Do catfish peck at your bait?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Chief, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i was wondering lately i been getting alot of bites, but there all just small ones, my rod tip bounces a few times, then a few seconds later it will bounce a little again. then a few more times and thats it, seems most channel cats i catch seem to bite the bait and run with it, and hit pretty hard. i thinking the bites i'm getting arent from catfish. what everyone else think?

2. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Could be gar. If there are a lot of gar in your area then you may have this. Does your bait come back almost stripped everytime? Because the gar with almost always strip your bait or just leave a very little bit on the hook. Dont get me wrong there are many times when cats nibble or short strike, which is when I use stinger hooks to get them, but to me it sounds like you may have a lot of gar in your area?

3. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    either the bait is all gone or its still all there. and yeah theres gar around

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    It could be that do to the overbite of channels they are tryin to pin it to the bottom and get it in thier mouth. Try a pin float on the leader to keep the bait susspended it will help.

5. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Little channels and dog gone turtles. :)

6. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    There are times that they bite finicky. Try resulting to circle hooks and smaller bait some times. Also there has been times that I have used trebles as well but not often. But also it can be gar, baitfish, or even small carp.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I vote for small channel cats, I had this going on this year and then put on a bluegill sized hook, and started catching channel cats 6 inches long.

8. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    I have that problem with circle hooks sometimes so when that happens I put on a J hook and set the hook.

9. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Last weekend i ran out of chicken liver and blood dough. They were really biting it and taking it in the first few minutes of each cast. But then i had to open a bag of crawfish and chicken blood dough, and they were just nibbling it. I saw my rode move a lot, but i had a circle hook on so if they bite, they go. But i just got little bites but no more chomping on it. I think it could be the bait.

10. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    In the pond i fish when that happens ussualy its just large bluegill.

11. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    My vote is for blue gill. As mentioned before, gar will do this & so will drum.

Eric

12. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Chief

Its a little cold yet to be Flatheads I bet.

I've seen a few Channels due that while fishing for the Flatheads on cut bait. Where I fish the Ohio River 80% of the Flatheads I get are on that pecking/lite-bite. Only about 3% are Channels and from what I've seen they are a bit more agressive then the Flatheads when in that mode. The Flatheads are not small either.

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yup! thats exactly what it is. a #8 or #10 circle hook and a pinch of shad will tell you what they are. as the old saying goes "when the cats away the mice will play", when those little runts are out and about, nothing much else is.

14. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have noticed flatheads "pecking" at the bait before.on more than one ocassion i have gotten over anxious and realed my bait in to find all or most of the scales gone from my pearch. this has always fascinated me. i am convinced that atleast some flatheads kill and scale bait fish before they ingest them.

15. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Catfish will bump and peack at the bait when they are trying to detremin if it's a food source or not.

Another thing that could also be happening is you may have your bait all the way on bottom this causing the catfish to almost stand on it's head to get your bait. cause from one catfish to the other each have a over bite on the top or bottom lip. a over bite is when one lip sticks out more then the other one. they could be trying to pick your bait up but before they can they geting a mouth full of whats on the bottom causing them to have to drop it.

To fix that trouble bring that bait off the bottom a foot to a foot and a half. then all they have to do is swim into it and suck it in. this helps them hold it longer also giving you the chance at a better hook set. i hope this is to some help.

16. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Guys

I've caught over 50 Flatheads in the last two years when they were pecking, in the "lite-bite" mode on the cut bait. They averaged about 15 lbs with the biggest at 39#s.

Its real real simple with the right rigs. No reason to get upset when you only get a few out of all the bites. Heres my secret and one has to be ready with the pole in hand. WHEN THEY PULL YOU PULL!!!!! It may only feel like a bump, a slite touch, etc., etc. but its a pull and it maybe the only chance you have. I'm real dang proud to have a hook-up ratio of about 10% but 50 Flatheads is better then none. None would pick up the bait and run when in this mode!!!!!!!

Yes the Channels will do this to but they are alot more aggressive from what I've seen.

I've seen two Flatheads just sit on the bait with it in their mouths for over 20 min. each. It looked like the may have been some grass on my line in the current and NO SIGN OF A BITE"!! The first one fooled me, the second one almost did and it was 22#S.

17. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    fished the same place lastnight and finally caught a nice 5-6lb channel cat. he didnt really mess around too much with the bait, and it was the only pole i had out that had a float on my leader so i will consider it standard on all my rigs.

18. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Sometimes if you move the bait a few inch's they will go ahead and it it harder.

19. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27: with katfshn50,

At this time of the year (winter) I have this problem, the water is still a little cold. All fish peck will at your bait at times, but when the water warms-up a-bit, all that will stop - the fish will hit your bait alot harder. Sometimes I fine myself adding a small float to my leader also to susspended my bait as well. :)

Good luck with that, :cross:
    Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

20. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    It depends on your bait. Softer and smaller baits may be getting pecked at by perch or small catfish or bream. If you are using large cut baits then you probably have small cats pecking.