Do Any Companies Lend Rods & Reels?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by OhioRiverCatfisher, Jul 11, 2008.

1. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I am thinking of approaching my local police departments with an idea for a catfish tournament for kids. I work with a youth center in a tough part of my city and would like to give some of the kids (here and city wide) a day of fishing and fun as well as making new friends with some of our local police officers. I figure a good name for it would be "Cops, Kids & Catfish". I know I can probably get pop, pizza, etc donated for the weigh in as well as some awards and prizes. Hopefully maybe even rides for them in my city's river division patrol boat and get our conservation officers involved as well. Maybe even some help from local BOC members. Here is my problem...I would need rods & reels to use for the day. Without these you could say I am up the creek without a paddle and no sense in proceeding...I think some of the manufacturers use to loan equipment to organizations such as the boy scouts and girl scouts but I am not sure. If anyone has any info about loaner programs or has set up or helped with an event like this any input from you would sure be appreciated 100%. If there is not enough time to do this before school starts this year it sure would be a help for planning an event like this next year. Thanks for any help or suggestions.......

2. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I don't know of any place that would do a loan. Out here in California, the Department of Fish and Game as a "Fishing in the City" program http://www.dfg.ca.gov/oceo/fishcity/ that is, in some ways, similar to what you are trying to do. However, ,the program owns the rods and reels, and they loan that equipment in exchange for the gear.

-- Rich

3. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i live in north carolina and we have done the kids fishing day am thinking our leaders went to bass pro gander mt wal mart and zebco they always had enought rods and reels for the kids hope this helps bobs bait

4. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Why not take em juggin? I can`t think of a way to have more fun, cheap. The kids would just flat love it. Course you would need to think it thru...:big_smile:

5. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Check with your DNR...

Most have a equipment Loan program as well as Youth specific programs.. You'd probably want to start there.

6. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I think your states game and fish department could help ya out. If they don't have a fishing derby program where you live they might at least be able to help you with some other suggestions. You may even contact Zebco. Zebco used to love promotions like that especially if they get to put their name on it as one of the sponsors.

7. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Check with Zebco reels. They have a high interest with these types of programs and dropped the BOC based on our lack of kid events, etc.

They may bite, as kids is a large part of their marketing.

8. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Paul beat me to it. Try Zebco, I know they took care of a Disabled Kids catfish roundup here in SC. I posted pics off what we got from them to use, Going Catfishing with 140 kids... ,in the SC local talk page.

9. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    WOW! sounds like Zebco is pretty focused on the important things. I am almost embarressed to hear they dropped the BOC for such a horrible reason. Can we do anything about this?

10. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Contact the bigget local sporting good store in area, give them the whys and wheres of whgat you plan to do. Cabelas BassPro, Any major tackle manuf. Get others to support and they will come to help.

Great idea, go for it.

11. OhioRiverCatfisher

State:
    West Virginia
    Gary, thanks for the suggestion...I think this would start as a one time event but if it is successful there may be a possibility of an annual event. Kind of a wait and see what happens type of deal. If It works out and is successful I will sure let all you good people on BOC know and maybe you guys can move forward with the idea in your own cities or towns. Then maybe I can help you with how to go about organizing it. I sure do thank EVERYONE for all the suggestions that have been posted...A GREAT HELP!!

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Great idea for one or two kids; if you're using a pontoon, maybe even several kind. But, for 20-30 kids, you're probably stuck with bank fishing a pond somewhere. We have several somewhat similar events locally, but it's aimed at all kids, and they have to furnish their own rods & reels. Here's what I quickly found on the web about one of them:
    "Pinnacle Mountain State Park is the place for kids who love to fish to be on Saturday morning May 31st. A Kid's Fishing Derby will be held from 8 to 11 a.m at the Environmental Education Pond. There will be fishing clinics, snacks and prizes. Kids will need to bring their own bait and tackle."
    I'm not promoting this specific derby, it just happened to be the first one I clicked on. There are several of these in the metropolitan area every summer. There's even one on the AFB.

13. OhioRiverCatfisher

State:
    West Virginia
    I want to thank everyone that made a suggestion to me for the "Cops & Kids Catfish Tournament" that I am trying to put together. I have found a source for the rods & reels and have been talking to local businesses about getting involved and the response has been more positive than I expected. My next step is to sell the local police lodge on the idea at one of their meeting this fall. Hopefully they will want to go forward with it but with legal liabilities involved (being at the river with kids, etc) who knows. I am going to talk to a local attorney friend today to see if he would be willing to draw up a liability release for the event. I am just trying to get enough info together to sell everyone on the idea this fall. I fish the Ohio River so snags are something I am use to dealing with. A few snags in the river never stopped me from fishing there so a few snags here should not stop me with this. Great if it can take place and if it does not, I at least tried... Once again, THANKS TO ALL THAT POSTED and I will sure let everyone know what happens... Doug

14. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I'm reallly happy your getting positive responses. That often happens when we try to do something good. It's just about getting past the doubt and checking it out.