Do Boaters..snag your fishin line?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by LadyValea1, Nov 27, 2006.

1. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Just wonderin.... I bank fish a lot on a dock...sometimes boater are coming in a little to close to my line. I usually reel the line in, so they don't take my line. Many boaters are nice and ask if they are near my line. But I get a lot of nasty boaters who just cross my line, maybe thinkin my line can't go out 50 feet ...I don't know!!
    yesterday, my line got caught up in a guys props!! I think he was a little angry.

what is the fishin manners on fishin line and boaters??

2. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    just wonderin about other stories of rude boaters or fisherpeople...

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

That one guy should have been mad at himself, I dislike anyone who thinks they own the water, unless they own all the land around it. As for getting snagged I have been before. That line can tear up seals on their motor so he may have been mad at himself

4. nathan8372

nathan8372 New Member

State:
    South Texas
    Hello I am from Texas also and there are certain laws that boaters MUST follow or the Texas Parks & Wildlife can get on to them.

First of all, are you fishing in a residential area? If so then boaters are supposed to create a 'no wake zone' while passing through.

Secondly, are there buoys near your fishing location? If so then the boats are legally required to observe others in the area AND create a 'no wake zone'.

Unfortunately, there is no law restricting a boat from traveling too close to your fishing line. There are too many variables; logs, water depth, GPS tracks, underwater obstructions and other boats to aviod. But technically, YES, boats are supposed to AVIOD obstructions like fishing lines, logs, swimmers and other things as well.

It upsets me too if a boat or jet-ski get's too close to my dock or fishing line, but all you can do is grin and bear it!

~Nathan

5. nathan8372

nathan8372 New Member

State:
    South Texas
    In Texas it is UNLAWFUL for BOATERS to:

Operate in a circular course around fishermen or swimmers.

1. Operate within an area designated as bathing, fishing, swimming, or otherwise restricted.
    From the Texas Parks & Wildlife Web Site
    Nathan

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Generally, if fishing from a boat dock at a launch ramp, the boater has what may be called the right of way. The docks are usually there to assist the boater in loading and unloading, as well as to allow passengers to get in and out of the boat. At any dock used by boats to tie up, I thing the boater has rights over the fisherman. That said, its always good for the boater to pay attention to the fact that someone is fishing on the dock and try to steer clear of the lines if possible. If its not possible, then asking the fisherman to reel in his lines until docked is good courtesy.

Rudeness goes both ways. I've seen people set up lawn chairs at the boat ramp and fish the ramp, refusing to move is a boat comes in to load, or if someone wants to launch. It can lead to nasty confrontations. I've seen and had boaters purposely try to ruin fishing for bank and pier fishermen, but I've also seen bank fishermen casting at boats traveling below wake speed with the intent of hitting one. There are, though, three classes of boaters that seem to have no regard for fishermen, whether on the bank, dock, or in a boat. Those are ski boats, jet skis, and bass fishermen. I'll admit there are some nice bass fishermen, like the one that retrieved my kayak paddle after it got away while I was busy untangling a line. But, when you put 200+ horses on the back of a boat, something seems to happen to their minds.

7. nathan8372

nathan8372 New Member

State:
    South Texas
    Correct Gadzooks, but I dont know if she is fishing off a publice dock, more than likely she isn't.

I have thrown my line at a few jet-skiiers in my time, thats because they dont even acknowledge you when you make some sort of a signal, like I said, it's common courtsey.

NAthan

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if i can snag you with a big trebble hook and a 3oz, then you were too close!:angry:

9. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I'm fishin in a public area...

10. nathan8372

nathan8372 New Member

State:
    South Texas
    Are you on a boat ramp, public dock or where. Also, are there any buoys around that say 'no wake'?

11. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Its a public dock and the boat ramp is about 10 feet away...no bouys around ....I guess , I'll just reel my line in each time a boater comes near since it sounds like the boater has the right of way..

12. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    The question is, would you rather be legally right or have an enjoyable time fishing? My wife is a Dr. Phil fan, he always says something along the lines of, "would you rather be right or be happy?"
    Point being, both parties involved would have to know, be aware of, and care about what the law is in each particular situation. In a public fishing environment, good luck with all that. Sure we would all like to see it that way, but practically the way to go about this is simple common courtesy from both. Just like in life, there are there rude and crude folks on land and on the water, no excuses there. Just gotta deal with it as best you can. All else fails, report it. The local fish and game normally love handing out tickets to folks that act that way.
    Rule of thumb:
    If in a boat and folks are fishing from the ramp, dock, pier, bank, or whatever that you need to get to ... slow down and communicate.
    If you are fishing from the bank where boats are known or may launch or load from. Let's not be shocked when you may need to reel in when a boat approaches.

13. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Tina

I don't know about Texas, but here in Kentucky and Pennsylvania and Ohio most boat docks by the ramp or places where boats are kept are illegal to fish from due to what you are talking about. Most people that do fish from them can see a boat coming in and never attempt to move there rods, I really don't think it's up to the boater to ask a person who is fishing where there not to be in the first place to move, that would be almost the same as stopping in a green light to allow someone to run the red light to have the right away, and I don't know about you but most people would get upset if that happened.

Dock's are made for Boats to dock up against not to fish off of unless there are posted fishing dock's. and then boaters would not be allowed near them and if thats the case the boater should be cited.

I have nothing against bank fishermen I still do it and enjoy it very much.

Just my 2 cents

14. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ah, now thats different. DH is right on the money with his comment, docks and ramps are for boats not bankfishermen. its cool to fish around them, they do attract fish but when a boat approaches please give them the right of way and reel in.

15. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    I agree . Most of the time it is a boat dock people are fishing from and they get mad at you when you "Disturb" their fishing and it shouldnt be that way. They need to understand that that area is actually for boats only.

16. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Only one time! a Dead D-cell battery seems to do the Trick especially if your good enough to Pitch it Right between the shoulder Blades.LOL J.D.
    :smile:

17. Muleskinner

Muleskinner New Member

State:
    Ms.
    Down here in Ms. if their is enough room for the boat to go around they will. But if not the fisherman will reel in.

18. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Let us remember some docks are built for fishing not for boat docking. OR in that case would it be called a pier. I guess if it is a public area you should give way.

19. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Well I guess you guys have about said it all:big_smile:

20. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    What gets me is that they are signs all over most docks and ramps in plain english (they also need to be in spanish too) that say no fishing from dock or do not obstruct dock or ramp but people still fish there.Then look at you like your the rudest person in the world just for trying to dock the boat.They just dont realize that that dock that they have their lines spread all over is the only way on and off of most boats.I fished off the bank and docks for the first 15 years of my life and I would get mad at boaters fro some of the things they do but now that I have a boat my mindset changed alot.It's alot easier for a dock or bank fisherman to reel their lines in then it is for a boat to run up on a rocky shore and tare their boat up just to get out of it.