Do catfish like rain?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by yownee, Sep 22, 2007.

1. yownee

yownee New Member

State:
    california
    So, after days of anticipation of catching fish, i finally got to go out and fish today morning. I woke up at 4:30 AM, packed my lunch, bait, drinks, and an extra pack of cigerrettes and drove to the lake near my house. At first the weather was nice. Calm winds and placid water, it was a beautiful sight. Many of you guys know what im describing. The undisturbed lake where your the only one at the lake enjoying nature.

But than the clouds started rolling in and the wind started picking up and it began to drizzle. The rain was on and off, but i called it quits around 1o. Can anyone tell me if Catfish likes this kind of weather or not? Because i had zilch bites.

- Andrew

2. LandsCats

LandsCats New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I think it had more to do with the pressure then the rain. Fish can't tell if its raining. Was there lighting or thunder involved. Got to be the pressure that turned the fish off. Hope that helps you out.

3. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I think the fish dont care,there wet anyway. but I hate fishing in a down pour.

4. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Rain bothers me more than it does the fish. Lightning, however, makes both of us look for cover.

5. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i feel that just before a storm, and just after is best time to fish. this is when the barametric pressure is either dropping or rising. my best fishing has come at those time it seems like.
    when it rains, time to head home and grab a book.
    gary

6. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I agree I have tried fishing in the rain before but I usually chicken out and pack it up. My last attempt was maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago me and a buddy stood out there for about an hour and a half before I had enough.....:ah: My personal best channel cat however was caught during a slight sprinkle but i am not sure if that had anything to do with it or was it just luck

7. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I catch 'em in the rain. But I don't catch 'em on graphite rods. A buddy sent me an e-mail of what was left of a guy playing golf with graphite clubs. The lightening literally went around the tree he was under and cracked him. Wasn't much left. Same thing can happen with graphite rods, so be careful.

8. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Was fishing with a fellow BOCer at a local get together a few weeks back. Arrived at the ramp with the rain coming down, after eating some lunch and everyone getting to know each other we decided at the first break in the rain to hit the river. Can't say it was the best day for everyone, but there were a few nice fish caught. After being on the water for about 2 hours it started to come down in sheets...we were getting drenched, but during this down pour we put a 21lbs. blue in our boat and shortly after that (while still raining) I lost a fish at the boat that was easily in the 60-70lbs. range. When we ended our outing and arrived back at the dock we found out that 2 other boats had been skunked and that the other boat out had ended up with a 44lbs. as well as a 72lbs. blue in the boat.....So, my vote is fish when it's raining, the fish don't care they are all ready wet! Now like the others if the lighting starts crackling through the sky I head for the ramp and get off the water.

9. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Years ago (at the company fishing tournament) a storm chased a bunch of us back on the trailers. Two guys were standing close to a tin boat when lightning hit close. It knocked them flat. The brain damage must have helped their careers, because both of them became supervisors!

10. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    If your fishing in a river or lake and it rains it is one of the best times to catch in my opinion. If it's raining the cats will swim and move from there holding areas to eat there fill of fish and what not. I'd fish the area where the creak or stream flows into the lake after a good rain. That's some free meals for the fish. Same with the creek id fish the dam where the water dumps in there are lots of groundup baitfish and other good eating food for those cats. Either that or I'd hit up a feeder stream. Anyways that's my opinion.

Tom

11. cj7848

cj7848 New Member

State:
    texas
    I like fishing in the rain but not in a storm.

12. JReed

JReed New Member

State:
    Lima, Ohio
    I like to be out there before a storm comes in.

13. Rhinocat

Rhinocat New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I've caught plenty of fish in the rain.. had major downpours and being in a boat only thing besides being wet (which doen't bother a die hard cat man..lol) was all the water in the boat..

just runner hard and pull the plug..

14. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    If it starts raining and I don't want to call it quits, I go to a feeder creek. The fresh water brings in a concentrated amount of oxygen and also small grains and insects for fish to feed on. This usually brings in the cats. Some of the best times fishing has been during the beginning of a rain.

15. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I've had really good luck with channes in the rain.

16. Rhinocat

Rhinocat New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    they love rain.. brings down fresh meal for them off the banks..

17. catfishcalhoun

catfishcalhoun New Member

State:
    indiana
    i prefer to go out when i know that their are fronts coming ,trying to take advantage of pressure changes, and have just a little luck but when it starts to rain i have had my polls go crazy , many times setting the hook on one only to look over and have the other one starting to run , it gets crazy thats when you stick the first one between your leggs and set the hook on the second then try to decide which is bigger and get it to the boat first.
    usaualy when i know that the rain is coming i will leave one poll out with a float over the weed beda and the oter two i will take everything off but a relativley small hook load it with a fat night crawler to give it enoughf weight to cast it up under the over hanging trees close to the bank and just let it fall alot of the time it will take off before it hit the bottom if not i only let it sit for a few moments if no action i cast it back under working the area under the trees .this also works when not raining but not with as good as results

18. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    One of our fellow "departed BOC members".....Brian of "Blue fame" has often posted that when it is going to rain that it is best to get out to "San Vee" and get some "mackeral head" down deep to catch some monster blues....He would make the 1 1/2 drive to San Diego in pursuit of record fish..... and did it....

bayrunner ray

19. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I've heard that a good rain after a long dry spell really makes the fish active. The reasoning behind it was that the rain actually aerate's the river along with making it rise.

20. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have had great success in the rain I just don't like the lighting, if theres lighting I outa there