Do catfish dispise SPAM as much as I do?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Blind In Texas, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Blind In Texas

Blind In Texas New Member

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    And I'm not talking about my inbox. I hate SPAM in a can, but, do the catfish? I saw this on another thread and thought it warranted a post of it's own.

I was told a good while back to keep a can of SPAM in my truck as back-up bait. The bonus is that the canned bait is safe, edible and somewhat tasty. Threadfins on the other hand do not hold a place on my "I'm starving to death I must eat or perish" menu.

2. festus

festus New Member

My uncle used to go to Canada on "Fly In, Canoe Out" fishing trips with guides. He says the service provided plenty of canned spam in case the fishing wasn't so good as a back up food. They usually fished for pike, perch, and other species. They always used the Spam as channel catfish bait in the evenings. He said very few people fished for catfish. They would put a piece of Spam on a hook about the size of a sugar cube and catch plenty of channels. I'm sure it would work elsewhere.

3. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    I have used spam and treat both to catch channels in ponds.

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i have caught blues, channels and flats on spam over the years, but mostly channels. however i have tried spam lite and treat, and just plan old spam seems to work the best. none of the fish i have caught were much bigger than a few pounds, but we did catch them.

5. festus

festus New Member

Spam ain't bad if it's sliced very thin and fried, then put onto a sandwich with toasted light bread, lettuce, tomatoes, and mayonaisse. Noticed I said thinly sliced. That way you really don't get enough taste. The School Lunch Program used to furnish some type of Spam-like meat in a big loaf can. I forgot the name of it, it was something like Process Pork Product. They used to serve it to us in elementary school, then it seemed to vanish. And the U.S. Gov't used to give the stuff away in commodities.

Ha ha, speaking of commodities, back when these were first distributed, can't remember if it was during Franklin D. Roosevelt's administration, the gov't used to distribute grapefrut. Country people had no idea what grapefruit was, and they thought it was supposed to be cooked like everything else, either fried in lard or pork fat. I reckon it was so bad the welfare recipients wouldn't even bother to pick it up.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  6. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    I love Spam!! That Big O'Chunk of jelly coated goodnes

7. festus

festus New Member

They had a Spam eating contest in Knoxville one time for ca$h, and no one bothered to show up.:lying:

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i like it fried on white toast with mayo and mustard, maybe some lettuce... but if you eat very much you will be sick...

9. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Its a main staple in the Hawaiian Islands and sold by the mountains in the grocery stores. It can even be bought on the menu at McDonalds as a breakfast item. I thought I would fall out the first time I saw spam egg and rice on the menu. After some research found out it was actually a carry over from US govt. commodities as mentioned earlier that caught on with the locals.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have caught channels on spam in the past. As I was reading this thread I was wondering what would be the results of using spam/treat with the Dead Red Bait enhancer, from Team Catfish. Should work well.

11. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    Now that's an idea I can get behind! Gotta love kitchen pantry baits! Think I have a can of corned beef I need to use. Wonder if the cats will eat that too?

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'd rather fry a thick slice add miricle whip,on toast,with a thick slice of onion,tomato and colby cheese . Then you could dice it up with the ingrediants of your choice and make a breakfast omelette.
    as far as bait?? might just work,but thats a waste of great food to me.

13. weinerdog

weinerdog Member

State:
    Florida
    I've caught catfish in my pond with spam but nothing at all in the river.

I think catfish are like people, if they're REEEEALY hungry they'll eat it, but if something else is available it's going to sit on the shelf!

(Catfish seem to be very picky in Florida rivers though. They don't even like liver that much. Cut bait like bream works best unless you can get a pickerel. Slices of pickerel fillets...........Magic!)

14. weinerdog

weinerdog Member

State:
    Florida
    Cut bait on toast however, not so good............

15. Blind In Texas

Blind In Texas New Member

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    Thanks everyone for their input. I like to eat the fish I catch so low pounders would be just fine. At this point, any size fish would be fine if only just for the catching. My dad-in-law likes the Spamwich thing. Next time I take him fishing, I think I'll bring spam for all of us ;)

Since the various flesh products I have used don't seem to work, I believe a can o' spam is in order. If it will catch the eaters then I will be happy with that.

Tightlines!!

16. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,m with you on this one Richard.I love spam!Fish will have to fight me for some of my spam.Was poor growing up,Mom used to cook up the spam with some cloves stuck in it,like a little ham.Man,this is making me hungry,gonna have to fry up a nice Spam sandwich!:starving:

17. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I have to agree. Add a little hot peppersto the omelette and you are ready to go. Where I grew up Spam was a treat.

18. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    223reload for president...now this man know some good fixins!!! Geez, now I'm gettin hungry...

19. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    spam isn't all that bad , i grew up eating the stuff , we weren't rich lol ..i like it with bbq sauce ...i dont eat it that often anymore but at times yeah its pretty good...i never tried it for cats...one more thing on my list to try now

20. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am not a big fan of the spam either. I keep jerky around the truck/boat for the reasons that you all are talking about. If I am starving I will eat it and if I got no bait the fish will bite it. I have only caught a few decent channels on this bait. It is not worth it to me. I like my jerky. In case of emergencies I always keep the # of the local pizza place and the old lady in case I am starving. I will starve and not catch any fish before I will go to the spam. What is Spam anyways?