Do blue catfish bite year round?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by 18lbflathead, Nov 19, 2006.

1. 18lbflathead

18lbflathead New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Do blue catfish bite all year round?thank you for your post.:confused2:

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Blues and Channel Cats both bite year round.:wink:

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    thats been my experience

4. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    the bite from blues seems to get better as the water temps drop. Or atleast that is what I have gathered.

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Oh yes!
    They will bite year round and especially in the winter...W

6. frymire

frymire New Member

State:
    texas
    blues especially bite better in the winter.. most guides i have fish with, don't get serious till it gets cold.. nov. dec. jan. febr. ist the best for
    for trophy blues.. channels slow down in cold weather, but they do bite..

my biggest blues come in the winter.. hint hint use fresh cut shad, don't put it on ice, put it in a baggie then on ice, if u have to.. the bait doesn't have to be a big piece.. alot of guides fillet shad and use small pieces.

set the hook, blues don't pick up bait with their hands....

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

In a word Yes. channels also

8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Agree with what was said. Blues bite year round especially in the winter months. Majority of my big blues came during the winter.

9. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    blues bite year round well exept for today spent 8 or 9 hours on the water with only a handfull of bites ( no fish ) my biggest blues are usually caught in late nov. early dec.

10. tomnt369

tomnt369 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    They pretty much bite year round. We've always been able to get fish out of the river, but the temps don't change extremely down here as in other parts of the country.

The winters have been really mild the past few years which has helped the catch.

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    If blues are biteing this time of year, I think I will try for some.

12. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    The way I look at it is that fish eat every day, we just have to figure out what they are hungry for on the colder days. You get on the river in one of those holes that are 20 or 30 feet deep, it is cold down there all the time.

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have caught alot of catfish in the winter They stack up better than summer :lol:

14. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear New Brother Ricky;
    Yep! They sure do!! You may have to fish a bit deeper/slower for them but some of the best Blue fishing is in the winter months, especially if you have a boat!
    I am a "creature" of heat and light myself. My Raven likes the colder weather herself but that is her Scottish Bard genes working.
    But, I have a Good Friend in the western half of Tennessee that has invited us to go fishing for "Big" Blues in Jan/Feb of 2007 and since he has a boat I am going to dress WARMLY, and the wife; Raven and I are going to make a weekend of it! :smile2:
    I can honestly tell you that I would NOT go if I did not believe that I had better than 50/50 odds of catching a BIG one!!
    One of our other Brothers; Deerhunter, also has some cold weather experience out on the Ohio River and I'm sure if you ask he will gladly share his hints and experience with you.:wink:
    Hopes this helps.
    Fraternally Yours,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

15. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    In Texas, if could only fish for blues six months out of the year, it would be Nov. - April. Once you locate them (on a good blues lake/river), running out of bait is not exactly rare. Blues feed year around in these parts and as had been said, they tend to stack up in winter. Also the big boys seemed to be caught more often when it is cooler. This past weekend, on the lake I fish, conditions were bascially perfect, cool morning (low 40's - high 30's), 10 - 15 mph wind. Three different fishing buddy's caught their personal best (biggest being 55 lbs) plus couple other folks caught two in the 30 - 40 lbs class. Eaters were caught by the boat loads. A bank fisherman caught 28 keepers between daylight and noon.

16. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    They feed everyday of the year. But you do have to find them. And fish where they are at to get a bite.
    Good luck.
    Pete

17. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    The bluecat is different from other catfish in that he stores little fat in his body. The blue must eat year around to survive, and he will eat just about anything that swims. The only hard and fast rule concerning what the bluecat will eat is that it must fit in his mouth.

18. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    winter time fishing means big blue cats.

19. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Oh ya I can't wait, it is getting colder and the fishin is already gettin better.

20. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Blues bite year round just find them and present them some bait. Biggers ones seem to get caught when it really starts gettting cold.