Do channels swim in schools?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Pantera_KY, May 30, 2008.

1. Pantera_KY

Pantera_KY New Member

State:
    KY
    I've been fishing at a pay lake this year and the guy that owns it tells me channels that are farm raised swim in schools. We always either do really good there or catch nothing. Last time these guys sat on the other side of the lake and caught their limit in 2 hours. We were using the same kind of bait and never got a single bite. I had never heard of channels swimming in schools from what I've seen out there i've started to believe it. Does anyone know?

2. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    I don't know if there's any scientific evidence of it or not, but as a kid growin up in the 50s and goin fishin with my grandad, he told me they did sometimes. and the way they would bite and we'd catch em seemed to support that they did.

Many times out fishing I'd catch a bunch of em in spells or at least get hits in spells... and other times I'd catch just stragglers.

I say they school to a degree but not exclusively

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    They only do that in private schools or if they are home schooled:smile2:.j/k

4. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    You'll have to excuse Johnny....He just recieved electricity last year:eek:oooh::tounge_out::smile2: it's been my experience with channels that when i am using punch-bait if i get 1 there will be at least 6 in the same spot & usually more than that. They may not school up tight like the blues will but there closer together than a lot of folks believe. This is just my personal experience with them matter of fact it was that way last week & ol'e Johnny (# 13) was with me & in on the action.:smile2:

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Yes I would have to say they do..I fished a spot last spring and caught 62 fish off of a 20' long rock flat in 3-4hrs,They just cruised back and forth, and I kept recasting ,changeing going back and forth and wore them out..

6. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Yes channels will school. Sometimes in small numbers, sometimes in large numbers. But they do school:wink:.

7. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Fished a clear river for most of my life and I can say the smaller eater size cats usually do school up. I've seen 50-60 in a school. They like to suspend up off the bottom a little too. I find them harder to catch when their like that. The bigger channels are usually tucked up under a log or something or have their head stuck in a stump whan their feeding.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i fished a lot of clearwater streams for channels and saw them schooled up pretty good. in the clearer water, they seem to turn off faster after you catch a few. in muddy water, they don't seem to care.

9. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich

Welcome to the BOC Kyle!

10. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    KYLE,

WELCOME TO THE BOC FROM SO. ALABAMA:big_smile:, HOPE YOU FIND ALL THE INFO YOU NEED IF NOT JUST POST IT AND WATCH THE ANSWER'S START COMEING IN.

GOOD LUCK FISHING:big_smile:

11. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    Have you ever had a good bite and have the cat run a bit, only to find yourself snagged up when you set the hook. I'ts because the fish that picked up your bait is running from the others in the school that are trying to steal it from him...lol! I do think that the bigger ones are more solitairy though.

12. Doneinne

Doneinne New Member

State:
    Fremont, Nebras
    Yes I have seen them schooled up.

13. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    in small lakes with feeders they sure do.They might be all different sizes as well. When we are dropping soybean or milo chum they certainly school up. Channels are like hogs they go where the food is. Inflow,outflow large multiple snags. All of these things cause 'em to school up.

14. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I believe thats right and wondered if thats what was going on here.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzxMJSD4-VU&feature=related

15. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i know for a fact that they school. i watched an in-fisherman dvd based on nithing but channels and blues and they had an underwater camera and there were 50-60 channel cat in a school in a good sized river. ive also caught many at a time at a local sandpit, we sat out there for 45 minutes and caught 29 channel cats. coulda caught more but ran outa bait:embarassed:

16. hopnbrly

hopnbrly New Member

State:
    California
    Im not so sure if it is schooling or if it is just that a good spot draws a bunch of individual fish into a group.Now what I would like to see is a study where you gather a large "school" of fish in a good area and then release them im a area that is not well suited to the cats and see how many of them stay together.

17. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    YES!! Channels do swim in schools... Could be 4 in a group or 14.. I have seen as much as 30 in a gravel pit i fish.. I just find the carp swiming in a school and what for the channels to show up... They always seem to be near each other

18. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    when I've seen them together here in my pond they are feeding in the shallow "cove" area always at night so not sure if thats a "school" or they're just crowdin' the best feeding and chillin' spots. seems I have read a study that they do school on their way to wintering hole's together.??

19. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I to have seen them in schools usually in deeper water say over 5 feet, usually just see solitary ones in shallower water. Usually the ones schooled up are under 10 pounds all the bigger ones i've seen have been by themselves. I've seen this spring winter summer and fall as well so I wouldnt think it would have anything to do with breeding.

20. williambevels

williambevels New Member

State:
    alabama
    yes channels school in the rivers and ponds.
    i can't say were you are at,but here we have two types of pay ponds
    the first you pay so much a day to fish with a 10 fish limit and the second
    you pay by the lb.now most fish farmers feed thier fish,this why a lot of times you may not do as well.(unless you are there when he feeds) if that happens
    fish 1 ft deep no lead and a bobber and use dry dog food or blood bait

tip
    find out if the owner feeds the fish and if he feeds them , what time and were at.when the fish has been fed they slow down.then fish were he feeds at.

another thing when he fertilizes the pond or lake the fish will be real picky.
    if this is the case hunt another fishing hole