Do Catfish Hybridize?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by floundahman, Dec 3, 2009.

1. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I was wondering if catfish species ever cross-breed? I've caught hybrid trout, bass and sunfish; but I've never heard of a hybrid catfish. I would think in lakes that are stocked with an abundance of whites, they would at some time breed with channels. Does anyone know of a hybrid catfish?

2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    not sure if they do it in the wild, but i know for a fact over at Msu reseach station in nappanee mississippi they got hybrids there. thats part of their reasearch.

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    The mad scientist in me would love to add some Wels or Mekong genes to the Blue and Flathead population to make them even bigger.:roll_eyes:

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yes but not often, look at the blue channel im holding in my picters i did not know

5. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Rarely..And only between the blues and channels..The ones I have seen came from a catfish farm and were called "bull channels"..They looked like a blue..They grow fast and grow bigger than a channel cat..

6. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i couldnt remember what they were called until you posted, for the life of me. you right, i seen um over in Mississippi. they breed them across the way from the farm i get my prawns from. got fat heads, slinder body.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Flats will not interbreed with blues and channels, but blues and channels do do it with each other with the help of scientist.

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    and lube

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    U R A NUT Mr Prez! :crazy::eek:oooh::crazy:

BB in SC

10. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    forget mixing them in with what we got, just introduce the full blooded version if you ask me...:wink: (i know this will start some sort of comment on invasive species, its just a joke, or is it)

at one point around the civil war, they used to bring catfish to market around 300-400 lbs. if people would CPR more, it could happen again. I've seen this in an article one of us posted on the BOC before, but it was a long time ago. if i find a link ill post it...

11. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    oh me oh my my lake is over crowded with 125 lb wels catfish! woe is me:eek:oooh::sad2:

bring em on! SHEFFEY FOR DNR PREZ!

12. slojam

slojam New Member

State:
    scarolina
    that was gonna be my next question...under natural conditions or artificial like stripers+whites=hybrids...?(and are they sterile for the most part?)bluegills&redbreast hybridize in the wild,i'm told but offspring are mostley sterile...(then redeye&spotted bass,smallmouth a different story?) :confused2:

13. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yes hybrid cats are sterile,although they will go into a spawning pattern..They try to spawn but they do not produce any fry..

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Panfish like green sunnies, bluegills, and pumpkinseeds are like humans, can interbreed with other races.

Everything else like wipers, tiger trout, and tiger musky are done by scientist.:cool2:

15. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    and a dirty fish magazine and a lab dish

16. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    Some of the cats I've caught at Belew's look like a cross between Blue's and Channel.

17. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Gotta get you a bigger one for your avatar Hollis.Your in the catfish catalog.Get the NC boys to hook you up with some of them big boys ya got down there.:wink:

18. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
  19. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Kat
    Yankin'
    Jelly.. LOL!!

20. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    I agree. Looking for them monsters all the time. Get those Flyers back on track up there " Broad Street Bullies " :big_smile: NHL