gulf stream in the Atlantic and they can change. And such could be the cause of the glacier melt.

But if you pick up books written 3, 4, or even 500 years ago about Europe, You will find them speaking of winters that are far worse than those today...

The Isle of Great Britian would make a very good example. Lots written about it and it don't take a great deal to understand that people used to suffer mightily in the cold. But look at it today. The island is warmed by the afore mentioned Gulf stream.. There are a good nimber of chat rooms and forums on the web where you can speak to people in Scotland, Wales, England, Ireland etc.. Ask them how the winters are now. Ask the old ones how they were when they were kids.

I can tell you myself that as of today, I have not seen a week this year where I could not have been outside in a tee-shirt. We haven't seen 6 inches of snow in I don't know how long and when we do get one, Its gone in a couple of days.. But I recall back in I think the early 70's having snow on the ground full time for about a month and it snowed 3 Thursdays ( I think it was ) in a row.

But I recall playing in many snows as a child that came over the tops of my rubber boots. Haven't seen that in a long while now...

Beyond that, You can read, if you look for it, Accounts of 50 wild oxen found frozen in a river.. all were pointing to the same shore with heads up etc.. How did the water freeze deep enough, fast enough, that their bodys didn't rot or were not eaten by fish ?

Same for wooly mamoths found frozen with green grass still in their mouths.

How about a map that was found that no one could say where the land was. It was drawn on a piece of leather and was very old.. Then, One day after they had come up with a way to see the ground under all the ice in Antarctica, Someone saw that the picture they got was the same as the old leather map.. Some human had mapped Antarctica when there was no ice..

So the short answer is Yes. I believe the earth is warming. But I also believe it is just getting back where it belongs. Something like an ice comet must have hit the earth somewhere up about the north pole and caused all the ice/cold IMO and from that time till now the earth has been warming back up.

If you wish to, you can read about the oxen and the mammoths here.

http://www.prophecyinthenews.com/news.asp

Take what you can find and piece it together and form your on opinion. Right or wrong, I have reasons for what I think and Al Gore didn't have a thing to do with it.

10. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    now your getting off into prophecies,that has nothing to do with this but,since your there.Are you sayin you believe the world will end in 2012,thats what the mayans prophicized,but they could prophicize their on demize.and i don't put much stock in all this science stuff,i did'nt come from no monkey!don't believe none of what you read and only half of what you see.

11. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Well I smoke and yes one day I will die if it is from smoking or not no one will know cause once I die nobody will be able to prove if I had not smoked when I would have died so there LOL

12. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina

If you'd taken the time you would have/could have seen that though it was taken from the Prophecy in the news web site, Its in a section called Amazing discoverys.. Prophecy had nothing to do with a thing I wrote.

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    In my humble opinion,Any time the government gets involved in something like this,its gonna be skewed to their advantage. You cant believe anything from washingtons puppets.:wink:

14. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Prophecy or not ...There was more snow when I was a kid in the 70's . Sure made rabbit hunting easier !:wink:

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Same agency had sacchrin banned because it caused cancer.
    10 Years later it came out that the lab rats were given 100 times the amount a human would consume.
    Water will give you cancer if you drink enough of it.

These sleeping giant beuracracies have to wake up once in a while and present some "revelation" to justify their jobs.

16. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    LOL Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slOY...7449F01B&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=13