Do cows know the secret to good fishing days?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jeremiad, Sep 19, 2006.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I was reading somewhere a story that made me do a double take...it goes something like this:

A young fisherman started taking an old fisherman with him on his fishing trips. He did so as a favor to the old man, just to get him out of the house.

As they would make their way back through the country to their favorite fishing hole, the old man would either say, "Well, this is going to be a good fishing day," or "Well, we might as well not bother today."

The young guy was amazed at the old man's ability to prognosticate, for generally he was right.

Finally, the young man asked how the old fisherman was able to know whether the fish were biting or not.

The old fisherman replied, "Well, I look at the cows. If they are standing, then the fish are biting. If they are lying down, then the fish aren't. If some cows are standing and others lying down, then the day will be so-so."

So...what do you think? Could there be a connection between cows and fish bites? :baffle:

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't know, but I will pay attention to that next time just to see. Old timers usually know what they're talking about. 50 points for word useage for prognosticate. Haen't heard that word since, well, never.

3. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    Okay, Matt, I have to admit that I taught High School English for three years. It was hard work keeping up with the students! :haha:

4. Amigo108

Amigo108 New Member

State:
    Columbia, Maryland
    As we all know, cows do all their fishing at night so when they're laying down it might be because they were up all night catching bigguns and that could make it harder for you to catch any the next day.

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Cows have always been a good predictor of not only if the fish are biting but also if the deer are up and active.The theory is ,of course if the cows are up and feeding so is the rest of mother nature.Many times I have driven by a farm and seen two cows talking, one of them waving a nice string of cats,I would immediately turn around and go get the boat.An even better signal that it is time to fish is when you drive by and a cow is at the fence with a sign that says;"Eat More Catfish".:big_smile: :lol: :smile2:

6. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    We in Pa. Look to the cows position for the weather. It's like this... If the cows & horses are lying down in the field then its gonna storm, If theyr'e not then it's not.
    Thats what I was taught anyways!

7. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I am not sure about them predicting fishing patterns, but you CAN use them to predict when a storm is approaching, and as we all know, that helps and has an affect on predicting fishing patterns.

Cattle will gather in a tight group, in the far SE corner of the pasture, or pen, usuall beginning within 18 hours of a storm. The closer the storm, the closer together the cattle will stand. My Grandmother (full blooded native american) used to tell me they do this to get away from the storm as far as possible, and to use each other to shelter from the approaching storm. This has been used by old timers, and even native americans for generations. The native americans used to smell their dog's breath as well, to know when to hunt, or fish. A dog's breath will have suttle changes that are caused by forces that we have become immune to as humans, as do almost all animals in nature.

Look at the Sunami that happened a while back. It amazes me how many people died, but there was hardly ANY evidence of animals, domestic or otherwise, that did not escape, if they were not confined.

8. khensu0213

khensu0213 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I always take it as a good sign when I'm driving past a farm to go fishing when I see a cow by the road with a sign saying 'Got Milk?'

Oh wait...I only see that when I'm drunk and trying to catch catfish in my bathtub....my mistake. :eek:oooh:

9. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If a cow is wavinga nice string of cats, the fishing must be SUPERB!

10. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    I Guessin It Could Have Somthing To Do With Barametric Pressure,not Really Sure.but I Will Be Lookin At The Cows Next Time I Head Out

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    EXACTLY Breck!!!!!:big_smile: It could also be a sign that the beer was really cold at the local pub however.:big_smile: :lol:

12. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    Well, around here it's about time to start painting smiley faces on our cows. It appears that deer hunters in these parts keep mistaking the cows for deer.

From the looks of it, we're going to have to watch out for some of you guys! :haha:

13. huntduck

huntduck New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Have always heard that from the older fishermen.My grandfather used to use the wind to predict the fishing.
    Wind out of the East-Fish bite the least.
    Wind out of the West-Fish bite the best.

Ryme or truth?
    Just one of those things Paw-Paw always said.

14. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    It woulndt have any thing to do with the barometric pressure, would it??? I read that when the barromoter starts to go up, the fishin is good and when it drops, the fishin is unfavorable..............

15. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    When the fish are standing, it's a good day to milk a cow.

16. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    The only problem with this theory is that cows are eating machines. How many stomaches do they have? They eat all the dang time...so it must always be a good time to fish. :cool2:

17. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Do you what it means when the cows lay down?

Their legs are tired.

18. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I thought cows were vegetarian?? I did not know they ate fish.......:roll_eyes:

19. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I may be more of a hunter than fisherman. If you will watch, at the time the game is moving, the fish are also biting. If you don't see anything stirring, the fishing is usually not good either. The air pressure is a big factor on the movement but there are other factors as well.

20. waitin on whiskers

waitin on whiskers New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    My grampa used to tell us that all the time and sometimes he was right just figured he knew the holes we were fishing in pretty well, but i also remember going fishing one time without him and noticed a lot of cows were laying down. Told my friend what my grandpa always said and he said he heard it as well, but we cleaned up that day. They may be somewhat of an indicator if at all but i for one will not go fishing just cause thet are laying down. if the bite is slow ill just join them.