DO’S and DON’Ts for other newbie’s like me

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by CatHunterSteve, Jun 22, 2009.

1. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Fished the upper New River this week-end and learned a couple of DO’S and DON’Ts which I would like to pass along for other newbie’s like me….

1. If you are going to use circle hooks, DO use them on all of your rods you are fishing with at the time. (Or mark them somehow so you will know which have circle hooks on them and which don’t…it’s got to be an old age thing, can’t remember anything.)
    2. If you are going to use circle hooks DON’T “box their jaws”, load the poll and start reeling. (Another hard lesson learned as I reeled in an empty circle hook and no bait)
    3. It you are going to use circle hooks, DO use them on all of your rods you are fishing with at the time. (That was a hard lesson learned and worth repeating! See #4.)
    4. DON’T let a catfish load up a rod with a Kayel hook on it and try to reel him in without “boxing his jaws”, probably won’t work. (At least I got to see him up close to the boat before he spit the Kayel hook out in my face!)
    5. DO read and re-read and then read again, everything your fellow brothers and sisters of the BOC are saying on this board, matters not if they are talking to you or another member, it all applies and will to teach you, then DO go out and put it into practice. (You will have a ball catching catfish!)
    6. Mud turtles, or “snapping turtles” as we call them around here, do not care if that fresh cut bluegill was for the catfish, they love them too…….DO take a pair of needle nose pliers with you to relieve the turtle of your circle hook in it’s mouth.
    7. DON’T get mud in the boat on or around the spot where your wife likes to sit and fish!
    8. DO consult your wife before putting your homemade 2” PVC pipe “rod holder” right where she likes to sit and fish! (This way you will avoid the effort of putting the rod holder in and then taking it out again and moving it.)
    9. DO separate all snelled hooks and leaders into separate baggies or somehow unless you got plenty of time to unravel the mess the leaders make when you don’t! ( DO watch Big George’s video on how to snell hooks all the way through! …..I should have. )
    10. If you are fishing brush piles in heavy current DO take many more sinkers than you think you will need. (Where on here did I read about using “slinky sinkers” in brush piles to avoid getting hung up and loosing everything? See #14)
    11. Not all “structure” shows up on the depth finder, especially underwater rocks in front of the boat or floating logs in fast current. DO boat safely! (Thank goodness I am old and slow, cause I still have an intact lower unit.)
    12. Do fish structure! (Is this a bass fishing site? See #12)
    13. If you are talking to 2 bass fishing guides, DO give them a flyer from the BOC! (But beware, they get a little touchy about the a largemouth bass being depicted as a baitfish for catfish! I was trying to recruit them into the BOC, might still join up, I hope they do!)
    14. If you do not have a livewell in your boat, DON’T cut the only “stringer” you own into 6-8 inch strips and fill them with BB’s to make “slinky sinkers” up, just because it was the only hollow type cord you had. ( BB’s probably aren’t heavy enough anyway, try O or OO buckshot. And “flat shoestrings are not hollow; I worked 5 minutes trying to “open” a flat shoe string because I thought they were, DO use round bootlaces to make your “slinky sinkers and remember to use them when you are fishing brush piles in heavy current. See #10)
    15. If they are not biting on the bottom, DO try a three-way swivel and get your bait up off of the bottom, or a long leader and a slip cork float to float it up off the bottom, both work very well at getting the bait to the fish.
    16. When you come in off the river and DON’T leave you rods lying in the boat with you cut gill hanging over the edge just in the water, a catfish WILL help himself or herself to your cut gill. (Thanks to the circle hook, got the catfish, did not loose the rod and reel, this time.)
    I hope this little list will help somebody out there, I really got a laugh out of learning most of these both DO’s and DON’Ts. I am not too old to laugh at my mistakes, I sure do laugh a lot here lately.
    And finally, DO enjoy the pursuit of our beloved catfish, practice CPR with the big boys and take a kid fishing!

2. CatHunterSteve

State:
    Snowville, Va
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24644 This is the link to Big Georges instructions on snelling hooks and storing them, I forgot to put it in the original post.

3. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    catfishin on movin water 101... sounds like you had great time:big_smile:

4. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    I really did enjoy reading your post Steve, sound like LOTS of excitement.

5. CatHunterSteve

State:
    Snowville, Va
    It was a great time James, and thanks for the responce.

6. CatHunterSteve

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Thanks Chris, it was fun looking around the river and trying to figure out what to do and where to fish according to the things I learned here on the site.
    I wanted to try for one of those big flatties but could not figue out how to fish the laydowns for flatties as far as ancoring above them and getting the bait under all the trash that had collected on the surface above them.
    Glad you enjoyed the post!

7. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Here's my list
    DO have fun regardless!
    DON'T give up it's always fun!:big_smile:

ps ....the learning curve never ends.

8. CatHunterSteve

State:
    Snowville, Va
    And it's a good lst indeed! I agree with your list 100% and thanks for the reply!

9. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
  10. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Best post I have read in a while. Thanks!

11. CatHunterSteve

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Thanks Kenneth, have a safe trip home!