DNR Stocking of Blue cats - Update

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Salmonid, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Got an email back form my main contact within DNR regarding an update on the state stocking Blues in the near future and here is an excerpt from that reply:
    "We are really looking forward to getting our feet wet concerning blue cat production at the hatcheries. These critters look like an ideal animal to utilize our over-abundant gizzard shad at our high-turnover lakes like Dillion, for example and provide a trophy fishery. Understand, it will be very difficult to even start due to disease concerns, receiving import permits for the Department of Ag and finding room in our hatcheries for a new program. We will be taking baby steps and hope to bring in our first fish in this year from Kentucky and hopefully stock our first lake in 2010 with yearlings."

and this tidbit from a followup email:

" We will be looking at several sources and may just start with wild broodfish like KY but ours will need to be tested for catfish virus before they can come into the state. KY’s broodfish are positive for the virus.
    Rich Zweifel is responsible for doing the literature review on bluecats and we believe they will fill a different niche than the channels. Forage in these Ohio Reservoirs is on a whole different plane than most States."

I asked about any other lakes and rivers but got the typical non-response from them but will continue to follow up every few months to see where they are at with this new program.

Salmonid

2. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    At least they are working on it.

And Dillon is at the top of the short list lol.

Are they saying the wild fish in the Ohio river have some kind of virus? Or is it the pen raised fish they use for propagation in KY?

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Skip, I am assuming the KY brood fish which also provides WV with there fish are the ones with the virus, dont know which virus it is but that would mean almost all the ones in the Ohio River have it, I am sure they want to start with pure strain so they do not infect the other cats at whatever hatchery they raise them at.

Having them list Dillon right away is a plus, since they will need a Brood stock lake to get there eggs from so that "may" mean a heavier then normal stocking program there so they can always find pregnant hens for egg gathering, ( Like they do with Clear Fork Lake for muskies and CJ Brown for walleyes, eggs for saugeye production) This insures success when they need eggs. Long term, they may try to box breed blues but I know that is a tough call keeping brooders well fed with shad and then the success rate is not all that good so its costly, time and space consuming so thats why I think they will stock a lake heavy and just go gather the eggs when they need them. Just my .02

Salmonid

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    rivers, we need them in the rivers

5. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Trust me Jack, Im working on them but as you know, DNR has there sights on Lake Erie and inland lakes. ( Period) From years of working with the on Trout Stocking in the Mad River, that river stocking was always the exception......they act like they dont like to stock rivers because its easy for folks to shut off access and inland lakes are much easier for folks to get to there fish to catch and keep, ( remember the states motto is" we stock so everyone will catch and eat them" ) once they are stocked, they have done there service and want there back patted for a job well done.
    Now would be a good time to let DNR folks know that rivers are where the blues do the best and where they should be reintroduced.
    Rivers like the Muskingum, Scioto, Little Miami and even the lower GMR are all prime rivers. I am positive they would never put them into anything that drains into Lake erie, ( although the Maumee would be a awesome fishery) heaven forbid a fish that grows up big enough to eat a precious walleye but with the fragile fishery there and being part of the Great lakes Council, it would never fly so us southern guys in the state need to start working on them.:wink:

Salmonid

6. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    w.va.. started stocking blue cats in there part of the ohio, the gallipolis pool any way, i have personally seen some put in.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This is great! Dillon would be a great start. I'm sure they are considering the other effects of blues being in the river systems as well. If they are introduced in Dillon, they will be in the Licking River, and Muskingum below the Y-bridge Zanesville area as well. I wonder how the they will effect the river dam to dam on the Muskingum over the years? Gonna be interesting... Maybe some birds can carry some north to me as well:roll_eyes::wink: rollo

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Although blue cats are cool, I think they would compete too much with the flatheads for forage thus the flats won't get as big as before the blues came into play.

Blues seem to adapt very well to tidal/brackish rivers.

9. Still_Waters...

Still_Waters... New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I may have missed it, but what about CJ, if they are looking for a lake with tons of shad for quick healthy growth that sounds like a good place to me, unless they are trying to avoid competition with the wallys I don't see why they wouldn't consider that as a good place.

or am I wrong?

and on a side note, how do you think they would feel about a privately funded flathead stocking program, I know it would take a long time and some coin in the long run, but if they'd throw a slot limit or some similar regs I wouldn't mind raising a few.

10. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    that would be nice to see them stocked in the lakes.but i think they would do better in the deeper lakes.

11. Ben Noll

Ben Noll New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man,would that be great or what.Having real Blues stocked in Dillon.That gives me a rush.I have been fortunate enough to have fished the Santee -Cooper Lakes on eight different occasions.The Blues are awesome-not only fighting but tasting.Hopefully,if this comes to pass in the near future, some tight regulations will be in place untill the population, size wise,can stand a harvest.I'm sure a daily limit would be in effect untill we have established a short history of production.Dillon is a fantastic Channel Cat lake so I'm assuming Blues would do here what they have done.I'm pumped.Great fishing and be safe.

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Mark, the next time you send an E-mail, let them know that the Virginia DNR thinks there are too many Blues in the James river. They could get some stock from there. lol

13. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    Mark thank you for the info rick the little miami are you talking the little miami towards Cincinnati and Lockland that would be sweet if they were close to dayton what about ceasar creek lake would be a good place for the blues rick

14. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    just curious about ceasar creek big deep lake with good channels and surface area i thought that might be a good lake for blues rick

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mark got a question concerning blues.

Dip caught a 12-lb blue cat in the scioto this year, first one I have ever saw.

And yes it was a blue, dip has caught many of them...So if there is one there has to be more, right?

16. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    Jack blues would be very good I always wondered about ceasar creek very good channel flow and parts of the lake are around 100 feet deep it would be a good place for them

17. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio