Do catfish segregate by size?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by dburkhead, Sep 7, 2008.

1. dburkhead

dburkhead New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I mean, if you catch a couple of small channel cats (for instance) in an area of stream/lake, is it likely that there are also big ones nearby or do the small ones tend to hang out in one area and the big ones somewhere else?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I dont know for a fact,But I have noticed that any species tend to school in close size,If I'm catching 2-4 lbrs at first ,Then I usually know thats what I'm going to catch till that school moves out and another one moves in.

3. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    catfish will eat each other if there are alot of little fish there i would imagine that there are no monsters there rite then

4. dburkhead

dburkhead New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks.

At one spot where I fish, I picked up a couple of 6-8" channel cats and was wondering if they might be an indication of a likelihood or unlikelihood of others of "eating size", say 10"-16" 10" because that's the Indiana minimum size limit in streams* and 16 because 16-17" is where the "contamination reports" even for the relatively clean waters where I fish bump the cats out of "category 1 (safest).

* Indiana has what seems to me an odd rule on channel/blue/flathead catfish. In streams, minimum size is 10 but no bag limit, but in lakes/reservoirs, there's no minimum size, but there's a bag limit of 10. And I can never remember which is which in the field, so I figure to just follow both limits--don't keep more than 10 catfish of at least 10".

5. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Iv'e found thru my experiences that most schooling fish tend to be in the general year class . There will be some fish of various sizes mixed in, but the majority of the school will be of the same size

6. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas

Thats usually how it works for me as well.

7. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Good question, Where I fish it seems to be mixed up 6 ld blues and up...:confused2: we seem to catch a lot of diferent sizes in the same area..
    Puddle...