Do depth finders Find Catfish

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by Drawout, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Ive heard that a depth finder detects scales on fish and thats how u get a reading,If this is true then how do they find catfish or do they ? "Sorry If this is a stupid question":confuse:

2. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That's not a stupid question at all brother. It's actually a very good question that I personally asked DH not long ago over a phone conversation with him. When he sees this question, I'm sure he'll be able to answer your question and make you understand better than I could explain it. But yes you can tell the difference between scaled and non-scaled fish with a fish finder.

3. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    It's all about the whiskers!
    They should- my depth finder finds things that I know are not fish but appear so on the screen- large floating debris and you think Jaws is underneath the boat.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Depth finders are great tools for finding catfish. I look at it this way, when you find the right type of structure and you see fish arches in that srtucture, chances are you have found the cats you are looking for. You need to be able to read the structure and it's proxcimaty to a deep hole or channel, to determine what type of fish are in the structure.

5. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Depthfinder is the best tool on my boat. I not only use it for finding holes and structure but with practice you can determine bottom type (hard, soft, rock, ect...) structure type, (stumps, tops, trees, ect) and locate and catch the fish. That's right. Many times I have been checking a hole and find good arches positioned on structure that indicate they may be active. I've then set the boat in a position to effectively fish that structure and those fish. Lots of times within 5 minutes of presenting the bait I've had a fish on.

There are many others here that know a lot more about reading their depthfinder than I do but I will tell you this. Set it up to show arches and not fish drawings. Then learn to use the zoom feature. Get the "Greyline" feature too. The things you can see and learn with these three features set up and running will really improve your fishing.

6. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
  7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I don't see how you can shed any more lite on the topic DH! LOL!

8. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks deerhunter that was very informative ive been wanting to get another depthfinder

9. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Thx alot all great responses and DH that is very detailed:big_smile:

10. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Not a dumb question at all Johnny. I friend and I were wondering this very thing. Now we have all been educated. Thanks.

11. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Thanks for the lesson . depth finder 101 :big_smile:

12. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

Man I wish I had read this post before going fishing this morning. Fishing a deep water tree. It was in 35ft of water. Also this was off a deep water point. along a creek channel.
    Depth finder showed fish. Well after 2 blues, 5 channel cats, 2 crappie, and 4 white bass left it.
    JW what was I doing wrong to catch all that in one tree?

Also depth finder works on blocked signals. Anything that blocks the signal will return a signal. Scales have noting to do with it. Fish, sticks, anything that is floating under water will show a return.
    Pete

13. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Great article. Learn something new every day.

14. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Johnny, I think I seen posted on here before the only dumb question is the one not asked. Im glad you asked this question. That is some excellent info DH shared. I learned alot THANKS.

15. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    Whoever said that you can tell the difference between a scaled and non-scaled fish with a depth finder is "mistaken"!! Maybe it was meant to be a joke!!
    The top of the line depth finders show the fish as arches of different sizes. Color units will help you to detect the fish easier, especially if the fish is right on the bottom, but none of them will help you to determine if its a catfish or a gar!
    The only way to see what is actually under the boat is to catch it or see it somehow. An underwater camera, such as an Aqua-View, would be a very interesting and valuable tool to use around log jams!!

16. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You know I just love it when someone comes on and makes a bold statement like this, it was not a joke and you believe what you want and I will too. I hope this helps

D/H

17. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,

Uh.... no it is no mistake. I bought a lowrance 135 just like DH's. I cannot yet operate it as well as he can, but his is set, and I have personally witnessed it, so that there is a marked difference between a scaled fish and a non scaled fish. BTW the X135 has 4000 watts of peak power. You see the banner at the top of this site? That's DH, and as jealous as I am of him, he caught that fish after he marked it and a few others. Careful how you say something on here. I am sure you are quite knowlegeable and it honestly amazed me too the first time I saw it.

18. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Dont get to fired up Dh, i started this thread and u answered my question perfectly thats all that really matters. :cool2:

19. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    Alright......I'll just have to see it to believe it. I've been using Lowrance depth finders for years, and I've been in many boats with very good units, but this is the first that I've ever heard about detecting a fish with or without scales! Didn't mean to ruffle feathers....it's just hard for me to believe! It would be cool if my LC X-17 could do it!!

20. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Drawout, Don't mean to hijack your thread but I would like to respond to CBH.

Using a Lowrance LMS350A in manual mode and setting it up for a double echo method it is very possible to tell scaled from nonscaled fish. In the second echo only anything hard will reflect back a positive signal to the unit, so any fish that has scales will reflect back, any non scaled will not. Gets confusing but here is what you have, as an example your fishing 30 foot of water, i'll set up my unit in manual mode for 65 foot depth of water, it will paint a picture on the screen at 30 foot, if the bottom is hard then there will be another picture on the screen at 60 foot or twice the depth, a soft bottom will not return anything, if your targeting a Catfish that is sitting behind a large boulder in 30 foot of water the boulder will show up at 30 foot along with a fish arch at 30 foot, but that same boulder will also show up at 60 foot but the Catfish having no scales will not show up at 60 foot.

I'm getting ready to upgrade to a new Lowrance color unit so I'm sure that a lot of things are going to be different for me when I start using this newer unit.

Doc