Do canned sardines work for catfish bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by kyledbarnes, Nov 16, 2008.

1. kyledbarnes

kyledbarnes New Member

State:
    south carolina
    anybody tried this, if so, does it work good, it would be good for me, not having to catch bait, just stop by the grocery store, pretty cheap too

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have never tried this bait, but I have read about others that have. I don't really know the results, but someone will chime in. Good luck fishing

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I would think that canned sardines would be awful hard to keep on a hook? Sure are good on crackers though :big_smile:

4. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    I agree they would never stay on the hook, but on a cracker with some pepper sauce they would catch me! Probably cheaper to buy fresh or frozen anyway.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    they dont work well by themselves because as others have said they wont stay on the hook,but mixed with other bait,or a home made bait mixed with it works pretty well.

6. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    I use the juice from sardines to soak cheap hot dog peices for catfish bait.

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

They mix in very well in a dough bait........

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have never used it but I may give it a try:smile2:

9. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Under the right conditions, I think catfish will bite almost anything. I have taken a can of sardines and poured them in with some fresh shad and froze them. I don't know if it made any difference or not, but i'd like to think that I provided a little extra scent to the shad.

Anything will work once.... quality baits will work consistently.

10. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    the sardines in oil work great we have used them and caught many fish . what we did was put them in 2x2 medical gauze squares after you unfold the medical gauze it will be a thin 4x4 fill with sardines and tie the corners together . we also put tuna out of the can in panty hose so i would think sardines in panty hose would work . That is when we was messing with different baits . now i only use genos, sonnies , shad , and gill.

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Yeah they sure do especally the oil from it.Spices it up real nice.

12. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    They work real on a cracker with a Bud

13. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Right on Harold, that's the way I like em; I also like limburger w/onion on a cracker, and a beer..........

Limburger cheese, now that would be some expensive bait.

14. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ……….EGAD!!!! I got to thinking about Limburger cheese, and did a little research; no wonder it smells like dirty socks!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limburger_cheese

“…….Limburger is especially known for its pungent odor. The bacterium used to ferment Limburger cheese and other rind-washed cheeses is Brevibacterium linens; this same bacterium is found on human skin and is partially responsible for human body odor……. In 2006 a study showing that the malaria mosquito (Anopheles gambiae) is attracted equally to the smell of Limburger cheese and to the smell of human feet…”

Oh well, I’ll still eat it on occasion.

15. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Actually they do, i made a nice dough bait with canned sardines, some old offbrand velveeta type cheese and some garlic powder.

Basically i took 4 cans of regular sardines in oil, drained off the oil and tossed them into a mixing bowl.

Got me some flour.

Started mixing the sardines with the half block of cheese in the bowl till i got a mushy awful smellin paste then started mixing in the garlic powder and flour till i was satisfied, also i added some of the fish oil from the can because it got too dry. Its sorta a do it by eye type of job.

After that i put it in the bed of the truck to use the next morning, it was about 70 when i hit the water with an overcast and expecting some rain. Caught 6 nice little eater channels in 2 hours and lots of good runs and tugs on the lines...

16. jrack1

jrack1 New Member

State:
    mo.
    sardines in oil , put them in a bull-drum sack add a sinker and tie on line about a foot from your bait works great.

17. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I make limburger and cat tails bait every once in awhile . I pick it up for 3.99 a pound in St.Louis at Soulard Market

18. catmancarr

catmancarr New Member

State:
    ky
    fish on treble hook or in a stocking

19. bigkatking

bigkatking Member

State:
    ky
    i grind them up real fine in a blender freeze them then cut in bait size peices
    they will stay on the hook but you have to rebait often this also makes
    good chum bait

20. surfcat

surfcat Well-Known Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    I would eat them on some crackers. Great snack.