Do catfish drop trebles more often?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Apr 28, 2007.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    well i was wondering if cats drop the bait (in my case liver) more often then a single hook cause of the frame like structure

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont think they would drop the bait more.

3. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i thought that they would feel the triangle shape and mightspit it out :0a30:

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the only time i use trebles are for doughbaits, dipbaits. i use a small circle hook when fishing liver. seems to work out alright. i don't prefer trebles and don't recomend using them if you don't have to. but thats my opinion.

5. Joe Car

Joe Car New Member

State:
    Mo.
    I have allot of luck using trebles on Channel cats. They usually hook themselves in the mouth or swallow it in most cases. Have allot on stand by because they will damage them. I use 4/0 eagle claw trebles and they work good for liver, hot dogs , shrimp, stink bait.
    The bad thing I discovered is the bigger fish can break them if your drag is not set well. Esp. if your using a small one like a 4/0. I need to find some stronger ones.
    I just purchased some cirlce hooks that I have not had a bite on yet. I still testing them on channels.

good luck
    Joe Car

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I don't think using a treble would result in fewer bites. In fact, I believe trebles work too well in "sticking" the fish. I will use trebles on dip worms and dough baits, but only when fishing for smaller keepers. I use single hooks 99% of the time because it makes the hooks easier to remove and causes less trauma for the fish.

7. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Unless I am fishing with live bait or cut bait I use trebles and have good luck with them. I use them for dip bait, dough bait, and chicken livers with no problems.

8. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Joe,

I was having the same problem as you about 5 years ago, but now I use these hooks (in the "4X Nickel Silver Black") & I haven't had that problem since:
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&parentId=cat20291&id=0030844

:0a26:

That it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

9. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    usually i use a 2/0 baitholder and wrap some string on the liver to keep it on

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Fish go after the smell of food. They pay little to no attention to the hook. Use the hook that works best for the type of bait you use. I like to cure the liver with salt and garlic salt for a few days then take the treble hook and thread the liver over the shaft of the hook. I use a snap swivel to attach hook to main line. Several hooks can be baited in advance then just snap on.:lol: :smile2:

11. SunburntAgain

SunburntAgain New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    If you have the rod in your hands and are fast on the strike, trebles will work like magic (or else you'll gut hook them). Trebles are overkill in my opinion though. I have a good hook-up ratio using khale hooks, and alot of those fish are hooked before I can even get the rod out of the holder. And if you happen to have the rod in your hands, they still work very well when setting the hook yourself.

12. few

few New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    i use trebble hooks for dough bait and circle for everything else, i can say as i have lost a fish due to the use of trebble hooks.