Do any of you fellas..... Hand Fish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by pattyquack, Jun 25, 2006.

1. pattyquack

pattyquack New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Do any hogging( I think its called tickling or noodling in the regs).I have several guys I work with who go over in IL. to Rend(sp)Lake.I was just wondering if anyone did any of it around here

2. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    We used to do it alot around here.There are still a few people that do it in some of our local lakes.

3. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    I haven't ever been, but I would like to try it. I don't know anybody that does it around here or I would probably try to get them to show me how.

4. westkybanded

westkybanded New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Pat,

We tried it this year for the first time. It's a BLAST!!!

HOWEVER...

You will find a few folks here that don't care much for it.

Robey

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I knew a guy that did it once, they call him stubby now. LMAO

If ya like it great, and good luck to ya. I will stick to rod and reel.

6. pattyquack

pattyquack New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    One guy I work with always brings in pictures of the fish they Hog out and it got me interested...That is untill I saw one of the pics in greater detail and could see the blood running down his arm after a run in with a 30 lber that drug him around for a bit. I am a little leary that I wolud reach in under a boat ramp or in a stump and pull out a snapper!!!!

7. westkybanded

westkybanded New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The deal there is that you have to try for holes that won't have any air in them. Also, you can put your hand in the top of the hole, and bring it down on top of whatever's in there (instead of punching it in the face). Yes you will get cut up, yes you'll bleed.... I've seen you bleed before plenty of times. You can take it.

Best way I've ever heard it described is to imagine sneaking into someone's back yard in the middle of the night who has a pitbull. Run your hand into the doghouse and slap him arround til you get it to swallow your arm... Then pull it out.

It's not for everyone, but it sure is fun!

8. brian89

brian89 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    the way i do it is feel around for holes with my feet in deeper water, and in shallow places just use your hand, then i have a broken off ultra-lite fishing pole thats very sensitive and i stick it in the hole and feel around, believe me you can tell if theres a fish in there when you go in.. its always soft on the side and easy to know its in there.. alot of times the holes are too big and you have to use the stick to feel the fish way back there cause your hand wont reach.. and flatheads will just lay back there most of the time and not come out to you like a blue will.. blues will tear you a new one.. i dunno why they gotta be so pissed off all the time.. but i love noodling, not many other ways you can get about 300 lbs of fish in an afternoon of it..

9. creature19_99

creature19_99 New Member

State:
    Pikeville, Kentucky
    Some of the older guys around here used to do it under train bridges with concrete peers where mud and silt ran a couple feet deep and was good rock formations. I do know several that say they have nearly been drowned by some cats that were so big, so be careful. I would also like to try it sometime :big_smile:

10. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Well it is illegal in ohio, but i do live close to ky and travel to other states... it is a blast, the best way to do it is get a piece of light and flexable rod of some sort like bamboo, although bamboo isnt great when u hook a big boy, then at the end of it put a large hook, then find a nice hold and feel the entrance, it should be smooth, and no sticks or debris, then if there isnt there is a fish inside more than likely, BUT if there is MOVE ON turtle, snapper, beaver, and so on... then u slide ur stick back along the top of the rock and let it fall down.. keep moving the stick till u feel something smooth, that is the fish, usually 15-20+ will just lie there and not move, but anything under 15 lbs... gl trying to hook, look for big rocks on the side of the creek/lake that the rocks come off that bank, or the most rocky bank, this shelters many of the bigger cats, then when u feel him, turn the hook down towards the fish and yank REAL hard, if u miss try again real fast, make sure all holes are blocked, when u hook him, just hold it steady, dont pull the fish all the way out of the hole or he WILL get loose, keep him under the rock and put him on stranger, better job for 2 or more ppl... my first time i went i got a 25, 18,12, and 8 the same rock that had the 25 had a 30 in it... and remember dont get all the holes and LEAVE the fish if u feel any eggs... after u get out the cat(s) reach in with ur hand and feel for eggs, if there is then leave them and possibly the catfish... this will help the catfish population sustain.. thanks.. and i hope this helps and hope its one day legal in ohio, of course with regulations..

11. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Way too much work and pain involved to be fun at my age.