Do catfish wash before dinner?!

Discussion in 'Wels Catfishing' started by spanishcatman, Nov 22, 2006.

1. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    Hi everyone - I've been taking a look at your forum and have to say that you seem to have a really friendly community going on! I'm from the UK, but I do most of fishing chasing wels in Spain (barring the odd trip to Romania once in a while!). I've been fishing out there for a number of years now and have always been looking for something different to stick on the hook - especially when fishing around Mequinenza, where a lot of the more territorial fish have seen just about everything!

I have read quite a lot about catching cats on soap. Can anyone shed a little light on this?! Does it really work? And what rigs do you guys use to fish it? I have heard of decent vundu catfish taken from Lake Nasser in Egypt, but this stuff can't really be soap... can it?

Thanks in advance and tight lines to you all!

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hi Mike. Welcome to the BOC. I can't tell you anything about the soap, but just guessing, it would take a lot of soap for the wels...:big_smile:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Why do people pay to go up tall buildings and then put money in binoculars to look at things on the ground?

3. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    Point taken!! Maybe a piece around the size of a couple of house-bricks...! :D But you might be surprised at just how small a bait these guys will go for - especially if you present it extremely close to where the fish is lying and the bait has plenty of attraction. Thanks for your reply!

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

The soap baits are mainly used for trot-lines. They are a "slow bite' bait and need plenty of time in the water to chum out. A couple of brands would be "Zote" and "rednecks". I have tried zote on a line and did catch a catfish after a very long wait. Upside is it is real inexpensive, about 1.00 a bar are 2/1.00 on sale. Good Luck

5. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Hey Mike, Welcome to the BOC. Ive never tried using soap so i cant give you any advice. If you do a search you will find several posts about using soap for bait.:0a25:

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Welcome to the BOC Mike. I can't help ya either just wanted to say welcome.
    Bill

7. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Im not sure if its literally "soap" or not, I thought I remembered hearing about it being made of fat and fatty oils, and compressed "like" soap, thus the name zote soap. Not positive on this though.

8. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    : Lye soap is made out of animal fat and catfish love animal fat. It is also somewhat salty, like a catfishes normal diet, bait fish. All bait fish, animals etc contain levels of salt, and because the catfish bait soap is made from animal fats, it contains salt as well. The animal fat in the catfish bait soap starts to break down when it hits the water and leaves a scent trail in the water, which sends the catfish looking for it. Catfish feed be scent and not sight like other fish, so when the smell hits the water, the catfish come looking for it.

9. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    First of all, Welcome Mike, to the Boc.

We are sure glad to have ya aboard my friend.

Zote soap, as was mentioned in an earlier post, is mainly animal fat. Where I fish at it works really well for catching catfish, but I only use it on my trot lines.

Putting it on a rod & reel here, would be like waiting on another birthday...lol. Zote works well on trot lines, and maybe limb lines, but I have never used them.

This does NOT mean it wouldn't work for you over there. It comes in a big size bar and I cut it up into 3/4" pieces for my trot lines. You, however might try the whole bar with the size hooks you must be using.

As was mentioned the soap leaves a trail that catfish will follow to the bait. I would sure be curious as to whether it would work for you.

Zote soap is a cheap bait and very clean, and yes, you can wash with it too...lol

You might give it a try and see what happens. I'm sure it would at the very least make a good chum.. Good luck my friend..

10. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the welcome folks and thanks for some constructive and helpful information! I'm going to take a look at some of the links you have given me. I reckon there may be something in this 'zote soap' stuff. I can't help but think that a lump of this stuff fished upstream of a sunken tree or two, with the scent drifting thorugh the structure, might persade something to sneak out for a quick snack...

Cheers guys
    Mike

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Well Duh, LOL!!! They live in water so I doubt they get very dirty, LOL!!!

J/K
    Welcome to the BOC Mike!!!
    There is alot of valuable info on here as well as some occasional comic relief, LOL!!!

12. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    As a kid I used to catch bullheads on Ivory soap rigged on a slip sinker. You might take a cue from the carpers and set up a soap chunk on a hair rig - saw up a bar into bitesize cubes and drill a small hole to pass the hair. Don't know if you can get it over there, but Ivory soap floats, and stays up off the bottom to spread the scent. I never tried it in flowing water, only in lakes. It would be neat to see one of your huge wels taken on soap. Send pics.

Dennis

13. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the idea Dennis - don't know what the mouths are like on the cats you get over there (although the flatheads look really similar), but the wels have really tough mouths. This is especially true if the hook hits one of their pads. If the point of the hook is obscured then your chances of a clean hook-up start to plummet. Trouble is, can't imagine what some of my mates are going to say if they see me hair-rigging bits of soap off my boat...

:lol: