Do big catfish hang around barges

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Zcat_izmine, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Zcat_izmine

Zcat_izmine New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ive been wanting to fish a couple of bardges, but do the bigcats hang under them. do you guy's think floating a bluegill around the sides might be affective, or what do you think, cut bait maybe?

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    If they have been sitting there for a while the bluecats will use them as a current break.

3. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    WOW brad thats a killer blue u got there... whats that thing weight? 80's? And to answer the question... if the barge has been setting a while i would also agree that fish will come around it.. but i have heard that barges loaded are about 30-40 ft deep to the bottom of the boat. so i wouldnt think a bobber would be good idea. i would suggest that u find a small current and a put on about 2-4 oz of weights and get some nice shad or chubs, and let them sink about 15-20 feet away from the boat and let the current drift the bait towards the boat.. fish finder would be great to use and see before u cast.. then if they are docked i would cast close to the boat and the bank (esp. at night) and reel out into the deep about 10 feet from the bank, and try a bobber/float there. its gettin real close to spawn and some are already and if they are any sand bars i would fish them aswell with a float. remember fish come in at night to feed and this close to spawn are looking for rocks,trees, and debris in the water. and will feed VERY aggressively! hope this helps everyone.. good fishing!

4. Zcat_izmine

Zcat_izmine New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks for the advice, i just learned alot from that. i never new bardges sit that deep. what about the restraunt boats that sit on the river banks,they seem to never move.

5. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    Loaded barges only sit 10 or 11 feet in the water.There is numbers on the front and rear sides from 1-10 that shows how much is in the water.Rivers around here could not handle barges that drafted 30-40 ft.They would be stuck everywhere.And when one went by all the water would be out of the banks.:lol:

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    There are several retired barges pushed upgainst the bank in my area of the Ohio river. I have caught a lot of flatheads and seen some big flats come from them. Ive had my line snapped more than once after getting them hooked.

7. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    One of my most productive spots this year has been an anchored barge in front of a power plant water intake. Sits just off channel on an outside bend. I've had more luck fishing out from it or upstream from it. Has not produced much in the last few weeks, though.

8. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Blues will use barges as long as the barge is in the current. The baitfish stack up and rest behind these barges and thus the blues will be there too. Caught a 60lber july 06 doing this. Graphed it as I approached and guessed it at 50 or so. Took 5-7min I think to bite.
    I have fished barges that are not in current-or are sitting in a protected area with little current and have not caught blues, so .....

9. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    i fish old retired barges all the time yes flatheads hang out there. you will probably want to use a steel leader because normally there are holes rusted out in the bottom that will break your line right now.a barge is 12ft high so if there is only a ft sticking out of the water you know it is at least 11ftdeep or deeper.i will throw one line out and drop a line straight down the side of the barge on bottom with a slip sinker.hope this helps good luck.

10. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Lot of fish hang around those barges I only target full ones as they sit deeper in the water than empties, coal barges I have seen numbers as high as 18 on there sides, but most are 10-12 foot in water depth.

When there is current not a lot of current but current I like to anchor right in front in the very middle, got to make sure the anchor hangs good as you don't want to slide back under the front edge of the barge, about 50 yards away we pitch the baits right under the front and on both sides of the barge, then let the bait tumble back a few feet generally they are right under that front edge, when the current is crankin then I anchor along side the barge if the channel is close by they will use it as a highway and slide up along or under that barge, cutbait has been our main ticket we see a lot of Flatheads under those barges also.

I know some people anchor directly behind full barges but I always have trouble controlling the boat from the eddy that forms behind them during current.................Doc

11. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Cats will definitely hang around barges that have been sitting for a while. It's best if they have been sitting at least a week so they can get used to it being there.

12. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    My take is not so much that fish get used to it being there as much as the time it takes for baitfish to stack up there and the fish to find them. I believe big fish know very well whats holding baitfish in thier range and they can be there within minutes-hours when conditions are favorable.

Guess it all comes down to how well that or those fish are currently feeding where they are at and we never really know that for sure.

But who knows:roll_eyes:

The only thing I have ever found to be true 100% of the time when fishing is that when I think I know too much I am humbled to find out that its really only scratching the surface of possibillities.

13. ripleyhunter

ripleyhunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have slammed flatheads three times this year by fishing cut baits and live carp near barges. docs suggestion is the one I like. It's exactly how I do it.

14. fitzytbone1

fitzytbone1 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    this is a little off the topic, but i have heard and in some cases witnessed times when moving barges make the fishing a little better. I only fish from the banks due to a lack of a boat, but i've noticed that when a barge goes by that there is a greater chance of getting a run. Wasn't sure if this was just coincidence or that the barges kinda "scare" the fish into shallower water. Just my $.02.

15. liverboy

liverboy New Member

State:
    Tonopah, Arizona
    i do a lot of fishing of the banks but usually i noticed where i fish, when we catch little channel cats they seem to swim back to the banks, and we are not on a boat usually and they do that!:big_smile:

16. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Those cat's will definately hang around barges if it's a port where they load grain!:tounge_out:

17. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    a barge runing up or down river will change the current and put alot of pressure on the fish it drives the bait fish towards the banks and the cats follow the cats use this to their advantage being the better swimmers they nab up bait on the run

18. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    ..............................................yes...............................................

19. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    yes, you can catch cats around barges. We a have a lot of old half sunk barges on the part of the ohio river that I fish plus a few places that repair barges and have them parked sometimes for weeks at a time which makes for some good fishing also.

20. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Mike,
    Was actually my fist big flathead years back where I tucked behing this wing dike to avoid barges waves going upriver, tossed 20inch skippie right out back of boat, turned to get other rod and looked back and rod was touching water-didnt even hit the bottom!
    57lb flathead. So I am a believer that fish certainly respond-use water disturbances to thier advantage.:smile2: