Do deer avoid areas where there are Bear?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Sentry Dog Man, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Just wondering if any of you guys have experienced minimal (if any) deer activity in areas where there is a lot of Bear sign??

In my area, I am beginning to think that it is a problem. I have found very little deer sign in the area I used to hunt 15 years ago (which I am hunting this year). But, there is loads of Bear sign. Had one fellow (who owns a gun shop and does a lot of deer hunting) tell me that it certainly was a problem if there were Bear in the area.

Anyway, the area I am hunting has loads of food for deer this year. Got a bumper crop of acorns and have had bunches of wild grapes and cherries. But, there is very little deer sign. I have not been able to find any trails and have only found two rubs and a couple of scrapes.

Your input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Dont know, but I've seen deer and bear both in the same field at the same time.

We have bear tracks show up on the farm periodically. I kinda thought it was making the deer double in population because it seems thats whats its doing.:smile2:

3. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    No, they don't. I've got deer and bear on my lease. I've hunted other areas of the state were we saw bear and deer in the same area the same day also.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Shouldn't matter. I believe the only time a bear would eat deer is if it was carrion. Don't think a deer is dumb enough to get within reach of a bear, and I don't think any bear is gonna outrun a deer.

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    What he said! The areas that I hunt have both deer and bear and they don't bother each other. No bear is going to catch a healthy deer and they know it.

6. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I have had the same experience as those above. I have seen them both at the same time and place without much attention to each other.