Do Catfish eat in the same area?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Malichi1970, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I was out fishing last week and seen a big Cat (or at least the back of it anyway) I was fishing on the Meramec between 2 sunken logs about 20 feet apart. There were alot of smaller fish (Bluegill or crappie, etc.) in the area when I looked at the one log and seen this huge fin come up out of the water. The water was only maybe 18 inches deeo in that area, but before I could get over there it swam off.

My question is do Cats usually hunt the same areas for food? Should I go back to that spot and look for that hog again?

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    If there is food that is still there he might be feeding there. I'd say its worth a shot. If you don't try you won't know thats for sure.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Not sure about that,but I'd definitely be heading back and trying out that spot some more.Good Luck!!!

4. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I think it would depend on the time of year. If the fish are on the move, then it may be a wanderer scouring for food. In that case, it would be a good spot, as other fish may check the same location. If the fish have already returned to their holes, then you have a good chance on catching that same fish who has probably swam up from a nearby structure or hole to feed. In either case, I would try fishing that area.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I think fish frequent the same areas at different times of the year following food. If you can figure out the bait fish pattern you can usually find the fish in a lake. It may br a little different in a river buy I believe if you can find food and habitat you can find kitty's and other game fish.

6. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Thanks, I think I'll head down to the pond this weekend and catch a few Blue Gills and then head over there at night see if anythings biting.

7. Fastman

Fastman New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    I read in one of the magazines that flatheads DO seem to roam the same areas. They are territorial and remain in the area as their home. The article showed some bioligist tagged some flatheads with radios and tracked their movement throught the day for several months. They acted like those flatheads seemed to stay within several hundred yards for a given season. Then they migrate to a different area for the next season.
    I will see if I can dig that article up for you to give you better numbers.

8. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    "I read in one of the magazines that flatheads DO seem to roam the same areas"

yeah flatheads are a more solitary, teritorial breed of cat, so chances are hes still in that area. i dont think it would have been a blue, ive only seen the occasional small rogue blues come out of the meramec, its definitely flathead country.(shallow slow moving waters) what i would do is fish every bit of structure around. hit the first couple deep holes in succession up and down straem and then start woking the shallower wood cover. it depends on where your at on the river, if your river is moderately deep(for the meramec 7-8 ft) just hit all of the nastiest snags you can. there are some big fish in the meramec but trying to keep gar away from your bait is pretty bad, its gonna cause alot of lost bait and alot of disturbance in the water when yo hook one so the odds of actually catching your target go down. if the gar werent so thick id fish ther more than i do. do you have poblems with them where you are?

9. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    I know for that they will hunt the same area for short periods of time, last month I was fishing with my uncle at about 9pm i hooked up with a big fish i fought for 5+ min before it broke off at the hook about 3:30 am or 6 1/2 hr later my uncle hooked a 47 lb flat,after landing the fish we looked in side its mouth and found my hook with a peice of the knot still hanging on to the hook. we were fish the lower colorado river and our baits were maybe 20' from each other

10. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Since it wasn't very long ago that you saw this fish, I would suspect it is still in the area and if it doesn't live among those logs, it does roam through there looking for food.

Especially with that kind of cover, I would expect it to return. Or else get chased out by a larger fish.

Don't wait too long though. If the weather changes too much it may move somewhere else.

11. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    steady area of food cats keep returning to feed like fast food for us

12. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    It is probably a flathead. along with what has already been said, id use one of those live crappie or decent sized bluegills fresh out of that area as bait also since that is probably what it is preying on.

13. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    "id use one of those live crappie or decent sized bluegills fresh out of that area "

whoa there matt, youre going to get this guy in trouble. lol

michael, just incase you were not aware crappie is illegal to use as bait in mo. matts, an okie boy so he didnt know.

matt well let that slide this time buddy!! lol :big_smile: :big_smile:

14. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I would think they do if there is food in the area all the time why not go where u no ur gonna eat everytime

15. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    They follow the food so if the food source is still there and it wasn't that long ago I would keep on fishin it and see what you come up with. Good luck

16. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    I’ve seen channels while feeding with their backs out of the water and it’s an awesome sight. One of the many perks we’re blessed with for being outdoors and on the water. Shallow water has been loaded with baitfish, the time period you saw the fish is post spawn when they’re feeding heavy. Follow the food, if the baitfish are still there so will the fish. I’ve caught many of channels on live bluegills and their larger fish. Enjoy the water and the perks that come along, good luck

17. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have seen a flathead in the shallows doing a search pattern like a sub. Back and forth and each time just alittle bit over to the deeper water. It was an awesome sight.

Dave