DNR needs your input!!!

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by SCcatfishing, Nov 13, 2009.

1. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    Public asked to provide input on potential projects for Lake Hartwell PCB Settlement
    The Georgia Department of Natural Resources, South Carolina Department of Natural Resources, South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control, United States Army Corps of Engineers and the United States Fish and Wildlife Service want your feedback about how to spend the remaining Lake Hartwell PCB settlement funds from the Schlumberger Technology Corporation.
    Take a Survey
    You can provide input by taking an online survey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=X_2bxLg8oMkcHQh1CnEo2Iow_3d_3d or attending a public meeting on November 17 from 6-9 p.m. at the Anderson Civic Center. Videos and a detailed report about the different settlement project options can be found online at www.dnr.sc.gov/news/fishingcomp.
    Background Information
    In 1995, the Lake Hartwell Natural Resource Trustees initiated work to acquire a settlement for natural resource injuries to Lake Hartwell associated with PCB contamination. Their findings indicated two major areas of natural resource injury: (1) Ecological Injury, especially to Twelvemile Creek, and (2) the Recreational Fishery Injury of Lake Hartwell. A settlement with Schlumberger Technology Corporation (STC) was achieved in 2006, resulting in approval of a consent decree in federal court on May 30, 2006. The Ecological Injury is being addressed by removal of the two Woodside Dams and associated stream restoration. The Ecological Injury was further addressed by the funds being provided for biological monitoring of dam removal and some additional stream restoration projects in the watershed.
    The injury to the Lake Hartwell recreational fishery is the primary focus of the plan under consideration. Because of the presence of PCBs, fish consumption advisories have been in place on Lake Hartwell since 1976. By restricting people’s ability to keep and consume the fish they catch, consumption advisories have been shown to reduce the value of a water body to recreational anglers. This reduction in value resulting from PCB’s and the associated advisories is the basis of the injury to the recreational fishery.

2. slojam

slojam New Member

State:
    scarolina
    my grandpa bought his 12acre farm at golden creek in the 60's(retired from Glennwood.) watched the 12 mile turn from a pretty place into kind of a hurting/pitiful place off and on growing up...hope this is the do'all& end'all for gettin it right.mama worked at sangamo puttin those capacitors together(who knew) while dad was stationed in southeast asia.I was livin on the lake in the asbury area with a newborn child in the 70's when the report went mainstream....i thought what a waste...actually walked in the house with a stringer of catfish and my wife told me to watch this story on the local news...deflated me big time.hartwell never looked the same again..sure has affected lots of people in different ways.didn't feed my kid (or kids later)any of those fish for a long,long time.hope mr.Anderson takes it balls to the wall.feel for those folks that really got sick & paid the price from this mess.

3. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    I live less than 10 miles from Lake Hartwell, yet I travel 100 miles to fish in the cleaner South Carolina waters. Why? Because I eat many of the catfish I catch. I love catfish and could eat them 5 or 6 times a week, but not the ones from Lake Hartwell.

This dam removal and cleanup is long past due and I hope the stalling is almost over. One day I hope to be able to travel 20 minutes to the launch ramp and eat the fish I catch. Is that too much to ask?