Do electronic hook sharpeners work?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by reelking92, Jun 11, 2007.

1. reelking92

reelking92 New Member

State:
    MI
    i was recently at gander mountain and saw one for around 10 bucks. Has anybody else used them with succes?

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    never used one but it only takes 2 seconds to sharpen one with small file why woud u spend 10 dollars on any thing but gas.imo

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I couldn't agree more!!!

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I agree with a small file, the electric ones are usually designed for hooks smaller than 5/0.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Generally, I agree that it's just as easy to sharpen hooks with a file. But I remember seeing an ad for a hook sharpener that was supposed to make a conical point, rather than triangular. I bought a bunch of conical pointed hooks from Herter's back in the early 70s, and they were the sharpest hooks I'd ever used. Also, they seemed to penetrate better than the triangular type. And I remember reading an article comparing the two types that pointed out that the triangular point actually cuts its way through the lip, whereas the conical point makes a puncture that kind of grips the hook. The cut can tear larger than the original hole, allowing the fish to throw the hook. :0a36:

6. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I use a file myself. I do have a friend that uses the battery powered one your describing to quickly hit his trotline and jug hooks while he runs them. He has good sucess with it. He took the guard off so he can sharpen BIG hooks quickly.

7. Big Eli

Big Eli New Member

State:
    Ohio, Clifton
    I bought one this winter and have used it this year. It's another gaget for the boat. I agree a file works just fine but I do like my battery powered one as well.