DNR hires commerical fishermen

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by bwhupp, Dec 11, 2007.

1. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Read this in the news democrat today off their website. Looks like they are wanting to hire fishermen to jerk those asian carp out of the Kaskaskia River for the next three weeks.

The trial DNR contract allows crews to remove Asian carp below the carlyle lake spillway using gill and trammel nets.

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Have a link? Is an interesting concept, but you know that ever other fish is also going to be taken, and for what it is worth it really isn't going to accomplish much of anything as far as the Asian Carp go, so with that being my opinion, I think I need to call my ol' river rat buddy and "barrow" a few of his 5' trams, and fill the freezer just like anyone else will that they let do this :wink: cept them things get awful heavy to lift into the boat when full, BW (you ol' bait catcher you) you seem to have a VERY strong back indeed :wink: :wink: :wink:, ah yes, freezer full of walleyes and Saugs and big crappie, and, and ,and LOL...... permit is what like $35 a year.

3. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I'm with Randy. If they are in fact doing this, I'm sure that more than just Asian carp will be taken. I do have to admit that I've enjoyed some nice battles, snagging 20# carp on 6# test fishing for white bass. Brian - when we hit the river next year, bring a catchers mask so those big jumpin' carp don't give you a black eye :wink:

4. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Maybe when they get the IHSA Fishing CLubs, I will put that on the list of things needed (catcher mask). :smile2:

Fired the link at ya Randy. Not much to it really.

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Dang I was reading the other day, now I have to find it again, about where they have already run that this past summer (?) somewhere in the state (???) was telling about the teams who competed and future items.....let me look

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Your not kidding there! I have my old "flack jacket" you can use too! :smile2: that gets down right dangerous, especially when you run for a while through clear water then kind forget about it and round a bend and wham! Arron, you can always stick BW up front with the 12. gauge and some 00 buck! LOL Hmmm, Asian carp shootn....LOL

7. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    "Pull!" BOOM :smile2:

Looks like a lot of work running those nets. Those gill nets though... they kind of swim into it and shove t heir head in and get stuck by the gills... right? At least that is how I would imagine it work and the name of the nets came about.

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yep BW, that5s how they work and thats why no matter what gets in them they are usually either dead or going to be! :angry: That's why I said no matter what they say to take and not to take, it won't matter, I think it is a bad idea, my $0.02 on it.......... it's nothing more than a, Ohhh Look they are taking them out BS campaign.

9. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Only thing I could see beneficial is if nets were designed specifically to fit a certain fish species.. but ya, that isn't the case naturally. I am a bit against it as well. Lets just have everyone out there with a shotgun instead and wait until they jump.

10. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I had 4 of them jump in the boat in one day , and one of them broke the windshield right off the boat . Most of them were 15-25 lbs. one smaller one jump out of the water all the way over the boat sideways and over my head at the same time. needed my Quail gun. Please keep us poasted if you can on whats going on on this commerical fisherman subcontracting project. Thanks Paul

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yes Paul, it looks quite funny on tv, but when you get to see 20#s of meat smashing your equipment or you it soon gets old real quick eh... most don't realize how scary and dangerous it can get until their first outing when your running the water they start jumping all around.....:crazy:
    Randy

12. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I will watch and see if I can dig up more info as it comes. My god.. I am scared to go in Aaron's little jonnyboy. I fear if that many fish jump in that boat, we will sink. :smile2::smile2::smile2:

13. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Hello gentleman. Small article in the Centralia Sentinal. Not much info. Just basic blibber-blubber.:embarassed: When I fished behind the spillway on the 1st of Dec. the carp were so thick on top you could have walked across to the other shore and never touched water. Caught numerous 15-20lbs with the cast net. very slow and sluggish nin the cold water. My question is, why 3 weeks? Thats a long period of time to cover such little amount of water. No mention of how far downstream they plan on "DREDGING"! Another wonderful idea by our wonderful, gun-hating bueracracy. Why dont we just introduce another ravinopus carnivore such as a cougar(mountain lion), wolf, or a shark of some sort to control the population? Sounds like the dept. of interiors M.O. Sorry about the rant, but stupidity is one of my all-time petpeeves. And I might be a little pessimistic but I feel they will hurt the fishery beyond repair. And Im pissed because I really wanted to try and fish there this weekend.

Fixin' broken arms with Band-aids,

Dr. Dru :tounge_out:

H

14. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    FISH FRY, Taken oreders...:wink:

15. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    LOL Randy

3 weeks is all it will take to take all the fish out of the waterways. So then the problem is fixed. Do I have to tell you guys everything. :smile2:

16. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    maybe we(usa) could sell them back where they came from. i would geuess they will make thier way into the market though. blak:eek:oooh: Mc-fillet-o-fish anyone? lol

17. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    December outdoor life.

18. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    That may have very well been where I read on it thanks

19. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I guess I am a bit confused on what it is that you are saying about it being a great thing? the setting of the nets at Carlyle? or the Asian carp being here? They are both very bad and the netting here is going to sadly do nothing but hurt the fish that are already in trouble in that part of the Kaskaskia river, True the removal of the carp would be a great thing but reality is reality, the setting of nets for 3 weeks or 3 months is going to do nothing below that dam but remove the quality fish that have already managed to find a way to survive there....... This is the reason I can say that people who fish below Carlyle in the Kasky are on an entirely different water system than the ones above the dam, and it is only because of that fish. And for the first timers as I am sure you know seeing where you fish, you have to warn them on the boating, and sadly most don't believe ya until they go out and come back with a black eye or broken equipment from them fish, I also think it is just a matter of time before they get into the Great Lakes system, and sadly that is when EVERYONE from Canada and around will really set up and say WOOW! we should have worked on this 10 years ago. It would be nice to find either a gene that only the Asian carries that could be targeted to kill them, other than that I just don't see any way of ever controlling them. That is truly sad.

20. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    It is a shame... all I know is, if it comes in my boat, it's going to die. If I get any, it's going to become my bait or ground up as chum. That's about all I think they are good for.