Do catfish surface?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Schifty, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Schifty

Schifty New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I had what i thoughtwas a cat on last night but i'm not sure. as soon as i hooked it ,it swam straight up,swirled on the surface and ilost it.iwas fishing from the shore.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

catfish can and do surface from my experience's. I have even had a channel catfish jump out of the water like a bass. I am not sure about flatheads but blue's and channels can and sometimes do.

3. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Yep cats surface all the time around where i fish..seen lot's of big one's too.:smile2:

4. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Why sure cats surface, I 've had them come right up and then take a quick run to the bottom,all you do is try not to "horse" them in and at the same time try to keep your line from slacking when they surface

5. Katphish

Katphish New Member

State:
    tennessee
    hey schifty, im pretty sure that was a cat. what kind im not sure. but since we were usin live gills, im guessin it was a flathead. next time you get out, try that same spot for a while, cause i think that its holdin some nice ones. when you come up in october i want to try fishin in the tusc. down in bolivar. there has been a guy on another site sayin hes been catchin some nice ones around 30 lbs. down that way. :big_smile:

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yes they do surface , i caught a blue cat a few years back it not only surfaced it danced on the top of the water much like a bass would have it was an amazing site to say the least . this 49# blue cat dancing like flipper after it hit the water the fight was over all i did was reel him in .

good luck hope some day you can see the dance of a large cat

7. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    What they said .

8. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Ryan, What You more then likely had was a blue or channel cat. Almost every big blue I have caught has come to the surface at one time or another during the fight. Now flatheads, on the other hand seem to dig for the bottom rarely surfacing on thier own.

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Almost every Big Blue Cat I have caught surfaced. My biggest surfaced as soon as I hooked him, he splased his tail on top and rolled around, they when you get them near the boat they do that deadly (LOL) alligator roll and pop the hook out a lot of times...:eek:oooh:

10. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    Brad Kilpatrick I think you are right if it was a blue at this time of year they surface quick on a blue. but this is prime time for flats and all they do is dig all the way for the bottom.. so i 'm with you i think it was a blue.. the water temps are high and the blues are scattered out and frisky.. thats my guess on it.

11. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What they are doing I'm not sure but many times when bass fishing with big motor shut down I have seen big cats 3 to 4 foot or more just crusing in the bays real slow, just inched from the top. I think I could net one if I was ready when I see them but I never am. This doesn't often but it does happen a few times each year.

12. Katphish

Katphish New Member

State:
    tennessee
    hey schifty, after hearin what these other guys are sayin i bet it was a blue, cause he started rollin and thats when you lost him.

13. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I caught a blue last year that came out of the water like a trout. So your answer is yes. Why would they not?

14. Schifty

Schifty New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    all right,thanks guys

15. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I had a channel cat roll on my fly while fly fishing for gills the other night. He just came up behind it slurping...
    ~ Had me excited, I pulled the fly too soon though.. Too bad.

16. maverick43812

maverick43812 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i can most deffinetly with out a doubt say yes the do surface have lost more cats when they do thou

17. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    In my experience if I hook a fish & it immediately goes to the top fast its usually a gar. However Ive never had a cat come to the top fast unless there is a lot of current.

18. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Pretty much all species will at times surface.

And one thing about catfish, alot of people believe they are caught on the bottom. 75% of ym fish are caught off the bottom.

Of my biggest fish here are the details

32.5# blue 28 foot of water, caught 5 foot under the surface
    28# blue 25 foot of water 15 foot form surface
    24 # blue 24 foot of water 5 foot under the surface
    15# blue 20ish foot of water 15 foot from surface
    11# flathead 18 foot of water 5 foot under the surface

19. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    my dad caught a nice blue cat once on a jitterbug(topwater bait)

20. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    yep, i caught a 5# channel on a bucktail spinnerbait i was buzzing across the surface. was only about 8ft deep, but he came up n hit the spinner.