Do catfish hang out in the same spots as carp?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JHalden, Mar 10, 2009.

1. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    Hey everyone i fish on the american river in california and i was fishin earlier with some shrimp. I felt a hit and my pole went down and i reeled in my first carp (of all things), but i wasn't too happy when I found out I had snagged him. So I made up some peanut butter doughballs and I figured ide put a lil ball around a tiny treble like i was fishin some powerbait or somethin. I got distracted though the real question here is do catfish hang out in the same spots as carp? Ive caught steelhead in this spot, and as of toady carp. I'm not too sure of the depth of the water but it seems like there are some deep holes i dont know how deep though. 3oz sinker seemed a bit heavy but thats what i got the trout of which is weird, and the carp i got on a pencil led tryin to get a trout haha. I'm real eager to get on some cats ide appreciate any info thanks!

2. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte

3. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have no idea about the area that you are fishing but have seen carp and cats in the same areas on the Mississippi River in deep holes in the winter months. The only carp that I see in local lakes are very shallow and have caught cats there in the spring while watching the carp roll on top. Good luck.

4. 10POUNDER

10POUNDER New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree 100 % I have caught a carp and catfish on chicken liver back to back ....Same night same spot ! It was a little weird , I dont know what could atract these two species to the same area but Yes its possible to catch a carp then on the next cast catch a catfish ! I am living proof of this ! Ha HA Hope I am of any help !:smile2: Good Luck on your cat hunt !:cool2:

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Many times I have caught carp and cats on the same outing. That is one of the reasons I enjoy fishing the river system, ya never know if you are catching cats or bait till ya get it to the bank.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    yes they feed in the same areas sometimes. order yourself some "danny kings" punch bait blood flavor. the carp shouldnt bother you then, the trout still mite though!lol

very nice rainbow/steeelhead in your profile by the way!

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yep and carp make great bait for cats probally why you catch them together :wink:

8. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    Thank you all for the help! I'd like to hear more about using carp as catfish bait, this is very interesting. Do you cut some pieces off or what? I've never cut a carp open, is it pretty hard considering they are bony? Also when bait fishing for carp or catfish in a soft current do you want your bait to drift slow or sit on the bottom?

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I would imagine it all depends on size ,i dont think it would be wise for say a smaller carp to hang around a larger cat, cause he might end up a snack.But yeah ive seen them together in the same area.

10. 10POUNDER

10POUNDER New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I really don't use Carp very often for catfish bait ! But when I have, I have used chunks of carp (no scales) Or if the carp is small enough -1pound , I have used the whole thing or just the head ! I always let my bait sit on the bottom , I never have had any luck using the drift method but thats just me! :cool2:

11. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I have seen them together in shallow waters , not sure about the deep holes .
    Mostly seen them together with channels .

12. Mrquickset

Mrquickset New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I too have also caught carp and catfish on the same rig...especially when I use crawlers. They do spend time together in the same areas. I think the biggest trigger of the co-habitation of these two is largely due to the spawn and the instinctual triggers of the two species which force them to move into shallow areas to spawn.

With that said...big flatheads will eat whole, live carp. A 12inch carp would be an easy meal for a 25lb flathead . The Big MO is the river I fish and it has potiential to produce monster flatheads and has a good population of carp. It's fun to imagine an 80 or 90 pound flathead feeding on large carp or other fish like a bass, (my apologies to all of you bass fishermen out there :)

I personally have never caught anything on cut carp. But, I think there are those that have used cut carp successfully.

My suggestion for you would be to throw live bait for cats around the carp...something like a big green sunfish or big chub on a #8 octopus. Flatheads, channels, and blues will bite these two baits...never caught a carp on a greenie.

Good luck to ya!

13. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Justin let me welcome you to the BOC:wink: The Americian river what part you fish? I am coming up that way this weekend for some sturgeon fishing. Where you call home?

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yea i use carp as cut bait, id love to get some smaller ones to use whole but for some reason i cant seem to find any:confused2:. carp meat is pretty tough you can catch a few cats of one chunk of carp because it just wont come off the hook. its super bloody and you can get as big of piece of bait you want. i perfer for my bait to stay put to keep from getting snagged. when i first started fishing rivers i thought carp were a newsence fish that put up a great fight, if i only new then what they really were BAIT.

15. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    yeah, have to agree with the rest. have caught both regularly. A lot of times I'll just load up a rod or 2 with some bloilies or doughballs while fishing for cats. Always enjoy fishing for carp, Got to be one of the better fighting fish and fun to catch.

16. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    Ya carp are a lot of fun to fight, it was weird yesterday I had my peanutbutter and vanilla doughball sittin on the bottom with the two ounce, it was sittin in one spot for a while so i unsnagged it and let it drift down a bit and once it sat i just held on to the rod. I noticed a carp come to the surface not to far out and then pretty soon after that i felt a hard hit and i set. I fought him for a big but it popped off, I was using a really tiny trebble. I walked down the river a bit and spotted some fairly large carp in a shallow outlet, i was up on a cliff so casting quietly was kinda hard with my 1 oz. I saw the carp move closer to my bait but then nothing they just kinda sat there.

Then when I got back to my jeep I found a 50 dollar ticket for being 30 cents short on my parking pass (that made me real happy). So even though I was glad to see the dough worked I had a pretty lousy day at the river. Oh and for the guy who was wonderin I mostly fish in the basin of the dam and downriver from there but not too far just a ways past the hatchery. I'de like to go further down more often but it is not very convinient.

17. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Although everyone has their ways to do it..... For carp I will go with a small hook and one or two splitshots about 24 inches from the hook. I give them some slack so the dont feel much resistance when they bite. Sometimes they just nibble on it and sometimes they try to jerk the rod in the water. You just never know. lol